• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

AF, Navy, ROTC, or the Academies?

akajjred

Thanks for the link gregsivers. That's a great site. Basically the same question I asked. Thanks for the back-up guys. Another question I have is WHO do I contact to talk about what route/branch is best for me? Do I talk to my local navy and air force officer recruiters? Air Force and Navy enlisted recruiters? My school counselor? Someone else? Another question. When we go to war(with a country in Europe for example) what happens if you are staitioned at an Air Force base in the states or an aircraft carrier in the pacific? Would you get restaitioned to a base closer to that country if in the air force? Would the carrier get restaitioned to the Atlantic if in the navy? I asked an advisor on the air force website and he said, "I cannot and will not discuss air force operational procedure!" I tried to make the question as hypothetical as possible, but he didn't budge. Thanks again guys.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
akajjred said:
I asked an advisor on the air force website and he said, "I cannot and will not discuss air force operational procedure!"
I think that's pretty funny.

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
akajjred said:
My school counselor?

In my experience, school counselors don't know a DAMNED thing about the military. There was a display of brochures for one of the ROTC programs on a shelf in my HS counseling office, and my counselor didn't even know it was there, or what ROTC was. I had to do all the research myself. I know it was posted earlier, but the Navy ROTC website is pretty useful.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
akajjred said:
My question is what is the best way to become a fighter/bomber(as in F-18 or F-15, not B-2) pilot in the US military? I realize this is a naval + marine forum so your opinions may be biased, but I'm just looking for advice. I've narrowed down my options to four. This is assuming I got into all 4 which is highly unlikely. I'm considering NROTC, AFROTC, and both the Naval and AF Academies.
-Which one of these four is the best option to becoming a fighter pilot?
-Which service has better fighter training?
-In which service would I see more combat action?
-What is life like being a pilot in each service(again this is a navy forum so don't worry about the AF if you don't know)?
-Is the pay the same in each branch?
-In which branch is there currently more of a need for pilots?
-In which branch would I have the least likely chance of becoming a helocopter pilot because this is something I would like to avoid?

Everything you metioned, credential wise, doesn't mean jack **** in terms of becoming a fighter pilot. Nor does what school you go to or what program you go into. What determines what you fly is how well you do in flight school and then most importantly, what are the needs of that particular service.

You also ask questions that would require any person to see into the future. If I could predict the need for pilots in 8 years, or a war in 8 years, I could predict the winner of the next 8 Super Bowls and be a rich man. My point is this, concentrate on the now. Meaning get into a good school, get the grades and hopefully you will be accepted into a flight program.

akajjred said:
I got the best english student in my class last year

Maybe it's just me but this part sounds a bit....not right. If you're going to brag, you might want to at least make it sound good :eek: .

ACurry

Thank God for Kidney Stone Medical Waivers
Navy ROTC

Hey, I just got commissioned in the NAVY and am fresh out of NROTC. I would say that having a good GPA and lots of extracuricular activites and volunteer hours is great, but that will only help you with getting into a college or getting a ROTC scholarship. After that, the only things that will matter are what you do in ROTC and in college. As far as which branch has the most need for pilots, that changes frequently. Before I started flight, school the NAVY had increased the standards for becoming a pilot and even guys getting awesome grades weren't able to become pilots. Now they have lowered the standards back to normal to allow more people to become pilots. As far as I know, if you want to fly helicopters you would join the Navy because you will have the best chance there, probably. So sounds like that is not the route you want to take. In any case, forget what you did in high school and worry about what you do in college because that is what will get you where you want to go. Finally, I'm no spelling whiz, but helocopter is spelled helicopter, Mr. English whiz.

USN99

USN99
None
Looking down range

ACurry said:
In any case, forget what you did in high school and worry about what you do in college because that is what will get you where you want to go.

If after reading this entire thread all you remember is the above advice, you will have been richly rewarded grasshopper.

saltpeter

And then forget what you've done in college and worry about what jobs you've held in the Navy. Unless you be passed over for promotion and booted out on you hiney.