• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ADVICE!!???

Status
Not open for further replies.

helo_wannabe

I am an MM1 Nuke recently picked up STA-21.
I have been in the Navy for 8 years and will be attending college to get commissioned after which I will attend Flight School. I was curious, is there any advice anyone can give me for preparing for flight training physically or academically? My goal is to one day fly helos.
Thanks,
cubby (helo_wannabe)
p.s. Any nukes out there? Time for a new career!

av8tor

Physically - Learn to relax and take things in stride, flight school is an exercise to measure who among the crowd is willing to jump through the required hoops. Unlike Nuke which is stressful 100% of the time.
Academically - Jeppensen Priviate and Instrument manuals will help you understand the major jargon before ariving.

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
I was curious, is there any advice anyone can give me for preparing for flight training physically or academically? My goal is to one day fly helos.

well, if you want to fly helos, you really don't have to bust your brain too bad. however, given the current environment, you'd best do as well as possible, they'll seperate you for damn near anything now. If you got through nuke school though, you certainly have nothing to fear academically from OCS or flight school.

physically, once out of OCS and after your first API physical you really have little to worry about, it isn't much different than in the fleet (eg. it is a joke).

Are you going to OCS?

PropStop

helo_wannabe

Well, I will not go to OCS. The new STA-21 program sends you to NSI and then 3 years of college after which you get commissioned with your ROTC unit and flight school after that. As far as nukes finding a new career, I have been doing it 8 years and am currently and instructor at NPTU CHASN. I have seen the program change VERY significantly and I think it is time to move on before some of the kids qualifying ruin the nuke program. It has given me excellent opportunities but it has worn me down. I hope flying will make me enjoy my job again. Thanks for the advice. Hopefully I will get the opportunity to meet some of you in the fleet.
helo_wannabe (aka cubby)

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Wannabe,

One bit of advice when it comes to college, make sure you finish all the ROTC requirements for comissioning, because there were 3 guys in my OCS class who did STA-21 and went to Univ. of San Diego for 3 years ROTC and didn't have enough naval science courses, so they got shipped out to OCS. Just didn't want you to meet the same fate.

Status
Not open for further replies.