• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

AF-One Terrorizes New York City!!!

exhelodrvr

pilot
You mean slowing tourists from visiting Mexico? I'm guessing there are warnings posted now, and there have been numerous press conferences.

Patly that, but at this point more along the lines of screening traffic coming across from Mexico. At this point that isn't being done at all, not even at the cursory level. (At least according to the local news.)

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
3) Most of the information that is common knowledge among folks on this forum, and this line of work, is lost on the vast majority of citizens. Just read the comments on any aviation or military related video on youtube and I think this becomes really apparent.
Agreed. The ignorance of the average New Yorker has to be taken into consideration. I'd be willing to bet that half of all people in this country couldn't even tell you who the Vice President is, let alone what the airplane looks like that the President flies around in.

blarged

ready
Agreed. The ignorance of the average New Yorker has to be taken into consideration. I'd be willing to bet that half of all people in this country couldn't even tell you who the Vice President is, let alone what the airplane looks like that the President flies around in.

It is my opinion that ignorance is rarely ever (if ever) a good excuse. Going slightly off-topic, and I'm not saying that knowing what the backup AF1 looks like is absolutely pertinent knowledge for all individuals for the success of democracy... but in a democracy, ignorance is just not something that should hold up as a valid excuse.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I like The Onion's theory - that this whole thing was part of a stimulus package to help out NYC's therapists.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
It is my opinion that ignorance is rarely ever (if ever) a good excuse. Going slightly off-topic, and I'm not saying that knowing what the backup AF1 looks like is absolutely pertinent knowledge for all individuals for the success of democracy... but in a democracy, ignorance is just not something that should hold up as a valid excuse.

I don't think anyone is arguing that it is an "excuse", but it certainly could be a reason

blarged

ready
I don't think anyone is arguing that it is an "excuse", but it certainly could be a reason

That's true. after my last post something didn't sound right about it. when I said it was "slightly off-topic", I think I should have gone with "slightly irrelevant".

Thanks MIDNJAC for helping me clear my own thoughts :icon_tong

KBayDog

You Knew it Was Going to Happen...

The New York Daily News is requesting Photoshopped pictures based on the recent fly-over.

Now, I would never suggest that AW members start a new thread and do the same thing, ala the "Motivational Posters" thread. No, never. That would be a waste of bandwidth. I mean, I know the AW crowd couldn't come up with better images than Daily News readers, anyway.
:icon_smil

voodooqueen

DAR Lapsarian
The article seems to indicate that it was the FAA that demanded secrecy.
There are various reasons for secrecy that come to mind. I'm sure it was someone's idea for a nice photo. They just forgot that the New Yorkers who have PTSD are still cringing at the sound of regular air traffic. (I would be more worried if there were no F-16s along side.)

I have to give Obama credit for manning up and taking responsibility, even if it wasn't his idea.

OH WAIT...

(Some) Oceana Hornets are grounded for lack of gas money (budget) right?

Maybe the cost thing is valid after all, gas would have better burned training ass kickers!!!!

Oh that is a whole different can of worms...but for the record I'm on your side. SUCKS. Leave anyone? ;)

Whether you know it is the President's plane or not, AF one has and always remain a protected asset. Even if just a simple photo shoot (whether photo shoot should have happened or not that is different point but for sake of this reply, leaving that emotion out), movement of AF one doesn't need to be known to general public. Especially being in low-altitude phase of flight and "vulnerable" you can see why.

Yes I have sympathy for NY'ers and general public in this story, but agencies "in the know" were notified.

Don't make the mistake of taking a radar lock on it either LOL, will make for a VERYYYYYYYYYYYYYY long debrief :D and that is all I will say about that.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
What I'm most POed about is that now they aren't even going to use the photos they got! After all that trouble!

I understand why it might be a requirement to keep the movements secret. On the other hand, at public appearances, the President's arrival is known to the second, so I'm not sure if it's as big a factor as might be immediately thought.

In the end though, if they went in with the "restraint" (I always mix up "constraint" and "restraint" in a military context) of maintaining secrecy, then flying it to New York probably should have been lumped into the bad idea pile. Try Mt. Rushmore or the Grand Canyon or somewhere remote. Even better--get a shot with the Vegas Strip in the background!

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor
Interesting summary here of the whole debacle:

http://static.cbslocal.com/station/wcbs/docs/flyover.pdf

This was from the White House counsel's office, who was asked to look at the whole affair. My quick read of it sounds like they kind of threw Louis Caldera under the bus - it seems like the ball was in the FAA's court to get the word out. The fact that the report's authors didn't even talk to the FAA leaves a lot of questions unanswered.

It still gives an interesting perspective on the decisionmaking/coordination process inside the White House on issues like this. The takeaway is that when you're in charge, it's your ass on the line for everything your organization done. Caldera did the right thing by falling on his sword, even if it wasn't "fair". Too bad, too, since he seemed like a decent guy, and you need someone who has their collective sh!t in one sock to run WHMO.