• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Advice??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex Fowler

OK here's the deal, I'm 17 years old, just started my senior year in HS. I've wanted to be a Navy pilot my whole life and I'm waiting to hear if I've been accepted for an NROTC scholarship or not. Problem is, even if all goes well that means I'll have to wait another year on HS, 4 years of college/ROTC, and 18-24 months of flight school before I can see some action. By
then the war could be over, but I have a score to settle with those bastards. Now if I get the scholarship and a free ride I'm definitely going to take it, but if I don't get it, I've been considering enlisting after I finish HS.

My parents are against me enlisting directly and while I respect their opinion, it's also ultimately my decision. After seeing those towers fall down, I realized, thousands of my brothers and sisters were murdered. I can't let them get away with that. Also I figure after 2-3 years of service I could get into a better college and have a better shot at ROTC (still wanna fly) when I get back. Finally, a bunch of my friends (who it should be noted never even thought about the military before last Tuesday) are considering enlisting after HS. FWIW, my father and grandfather on my dad's side were both naval officers, while my grandfather on my mom's side enlisted in the Army in the middle of college (to fight in WW2). What would you guys do in my situation?? If I don't get the scholarship, should I do ROTC anyway and pay my way thru at least the
first year of college, or should I go fight for awhile??

Thanks in advance
Alex

"It's a beautiful day, don't let it get away"-U2

brian-75

I would og through college. The reason for this is that you may find something else that you want to do instead of flying. Second, by getting a degree it helps(can be debated) can help you get a job later in life that has higher pay/benefits than those without a college degree. Third, you become more mature 9again debated..) and can handle more responsibility. Me personally, I went through college, glad I did, and I am applying to OCS as I did not do ROTC. Also don't let your feelings about last week cloud your judgement. You should not base a life decision such as this on emotion but on facts and desires you have for the future and are the most informed. Now enlisted men do form the navy and allow it to exist and there are many opportunites but I do not know how hard it is (or easy) to go from enlisted to college (ROTC) to officer, and then flight training. For me it is 2 years of OCS, and flight training before I get my wings and then 8 years of required service before I can get out. i guess I am saying, base your decision on as much information from friends, recuiters, college reps, and family before you choose to either enlist or go to college.

Hope this helps

Brian

vballpilot

Alex I'm going to agree with Brian on this one. If you have the opportunity to attend college then do so and if you get the scholarship that's even better. You wanting to go off and enlist though because of the terrorist attack isnt quite clear thinking. You're probably upset and angry like the rest of us but better judgement should tell you to continue your education.
Not to sound too arrogant but you are still only a senior in high school and its great that you have aspirations to become a naval aviator but you are still very young and have so much more maturing to go through.
I remember when I was your age and all I wanted to do was enlist and go off and see the world and fight the evil guys. Thankfully a Naval Aviator friend of my parents talked me into going to college and getting an education and then deciding what I want to do.
I think yoiu should just think through all your options very carefully. If you do decide to enlist good luck to you. If you decide to go to college, study hard, then maybe I'll see you out in the fleet someday.

Just my two-cents....

Edited by - vballpilot on 09/19/2001 19:34:21

Dave Shutter

quote:...even if all goes well that means I'll have to wait another year on HS, 4 years of college/ROTC, and 18-24 months of flight school before I can see some action. By then the war could be over, but I have a score to settle with those bastards...

quote:...Also I figure after 2-3 years of service I could get into a better college and have a better shot at ROTC (still wanna fly) when I get back. Finally, a bunch of my friends (who it should be noted never even thought about the military before last Tuesday) are considering enlisting after HS...or should I go fight for awhile??

It sounds like your about to try on a pair of shoes I wore some time ago so I'm gonna throw out my 4 cents.

When I graduated HS I was still very much in love with the notion of military Aviation even though I had put it on the same shelf with being a rock star: cool job, but I'll never get to do it! Here I am, a full ten years later and I'm off to OCS and then flight school, God willing. Being enlisted was a great experience for me, I'm willing to bet it would be for you two. Those mere 24 months I spent in Germany driving an E-7 around in his own 70 ton private limo as an eighteen year old has never stopped benefiting me. It paid for college, made me grow up and also helped immesurably in getting me selected for pilot. It got me the hell out of my small town, I had a lot of fun, travelled in Europe, drank a lot, got a ton of sh*t out of my system and when I finally got to college I had already outgrown a lot of things that hurt a lot of other young kids around me in school. I was not only financialy ready for it, but mentally as well. On the other hand you also may have the oppurtunity to start college now and be a graduate at a very young age and have a whole different world of oppurtunities open to you.

