• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Afterburner Seminars trademarking wearing of Flightsuits

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It has now surfaced that Afterburner, Inc actually sells "Military Grade Flighr Suits" on their webpage.....trying to figure that one out. That sets up situation in which they will gladly sell you a flight suit, but then sue you for wearing it? Unless, if you buy THEIR flight suit, you get a license to wear it in public???...or do they give you a SOP on when and where you can wear it???

http://www.afterburnerstore.com/Military-Grade-Flight-Suit-_p_16.html
Crazy, indeed. A flight suit, which has value solely because they are used by the military and the respect and associations that brings with it, has not gained any unique distinctiveness in use by Afterburner or automatically is associated with Afterburner. That would be a requirement of Trademark. So maybe that is why they are selling their own, to establish some claim to distinctiveness. Still a stretch not worth Patent and Trademark Office time, let alone the courts.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeager is not the issue here. It is the incredible arrogance of Afterburner to try to capitalize on what we have all worn in our service, for their own largesse.

Some good men are paying heavy legal fees, defending themselves from Afterburner's flight suit patent litigation, even if it will likely fail. This is just incredibly bad! Those Afterburner guys should be ashamed of themselves!

ryan1234

Is this specifically a trademark against other people in the same type of business wearing a flight suit? I'm not sure the countless contractor and civilian air show pilots are going find a new type of nomex attire.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Is this specifically a trademark against other people in the same type of business wearing a flight suit? I'm not sure the countless contractor and civilian air show pilots are going find a new type of nomex attire.
If I recall, it doesn't necessarily have to be in the same craft or class of business. The trademark is to prevent exploiting the mark for profit without permission of the trademark holder. So, I suppose it could be any business. In reality, it appears AB is going after their competitor military theme team building/leadership businesses to weaken their product and cost them money to defend.

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
These f-tards, like most military themed consulting teams, are a ridiculous drain on the collective. Let them fight it out in the courts and hopefully bankrupt themselves in the process. Anyone stupid enough to pay money to have the military style of leadership and management brought to them by someone wearing a flight suit probably deserves what they get.
Yeah, I get it, they are making money and are (were) the real deal. So fucking what. At the end of the day, I like to think that I am well respected by my colleagues, not laughed at. Anyone wearing a flight suit that doesn't require fire retardant pajamas in their everyday job is a joke.

BigRed389

None
These f-tards, like most military themed consulting teams, are a ridiculous drain on the collective. Let them fight it out in the courts and hopefully bankrupt themselves in the process. Anyone stupid enough to pay money to have the military style of leadership and management brought to them by someone wearing a flight suit probably deserves what they get.
Yeah, I get it, they are making money and are (were) the real deal. So fucking what. At the end of the day, I like to think that I am well respected by my colleagues, not laughed at. Anyone wearing a flight suit that doesn't require fire retardant pajamas in their everyday job is a joke.

You just killed Flight Suit Fridays...

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
Well I guess the good side is if you're ever in dire need of a flight suit and supply can't get you your right size, you can just buy one.

IRfly

None
It has now surfaced that Afterburner, Inc actually sells "Military Grade Flighr Suits" on their webpage.....trying to figure that one out. That sets up situation in which they will gladly sell you a flight suit, but then sue you for wearing it? Unless, if you buy THEIR flight suit, you get a license to wear it in public???...or do they give you a SOP on when and where you can wear it???

http://www.afterburnerstore.com/Military-Grade-Flight-Suit-_p_16.html

That's only a $100 markup. Call it the stupid tax for people who can't use google.

http://www.carterny.com/green-us-military-fire-resistant-nomex-flight-suit-cwu-27-p-html

Renegade One

None
What a ridiculous sham on all accounts. I can't believe any business would pay for their shtick.
You'd be surprised what "corporate America" buys in terms of eye-candy motivational speakers for "leadership development seminars". I think it's actually a growth industry…

Part of me sez I like the fact that they seem to value all sorts of ex-military personnel, experiences and "lessons in life" as a PME-type event. The rest of me is as dismissive as the rest of you. It probably sells better in Kansas City or Tupelo than it does in San Diego or Norfolk, but I dunno…

I'd rather listen to these guys than to Bruce Jenner….if there's donuts.

Pags

N/A
pilot
I'm just not impressed since their "product" could be provided by just about any former military officer.

I get that it may sound cool to a mid sized company that doesn't have a military influence nearby, but I'm skeptical of pretty much the entire motivational industry.

brownshoe

Contributor
I guess the flight jacket that I wear for everyday use because it's lightweight, warm and comfortable, will have to be thrown in the trash soon because I could get sued! What next? Am I going to have to stop spit shining my shoes?

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
but I'm skeptical of pretty much the entire motivational industry.

Maybe you need Matt Foley to get you back on track:
tumblr_mn7w0nB9E31sogz7po1_400.gif