• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

After graduation, how long before you started IFS/API?

KCRSXTypeS

Im a first year senior at KU and have 1 more year to go. I know the last few years that most of the people selected for flight school spent anywhere from 1-6 months at our unit just doing BS work before they needed to report to PCola.

I wanted to know if this is common because I have a fiance and we plan on getting married once I am commissioned but we need to be able to set a date for the wedding and if I am more than likely going to be reporting the week after graduation then we can't do it. I just want to know if it is common to have a few months before starting flight training. Thanks.

ac2NASTY

AC -> OC -> O3E
pilot
I will start by saying I don't have the answer to your question. I'm active duty and applying for the sta-21, pilot option. My goal is to go back home, to KU, if selected and earn my degree in aero engineering. I'm curious how the KU ROTC division works and any stories or suggestions you have. Again sorry I don't the answer to your question.

KCRSXTypeS

I will start by saying I don't have the answer to your question. I'm active duty and applying for the sta-21, pilot option. My goal is to go back home, to KU, if selected and earn my degree in aero engineering. I'm curious how the KU ROTC division works and any stories or suggestions you have. Again sorry I don't the answer to your question.

Awesome! good luck being selected!

I must say that I'm not sure how it is at other NROTC units, or even in the real Navy, but there is a LOT of bullshit to put up with and being active duty it may get to you more than the normal kid joining the unit right out of highschool.

Most of the guys that we have that are OCs hate the BS but put up with it. I hate the BS too but since Ive never been in the fleet I don't know how much of "BS" it really is.

I will say that I am having a great time and learning a lot. I really feel our unit trains you for what you will need when you graduate. I will talk to you about this a little more when I have more time. I'll PM you.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Awesome! good luck being selected!

I must say that I'm not sure how it is at other NROTC units, or even in the real Navy, but there is a LOT of bullshit to put up with and being active duty it may get to you more than the normal kid joining the unit right out of highschool.

Most of the guys that we have that are OCs hate the BS but put up with it. I hate the BS too but since Ive never been in the fleet I don't know how much of "BS" it really is.

I will say that I am having a great time and learning a lot. I really feel our unit trains you for what you will need when you graduate. I will talk to you about this a little more when I have more time. I'll PM you.

The bottom line is that there is no way of knowing in advance. It is just as likely that you will wait around your ROTC unit for several weeks, as it is that you'll get orders immediately and have to report to Pensacola quickly. While it is my counsel to you not to get married during this period of your career, if you must, then wait until you get to Pensacola. Once there, you'll have a better idea of how long the wait will be.

Brett

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
To add on to Brett's post, you might want to poke around the site. I have a feeling the question has been asked before...even recently.

SnipeDude

Cleveland Brown Fan
Welcome to the Navy! Semper Gumby (Always Flexible)

Once you get commissioned you are going to be on Active Duty so be prepared to go immediately after graduation, however, you can probably get some stash time if you ask. You CANNOT plan on this, though. If you really want to get married in Kansas do it on a break before your commissioning or concurrent with your graduation/commissioning while your families are already there.

So for me my detailer asked, through my LT, when I wanted to go to Pensacola with report dates up to five months out...but maybe this was just because I was an OC. The SWOs all got around a month except for two who had to report early. Definitely, talk to your LT early about your plans. If you want to get married after you report to Pensacola you will want to do it there as leave is difficult.

My timeline:
Commissionining: MAY 2007
Stashed at ROTC: JUN-JUL
Leave: AUG-26SEP (You won't get this...I had 90 days on the books)
Stashed in Pensacola/"A-Pool": 27SEP-06NOV
IFS: 07NOV-24JAN08
API: LATE FEB

Good Luck

KCRSXTypeS

Welcome to the Navy! Semper Gumby (Always Flexible)

Once you get commissioned you are going to be on Active Duty so be prepared to go immediately after graduation, however, you can probably get some stash time if you ask. You CANNOT plan on this, though. If you really want to get married in Kansas do it on a break before your commissioning or concurrent with your graduation/commissioning while your families are already there.

So for me my detailer asked, through my LT, when I wanted to go to Pensacola with report dates up to five months out...but maybe this was just because I was an OC. The SWOs all got around a month except for two who had to report early. Definitely, talk to your LT early about your plans. If you want to get married after you report to Pensacola you will want to do it there as leave is difficult.

My timeline:
Commissionining: MAY 2007
Stashed at ROTC: JUN-JUL
Leave: AUG-26SEP (You won't get this...I had 90 days on the books)
Stashed in Pensacola/"A-Pool": 27SEP-06NOV
IFS: 07NOV-24JAN08
API: LATE FEB

Good Luck

Thanks. I appreciate the helpful responses guys. I already asked about leave after commissioning and I get 30 days if I have just gotten married. The crappy thing is that I commission in May 09 but she doesn't want to get married until July. I want to wait until Im commissioned to get married because I want to have a military wedding with a sword arch and everything but I guess it isn't that important.

Ill talk to my LTs and see what I can pull.