Personally I wanted to leave home and have some real fun and adventuree and boy did I, but I look around at the BIO's for the people on this site who are starting their careers as Navy pilots at the ages of 22-25, who will be able to get out when they're only a few years older than I am now. Looking back I sometimes say to myself: WOW, maybe I should have skipped the Army and gone right to college. Of course I think that for a millisecond before the realities set in of money, my immaturity at the time, and the fact that as a grad in the class of 1994 my pilot app. would have found it's way to CNRC right in the heart of the fine-mesh era back when superstar applicants were being laughed at. Of course hindsight is always 20/20 looking out you butthole, the military is a lot different today than in the early-nineties and only time will tell what the next couple years will be like.

I'll never regret my time in the Army and I don't regret my decision (so far) to start a Naval Aviator career at nearly 30. Me and Jeff B. have had discussions at lenth about the paths we've taken to end up as near 30 SNA's (good luck on the 15'th Jeff, see you in API) and we've both come to the conclusion that getting to were you want to be is what's important, not the ammount of time it takes you to get there, besides, getting there's half the fun, right!

I can't tell you what to do, you have to figure that out for yourself. Do you want to start serving your country in a couple of months or do you want to potentially be an Officer in a couple of years? You have to decide what's more important. I agree with what said earlier, your patriotism is admirable (and refreshing) at your age. We all feel the same as you, but don't let you emotions about Sept. 11 cloud your judgment or affect a decision like this. You have to weigh oppurtunities that come to you vs. where you want to go in life because the oppurtunity that's here today may not be there tommorrow.

Now, as for "seeing some action" I have a few more remarks. A lot of my friends and relative called me freaking out about what would happen to me now that were "at war" and my replay was that I would be in school for the next 3 years, (you forgot to add FRS training to your timeline) and I'm starting OCS next month! A few more things to think about...

1. Be careful what you wish for.

2. Unless your going out for the SEALS, or plan to go the very long, unsure route to get to Army Special Forces, the only "real action" your probably going to see in the next couple of years is the same "real action" I saw as a new Army E-1 on a base still at THREATCON CHARLIE after the Gulf War and that was GUARD DUTY, GUARD DUTY and then some more GUARD DUTY.

3. Be careful what you wish for.

4. Old proverb: Looking for revenge, dig two graves first, one for the other guy, one for yourself.

5. Finally, guys chomping at the bit for "real action" usually accomplish one of two things in tactical environments: 1, they get their buddies hurt and 2, they get their buddies killed. And that's just in peace time training! In the real thing the end result is disaster and I've known and worked with a lot of guys who were there for the real thing. Ask the more experienced gents on the Forum if you don't believe me. If you want to be successful in the military, no matter what side of the fence you end up on, then you want to be a dedicated professional who follows orders. Bloodthirsty adventure seekers quickly find themselves eating alone in the mess hall. If you opt for the enlisted side and end up in the Corps or the Army and are eventually holding a live grenade in one hand and the pin in the other, I think you'll understand what I'm talking about. BTW, when those things go off it's nothing like on the A-team. Trust me.

Good luck and let us know, if you have any questions about the Army let me know, of course some of my info will be a bit dated.

GOD BLESS AMERICA!

Edited by - Dave Shutter on 09/21/2001 23:03:09

Alex Fowler

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for the advice and all...I'm not 100% sure yet, but I think I'm probably going to go ahead and go to college, then hopefully naval aviation afterwards. I've had time to calm down a bit since September 11...I still want to kill those bastards but I can wait a little bit to do it. My friend wants to go SEALs after college so I told him, he can kill bin Laden face to face and I can kill Hussein from the sky :).

Anyway, thanks again for the help and hope to see all of ya in the fleet someday.

Alex

"It's a beautiful day, don't let it get away"-U2

Status
Not open for further replies.