• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

AF, Navy, ROTC, or the Academies?

akajjred

Alright I'm 16 and just finished my sophomore year in high school. I currently have an unweighted GPA of 4.00. I take all the hardest classes. I got the best english student in my class last year and an award in mathematics. This year I got the medals for best math and science student in my class(as in all 200 people). I also got an AP History, World Literature Honors, Spanish II, and Chemistry award. I play varsity basketball and will probably be a team captain for the next two years. I have completed 100 hours of community service and am trying to do more. I am also in a couple clubs(no leadership positions in these clubs though). (I'm not trying to brag about any of this I just want you to know about me so you can give me better advice. My question is what is the best way to become a fighter/bomber(as in F-18 or F-15, not B-2) pilot in the US military? I realize this is a naval + marine forum so your opinions may be biased, but I'm just looking for advice. I've narrowed down my options to four. This is assuming I got into all 4 which is highly unlikely. I'm considering NROTC, AFROTC, and both the Naval and AF Academies.
-Which one of these four is the best option to becoming a fighter pilot?
-Which service has better fighter training?
-In which service would I see more combat action?
-What is life like being a pilot in each service(again this is a navy forum so don't worry about the AF if you don't know)?
-Is the pay the same in each branch?
-In which branch is there currently more of a need for pilots?
-In which branch would I have the least likely chance of becoming a helocopter pilot because this is something I would like to avoid?

Thanks in advance, I really appreciate it. Just give my your opinions, facts, or whatever else you want I'm just looking for info. Thanks again.

RHPF

pilot
Contributor
My .02

As far as where to go, you stand the greatest chance of becoming a pilot by by physically qualified (obviously required for all of the options), having the desire, and going to an academy. They get the first pick, and from what my friend at teh AFA told me pretty much everyone who meets those 3 get picked up for a pilot slot. That said, if you look on this forum, and elsewhere a lot of people didnt enjoy their time at the academy (whichever one) and I have even heard they get griefed about it. Again I have no first hand knowledge, just what I have read.

As far as Branch, around April the Marines were on a major recruiting drive and offering guarenteed aviation contracts to new potential officers. I havent been checking recently since I cant change my odds, I can just apply and see where the chips fall (and restack and try again if need be). What UI Navy is dead on.

The last question of that list that I will touch with my minimal knowledge is the helo question. In the Navy you stand a much higher chance of getting a helo slot, but in the AF you stand about the same chance of getting a 'fat kid' (think cargo planes).

Anyways, stay motivated and it will all work out.

BOMBSonHAWKEYES

pilot
Wow, i've been sitting on this softball for sometime....

"I'm here from Yardale, where I attained a 4.0 grade point average"... OK, Pip. I just finished primary at Vance, and I can tell you that some of my AF counterparts who mimic that attitude are slated to "go places", albeit in an ice cream man outfit. You seem to have the potential and desire that we all envy, but never dare to poses, because it will take us to the competitive point of no return, where, at least, no naval aviator dare go because he/she knows it means eternal ostracization.

It seems comical that you would want the best fighter training amongst all the services considering that we have no enemy A/A threat.

I'd love to answer all of your questions with honest answers that would short your 16 year old circuts, but to me it seems like there is only one thing you could possibly do to raise your street cred. Take a vacation - weighted. That way you might have your best chance of learning how to stick it to something, or at least, how to stick it to the B2 you loath so much when you'll be one day refueling it over Nova Scotica in you're KC135 with a crew of Americans that would do anything just to be in your seat, with honors.

akajjred

Thanks for your help guys. Actually, it's pretty comical you call my school Yardale. I do go to a private high school, a Catholic all-boys one at that. However, I wouldn't compare it to Harvard or Yale. It's an inner-city school and very diverse. 38%-Philipino and Asian, 20% Hispanic, 20% Caucasian, 10% African-American, and 12% other including Pacific Islander, Arab, and Indian. My school isn't exactly rich either. We do alright, but we are considered the 3rd best Catholic school in the city(aka San Francisco). I'm white, but I play on a basketball team that is mostly black and latino. I'm the only full white guy, there are several kids that are half. Just giving you a little backround so that you know I don't go to Yardale. I have backbone man. I would rather fly a B-2 than a transport plane, but I want to fly fighter/bombers or strike aircraft. The reasons I wouldn't want to fly a helo are a) flying a fighter/bomber simply interests me more and b) I've heard its hard for helo pilots to get jobs after the military. If the 2nd isn't true please tell me. Again I appreciate all your help. Why not want the best training? Why strive for 2nd best? I take vacations btw. Just because someone gets a 4.00 doesn't me they don't have a life. I don't study for tests. I'm the kid who studies 5 minutes before class and gets an A on the test, while the kid who studied all night gets a C. I'm just a really good test taker with a good memory. Maybe you think an L squared. Great man I don't really give a sh** about what you think of me or what I can or can't be. I take criticism pretty well, so keep throwing it at me if it helps you. Thanks for all your guys help, honestly I truly appreciate it.

