• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Advice....

Status
Not open for further replies.

NuSnake

Hey guys, I broke my foot
banghead_125.gif
about 6 or 7 weeks ago playing raquetball with a friend, I thought it was a sprain so I didnt go to the doc until a couple weeks ago, yeah yeah i know...but I dont like goin to the doc for anything...I would rather wait for it to heal...but anyways, I get around on it fine now, no trouble walking but I am aprehensive about running on it again, but I really need to be running and I sometimes wanna just suck it up and run, but then again I dont wanna hurt it any worse....

any advice on how to ease back into a pretty tough running schedule??
icon_smile_question.gif
Thanks.

farkle84

if i were you i would let it heal. dont jack it up so there is permanent damage. you would be suprise at how much in shape you can get in two weeks. if i were you for no is lift weights. do abs. and do the rowing machine for cardio. that way you foot has time to heal and you are still getting some exercise. try to stay off it and no matter how bad you want to toughen it out and deal with the pain, you are only going to hurt yourself more in the long run.

johnmyson

OC Radioactive Man
I sprained my ankle pretty badly about 9 weeks ago. Just this week I've noticed that it is feeling a lot better, although it's still a little swollen.

I don't know how exactly your foot is injured, but what I've been doing is stretching mine out. At least twice a day I take 10 min and give my ankle a quality stretch in all directions, and a massage. I think that has made a huge difference in my recovery.

About three weeks ago I started working on the rowing machine (just like farkle84 said). It was only natural for me to do that because I've done crew for the last three years. After a week of that, I started running. Just an easy 15min jog at first. That jog made the muscles in my foot incredible sore, but I think it was just from not having used them very often, not from the injury.

My advice would be to just start out slow. I've been running about once a week and doing 30 min on the ergometer (rowing machine) 2-4 times a weeks. But I've been forcing myself to skip workouts if my ankle doesn't feel good on that day. It feels like the strength is rapidly increasing, but I'm forcing myself to only gradually increase my workout routine.

Just give it plenty of time to rest and heal (both before you start working on it AND in between workouts)

RobNLa

Will,

Stay off of it. After you think it is completely healed, give it another couple of weeks. Farkle is right. This is one time when you don't need to be tough about it. There are plently of other exercises to do without using it. How proficient of a swimmer are you? Might be an ideal time to work on that. How bad are you going to feel if you hurt yourself really bad and have to roll back your OCS date?

Rob

NuSnake

haha yeah for real...my recruiter has already reinforced the "stay off of it until its better stuff".....im just gonna start swimming and using the row machine and hopefully keep in decent shape. Thanks guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.