• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

After the ASTB

Maine Vaulter

USMC Candidate - Air
This is my first post so I thought I should add some background: I'm a Highschool senior going to Mercyhurst College in PA next year.
I have a couple of questions. Thank you to anyone who can help:

1. What type of score would I need to get on the ASTB to get a flight slot?

2. Is there a particular month that it's better to take the test in, due to less people taking it and thus less competition?

3. My OSO said that the soonest I can take the test is June, but would it be better to wait until I am actualy in college?

Thanks,

Dave

Kickflip89

Below Ladder
None
Contributor
This is my first post so I thought I should add some background: I'm a Highschool senior going to Mercyhurst College in PA next year.
I have a couple of questions. Thank you to anyone who can help:

1. What type of score would I need to get on the ASTB to get a flight slot?

2. Is there a particular month that it's better to take the test in, due to less people taking it and thus less competition?

3. My OSO said that the soonest I can take the test is June, but would it be better to wait until I am actualy in college?

Thanks,

Dave

1. I think my OSO said competitive was 58 6 6 6 or something around there, but that was for OCS. Be safe and try to get at least these kinds of scores.

2. No, just make sure you don't take it until you are prepared to do well.

3. I don't know what the timeline for NROTC is, but if you are eligible to apply, then take it as soon as you are ready. Keep in mind that you can only take it 3 times EVER, so do not throw away your first attempt--try to make it count.

Good luck.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If he's going to Mercyhurst he's looking at OCS since there's no NROTC there, crosstown or otherwise.

Maine Vaulter

USMC Candidate - Air
yah, Mercyhurst has ROTC but unfortunatly no NROTC. My reason for asking question #3 is to find out who would have a better shot at a flight contract: A highschool grad who applies early or a college freshman who applies midway through the first semester.

Maine Vaulter

USMC Candidate - Air
One more question:

When do you start normal getting pay and BAH? Is it immediatly after commissioning (sp?)? Or at the start of TBS?

Thank you

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
You dont get paid until you start TBS. You can do PTAD for 2 months prior to leaving for TBS (if you can get it). In between, you wait and do whatever you gotta do. Get a job or have fun if you can afford to. The time depends on when you go. You can put in for a first available date or I believe you can request a certain date. A candidate in our pool requested a date a few classes later than he could have went because he was getting married.