Fezz CB

"Spanish"
None
akajjred said:
38%-Philipino and Asian

Check your grammer. It's "Filipino" not Philipino. You probably spelled it phonetically. I should know being I'm filipino-american :D

As for your aspirations to become an aviator/military officer......Study hard, get involved in sports, community (which i see you have done), and dont be presumptuous . Nobody wants to be led by a wise-guy officer who thinks he knows everything. Also, just because you study "5 mins before class" in high school doesnt mean you will experience the samething in college. Because trust me, college is a whole new ballpark. You will encounter ppl far smarter than yourself. To be a good leader, you must learn to be humble about your above-average abilities. Also, flight school isnt exactly 11th grade English (from what my buddies have told me). So dont expect to "not study" because you did it in high school. Not gonna work.

You have awhile until you have to apply to college, scholarships, etc but I admire your enthusiasm to become a military officer. Check out the usna and nrotc websites. They have a lot of good info. Good Luck young Skywalker.

Crowbar

None
akajjred said:
Great man I don't really give a sh** about what you think of me or what I can or can't be. I take criticism pretty well

Obviously you do. Look, nobody here can look at your 'resume' through the first 16 years of your life and determine if you will get accepted for anything or if you will succeed if you do get accepted.

Should you get into any commissioning program, be advised that your past doesn't mean a damn thing the day you report into your new command. You have to work just as hard and show you still have it. When I was in college I saw more than a few high school stellar performers check into the unit only to become average or usually below average college students/midshipmen. Mostly those were so busy talking about becoming (insert certain type of) pilots or bragging about how hard they worked in HS.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
RHPF said:
As far as where to go, you stand the greatest chance of becoming a pilot by by physically qualified (obviously required for all of the options), having the desire, and going to an academy.
UInavy said:
Not true.
As far as AF is concerned, my sources say that is pretty accurate. Not that slots aren't given to AFROTC cadets, but the selection rate seems to be higher for guys at the Academy.

BombsonHawkeyes said:
Wow, i've been sitting on this softball for sometime....

"I'm here from Yardale, where I attained a 4.0 grade point average"... OK, Pip. I just finished primary at Vance, and I can tell you that some of my AF counterparts who mimic that attitude are slated to "go places", albeit in an ice cream man outfit. You seem to have the potential and desire that we all envy, but never dare to poses, because it will take us to the competitive point of no return, where, at least, no naval aviator dare go because he/she knows it means eternal ostracization.

It seems comical that you would want the best fighter training amongst all the services considering that we have no enemy A/A threat.

I'd love to answer all of your questions with honest answers that would short your 16 year old circuts, but to me it seems like there is only one thing you could possibly do to raise your street cred. Take a vacation - weighted. That way you might have your best chance of learning how to stick it to something, or at least, how to stick it to the B2 you loath so much when you'll be one day refueling it over Nova Scotica in you're KC135 with a crew of Americans that would do anything just to be in your seat, with honors.
Hmmm, pretty much an unwarranted blast. Consider this....we're basically all "Pips" all the time to someone. It's just a matter of your reference point. The guy is 16. He's not going to have the same level of knowledge you have regarding various platforms or missions. This is to be expected. With time, he'll gain knowledge, mature, and may even come to realize that flying fighters is not what he wants to do. And then, maybe still will. At this point in his life, does it really matter? To me, it's not comical that he wants the best training possible. He has some serious goals, and serious goals require hard work to achieve. Would you want to sacrifice your time and sweat for less than the best training available? You can argue all you want on what branch provides the best training. But in the end, it's all just a bunch of subjective bs.
Fezz CB said:
Check your grammer. It's "Filipino" not Philipino.
Actually, that would be spelling you refer to of which you should check yours. It's grammar.....not grammer. :icon_smil

For everyone, this guy has asked some legitimate questions especially being only 16. I don't think he was trying to brag or be cocky. He wanted to give you some relevant information that may make it easier for (the helpers) to guide him in the right direction. Really, I don't see the need to lecture him on not being "that" guy. Some of the advice is good, don't get me wrong. But it's not relevant at this point and really does nothing to answer his questions.

illinijoe05

Nachos
pilot
Honestly all his his questions can be solved by the airforce. Not many helos ralative to the other services. And that have that guaranteed jets slot deal. JOINT NATO UPT or something,. Good luck dude, i hope all your wildest dreams come true.

PS why do people hate on bad grammer....is your old HS English teacher on AW?

