• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Age issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcnj

Hi. I am interested in a career in Naval Aviation. However, I am 29 so I don't know if I have any options. I had applied to and was accepted as an SNA a few years back but opted not to go to OCS due to a few tragedies in my life at the time. My recruiter told me to apply again when I was ready. I have a good job and love what I am doing, but can't get this flying in the Navy out of my mind. I know I want it and know I could do it and serve my country as an officer and pilot quite well. I am working on getting a PPL now and am about to solo, well ahead of average (according to my instructor). What can I do? A friend of my instructor was a Navy F-18 pilot and Top Gun instuctor. He says there are ways to deal with this situation, especially given my talent for flying. My dad also served in the Navy, but not as an aviator. I know I could get recommendations from my recruiter and some very successful Navy veterans. If none of this is possible, what other careers are available? What is age cutoff for NFO, for example? I would appreciate any help on this. Thank you.

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
I know the age limit is in the lower 30's. Not sure if it is start by then or wing by then though. Your ability will not make a bit off difference as to being accepted or not. Civilian flying matters very little in the navy, and matter 0 in the application process except to show hat you have hobbies and are well rounded.
Go talk to a recruiter YESTERDAY if this is what you really want to do. Get the answer... MAKE THEM SHOW IT TO YOU in writing and apply yesterday.

HueyHornet75

pilot
dcnj,

i don't mean to rain on the parade, but the navy recruiter wouldn't even look at me for SNA because i had just turned 27...he tried like hell to reel me into the NFO slot, but the Marines were giving out waivers then, so i went Marine. apparently, even the Marines are doing away with the age waiver. i think there are a bunch of recent posts regarding that exact situation. good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.