• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

AFROTC... is it worth it??

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Feel the love in this thread. It's a beautiful thing. If anything Blutonski is getting a small taste of inter-service rivalry.

and Wink! VP love! I'm saving this as a screen shot!

B

Blutonski816

WOW...

I wondered when someone would bring up the whole jets issue...
I knew ages before I came here not to worry about getting jets until Primary (provided, of course, that I make it through the 1001 steps I have to take from here to there). I'll admit, I've always had a dream of being a Tomcat guy, which of course is now all for naught. Still, becoming an Officer and Naval Aviator are much more important to me than my favorite aircraft. Just earning my wings will be Euphoria enough. Sure, I'll work my ass off for Jets, but If I don't get them, I wont Piss and moan about it.

Right now... "It's all good."

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yea Zab, looked at my calender and saw it was time to throw the VP guys another bone.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Future Herc Driver said:
Or...you guys could send him to the blue side and tell him if he gets a slot his chances will be nearly a 100% percent he will fly a jet. ::rant button off:: Let the games begin.

is that why you fly a 4-engined prop plane? or are you just spouting off about something you know little about?

I think you're idea could be effective. I was in AFROTC my first semester (actually switched to Navy because AF wouldn't give a medical waiver - best thing that happened to me!). The AF was pretty locked on where I went. They were a lot better than the Army. I learned a lot of drill/military customs/etc. But experience is about all it will give you (maybe some recommendations too)...

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
Brett327 said:
There's a quasi-famous story/summary of the differences between the lives of Naval Aviators and Air Force Aviators. I'm pretty sure I've seen it floating around one of these threads, but if someone could post it here, I think it will help you out.

Brett

Always glad to help a Prowler bubba out.....

USN or USAF? by Bob Norris

Bob Norris is a former Naval aviator who also did a 3 year exchange tour flying the F-15 Eagle. He is now an accomplished author of entertaining books about US Naval Aviation including "Check Six" and "Fly-Off". Check out his web site at his web site. Click Here. In response to a letter from an aspiring fighter pilot on which military academy to attend, Bob replied with the following.

12 Feb 04

Young Man,

Congratulations on your selection to both the Naval and Air Force Academies. Your goal of becoming a fighter pilot is impressive and a fine way to serve your country. As you requested, I'd be happy to share some insight into which service would be the best choice. Each service has a distinctly different culture. You need to ask yourself "Which one am I more likely to thrive in?"

USAF Snapshot: The USAF is exceptionally well organized and well run. Their training programs are terrific. All pilots are groomed to meet high standards for knowledge and professionalism. Their aircraft are top-notch and extremely well maintained. Their facilities are excellent. Their enlisted personnel are the brightest and the best trained. The USAF is homogenous and macro. No matter where you go, you'll know what to expect, what is expected of you, and you'll be given the training & tools you need to meet those expectations. You will never be put in a situation over your head. Over a 20-year career, you will be home for most important family events. Your Mom would want you to be an Air Force pilot...so would your wife. Your Dad would want your sister to marry one.

Navy Snapshot: Aviators are part of the Navy, but so are Black shoes (surface warfare) and bubble heads (submariners). Furthermore, the Navy is split into two distinctly different Fleets (West and East Coast). The Navy is heterogeneous and micro. Your squadron is your home; it may be great, average, or awful. A squadron can go from one extreme to the other before you know it. You will spend months preparing for cruise and months on cruise. The quality of the aircraft varies directly with the availability of parts. Senior Navy enlisted are salt of the earth; you'll be proud if you earn their respect. Junior enlisted vary from terrific to the troubled kid the judge made join the service. You will be given the opportunity to lead these people during your career; you will be humbled and get your hands dirty. The quality of your training will vary and sometimes you will be over your head. You will miss many important family events. There will be long stretches of tedious duty aboard ship. You will fly in very bad weather and/or at night and you will be scared many times. You will fly with legends in the Navy and they will kick your ass until you become a lethal force. And some days - when the scheduling Gods have smiled upon you - your jet will catapult into a glorious morning over a far-away sea and you will be drop-jawed that someone would pay you to do it. The hottest girl in the bar wants to meet the Naval Aviator. That bar is in Singapore.

Bottom line, son, if you gotta ask...pack warm & good luck in Colorado.

