• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Advice

pilotwannab

I have currently been working out for a little over a week and I graduate this December. I haven't talked to a recruiter yet and I know everyone says to do that immediately. I have just recently decided that I am going to bust my a$$ to get a commission as a Naval Aviator. This is my concern:

Since I have only been working out a week, I am afraid that my recruiter will not take me seriously. My run time needs alot of work and I'm about 6 - 10 pull-ups away from getting max'd. I have heard that on initial contact with a recruitor, he is going to want me to do a PT ASAP. Please chime in and let me know what you guys think. I do NOT want to make a bad impression and would like the best chance at an approval for commission.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
You will come in and take the ASTB first, this will see if you are wasting your time and the recruiter is wasting his/her time. After the test, then you guys talk about MEPS, PRT, etc etc etc.. So 1) call a recruiter 2) study for the ASTB 3) take it and then see where you are at. In the meantime keep working on your fitness anyway. The benefits are valuable whether you are going into the military or not.

Also, the initial contact with the recruiter, he/she will ask you some questions just to kind of gauge your competitiveness in whatever pipeline you are choosing. So be prepared to discuss g.p.a. where you are at in your degree program and what not. Dress decent when you go visit as well.

Some good websites. http://navy-prt.com/ (Gives you a benchmark on where you need to be..Good Low and up)
http://www.navy.com/findarecruiter/ (self explanatory)

pilotwannab

Thanks OUSOONER. I'm not sweating the ASTB. With all the information at my school library and on this sight, I think I'll do alright. Thanks for the helpful insight!

Lobster

Don't wait to get ahold of your recruiter, the sooner you get in contact with them the sooner you can start working on your package. This will get you on his radar and also make sure its not a fire drill to get your package in when you graduate. Don't worry about the PRT just be honest with all your information and your recruiter will do the same. Good Luck!!

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
As was said, the first step is to discuss your goals with a recruiter and take the ASTB. You will not take the PRT until later in the application process when you go to MEPS and get all your medical stuff done. The PRT is actually one of the last things you do before you go to OCS.

By the way, the Navy PFA consists of curlups, pushups, and a 1.5 mi run. There are no pullups on it.

Lobster

One other thing with the training, don't over do it and hurt yourself, train hard but also train smart.

Crowbar

None
pilotwannab's profile said:
Training like Mad to meet PFT requirements for USMC

I'm guessing that a PRT is not high priority right now.

Everybody trying to help you is talking about how the Navy does it. Obviously for us you have to have at least a first class PFT to be eligible for OCS, so the PFT timing might be a little different.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
Yeah I didn't see the USMC stuff..different rules, different ballgame. Fitness goes to the top of the list on that one.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
His profile says USMC..and I guess technically NAVAL Aviator encompasses USMC pilots. They are "SNA's" as well in flight school.

pilotwannab

Sorry for the confusion. A Marine commission is what I am after. I have always heard Marine pilots called Naval aviators. Sorry if I was misinformed.

Lobster

Sorry for the confusion. A Marine commission is what I am after. I have always heard Marine pilots called Naval aviators. Sorry if I was misinformed.

I don't know about the other guys but the info I posted eariler was for navy, not sure how much if any difference there is for marine guys going through OCS, search around here though I'm sure you can find gouge. good luck

srqwho

pilot
Like you said... you are interested in going USMC. But, in case it's of any interest, I first spoke with my NAVY OR in Jan and didn't do my PRT till late April. The entire application process from first meeting till pro-rec was Jan-June. Sorry if you have no use for this info b/c I worked with a Navy OR. Good luck.