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
I've posted this link before http://www.tailhook.org/USN USAF.html, and while I'm still in Primary with no "fleet experience", I think it makes perfect sense. Granted you're only 16 and haven't been accepted to either, but it makes for an interesting read.

From what I know (again, limited) helo pilots don't have a problem getting a post military job. There's plenty of helo jobs available, ie police, EMS, govt jobs, oil industry, and you're still an experienced military pilot with tons of hours, so I imagine it wouldn't be too hard to get picked up for a fixed wing job.

But anyway man, good luck whatever you choose, and have fun acing the english classes.

B

Blutonski816

Ok, I'm gonna say this once...

- Try looking around the site as to what you will have to do in order to get yourself on your way to achieving whatever you want.

- Just because you can make a 4.0 and take the hardest classes, blah blah blah doesn't mean you're gonna be entitled to ANYTHING when you apply to join the service. There are pleny of guys here who worked their butts off but managed to get into a truly rewarding career, even without 4.0 GPA.

-If "flying fighter jets" is your only motivation to join, I suggest you reconsider what it is you want in life. Most of the work done by an Aviator is on the ground leading Sailors/Marines/Airmen. You are expected to be an OFFICER and a LEADER first, everything else, no matter what your Designator, is secondary.

- Asking for advice for "Avoiding" other communities such as helos will not help your reputation here or in TRACOM (if you make it that far). I would sh*t myself if I made it to winging, and the platform I would find myself in wouldn't diminish the value of such an achievement, wether it be Helos, Maritime or TACAIR. Just being there would be a privilege. Right now you what you have hundreds of steps left until you can even begin to thingk about whatever platform you hope to fly. Once you get past earning scholarships/ college admissions, HS graduation, earning your degree, getting commissioned, API, and primary (That is if you should chose to Go Navy) then you can start worrying about if you'll be able to get Jets...

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Blutonski816 said:
Ok, I'm gonna say this once...

- Try looking around the site as to what you will have to do in order to get yourself on your way to achieving whatever you want.

- Just because you can make a 4.0 and take the hardest classes, blah blah blah doesn't mean you're gonna be entitled to ANYTHING when you apply to join the service. There are pleny of guys here who worked their butts off but managed to get into a truly rewarding career, even without 4.0 GPA.

-If "flying fighter jets" is your only motivation to join, I suggest you reconsider what it is you want in life. Most of the work done by an Aviator is on the ground leading Sailors/Marines/Airmen. You are expected to be an OFFICER and a LEADER first, everything else, no matter what your Designator, is secondary.

- Asking for advice for "Avoiding" other communities such as helos will not help your reputation here or in TRACOM (if you make it that far). I would sh*t myself if I made it to winging, and the platform I would find myself in wouldn't diminish the value of such an achievement, wether it be Helos, Maritime or TACAIR. Just being there would be a privilege. Right now you what you have hundreds of steps left until you can even begin to thingk about whatever platform you hope to fly. Once you get past earning scholarships/ college admissions, HS graduation, earning your degree, getting commissioned, API, and primary (That is if you should chose to Go Navy) then you can start worrying about if you'll be able to get Jets...
Do you feel better now?

saltpeter

As for the 16 year old, keep your headup and see you someday in the fleet. As for what service etc., apply for everything and decide later. Take control by applying to the academies and then choose what looks best for you at the time, I'm sure they're licking there chops for a guy/girl such as yourself. If you don't get accepted, ROTC, BDCP, OCS, etc. it's all good. In the end it all pays the same. Avoid up tight a##holes at all cost, they'll steer you down the wrong path with all their negativity. As for fighters do it up, with your study habits you'll have no probs.

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
So many things to say here. First, dont choose a school/route just because it will get you to being a pilot. Look at all aspects of it. ie the Academy, ROTC, etc. I read all the books on the academies I could find when I was looking at options. I also checked into some other schools and backup options. In the end I did get accepted, but decided on another school instead. Which happens to be 100% at getting flight slots for those who want them. Although something may happen and you get kicked out, medically disqualed, etc. Then you need to have a backup plan other than... "Well I got into the school that was guaranteed to get me a flight slot." Read every book on the subject that you can

Second, careful how much you try and talk yourself up. How many leadership positions have you been in? What is the quality of these clubs and sports, etc. Seriously most of the people on this forum and even flying could say those kind of things. There is really only 1 time to talk yourself up like that, and that is in the application to the academy in your personal essay. And even then you need to have some humility.

Once you hit college, HS doesnt matter for anything. Your new unit and school will count as far as your performance there. Although certain things get weighted different in the long run...ie military schools, major, sports, etc.

You really should do some research on all the different platforms in the military and realize that you need to be happy flying any of them. Hands down it is the best job in the world.