Banzai

PS Air Force pilots wear scarves and iron their flight suits

http://www.tailhook.org/USN USAF.html

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
SteveG75 said:
You will fly with legends in the Navy and they will kick your ass until you become a lethal force. And some days - when the scheduling Gods have smiled upon you - your jet will catapult into a glorious morning over a far-away sea and you will be drop-jawed that someone would pay you to do it.
Thanks Meat! That is exactly what I was thinking of. I highlighted the best part for those w/ short attention spans. ;)

BTW, Meat, 133 is in town, so stand by for liver and property damage this weekend in SOCAL!

Good times,

Brett

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
Blutonski816 said:
3. I don't exactly know what I want to study in college in order to get a degree. Therefore, Instead of wasting money on going to a college with an NROTC program and ending up hating whatever major that I'd decide to study, or even hating the school itself, I'll be thrifty and take my time to decide what & where.(Originally, I was considering Politcal Science, but I'm still undecided, hence I will be starting at UNLV as an Undeclared major)

Wait a minute... you have no obligation as an NROTC mid to 'declare' a major and stick to it. I was an NROTC guy-- I started off as a physics major and then went to poli sci (begin making fun of me... now! :icon_tong )

I DID know guys in the Chair Force ROTC program who basically said they got tied down into a major and had a hell of a time switching away when they decided they didn't like what they had. The experience I had (and maybe it was just my school-- do your own research) was that the AF was a little more in your shorts with regards to what your major was. Whereas the Navy really didn't care, as long as you kept your grades up, took the required classes, and graduated on time.

El Cid

You're daisy if you do.
SteveG75 said:
Bottom line, son, if you gotta ask...pack warm & good luck in Colorado.
http://www.tailhook.org/USN USAF.html
Man, if that's not f^ck'n motivat'n! That's the best description of the Navy as a whole, with obvious attention towards air, I've ever heard! Somebody get me out of college limbo and back into a real job, before I go crazy! :spin_125: :crazy_125 :icon_nav_

Oh, and my .02... go anywhere that you can get a NROTC scholarship. They are very hard to come by these days. Once you are there, you can change your major several times and you don't have to be a technical major. In AFROTC you have to be a technical major. Don't worry about Uncle Sam's $$$, if you're given a scholarship then you've demonstrated that you have what it takes, whether YOU have realized it or not. Your job is to go to college and learn both academically and socially. Along the way you'll find or be infused with the maturity that you will need to do you job, trust me there are a lot of good sailors out there that get paid to teach you. If you want to go Navy then go Navy all the way... sort out the details later!

Good luck!

Future Herc Driver

About to start Tac phase in the Herc.
is that why you fly a 4-engined prop plane? or are you just spouting off about something you know little about?

I guess someone else's SA is slipping too. I said NEARLY 100%. On the other hand, I just finished taking the FAA exam and earned my instrument rating,my single-engine commercial ticket, multi-engine commercial ticket and a Beechjet 400 type rating with no centerline restriction. Not a bad deal for flying a T-1 for 6 months.

Yes I will be flying a 4 engine prop plane for my career but its the coolest 4 engine prop plane on the planet. :icon_mi_6:

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
In all seriousness, conrats on the wings Herc. Too bad you have to wear a dribble bib with them.

TurnandBurn55 said:
Wait a minute... you have no obligation as an NROTC mid to 'declare' a major and stick to it. I was an NROTC guy-- I started off as a physics major and then went to poli sci (begin making fun of me...now!

I DID know guys in the Chair Force ROTC program who basically said they got tied down into a major and had a hell of a time switching away when they decided they didn't like what they had. The experience I had (and maybe it was just my school-- do your own research) was that the AF was a little more in your shorts with regards to what your major was. Whereas the Navy really didn't care, as long as you kept your grades up, took the required classes, and graduated on time.

Yes, absolutely right about the AF. They REALLY care about your degree. It affects what kind of jobs you can get, etc. The Navy's philosophy is "we'll teach you what you need to know." The AF wants your college degree to be applied to your job. However, if you have an idea about your major, you can just take generals your first couple years before transfering.

One last note, my XO just told me how incredibly hard it has become right now in NROTC to either get a scholarship or advanced standing (for non-scholarship people wanting to continue to their junior year) without an engineering or science degree. Something to think about... ;)

Future Herc Driver

About to start Tac phase in the Herc.
At first the E model but I was told that before I leave for my next assignment I should get qualed in the J model. The course at Little Rock has changed up a bit since I wont be just qualified in right seat only now. I will get qualified in both left and right seat. They call it Pilot Initial Qual. Sounds like a pretty good deal. Im guessing it means we will upgrade to AC faster. Not too sure on the details.