• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Advice please

twztdfmgtr

I'm 22, 23 on the first of Feb. and am going into the USMC. I'm a few credits away from an AA degree as a Pro. Pilot. I'm in good physical condition, and continually working to improve it, as well as a 93 ASVAB test score. My eyes are 20/40, but easily correctable to 20/20. I'm planning on going Reserves, entering PLC to go to college and get a BS in either physics or just Applied Science. When I get the BS degree, I'll be approx. 25 yrs old. Will I be too old to start flight training?

Taxman2A

War were declared.
25 is not too old. You can search the forum for more specific answers as to age limitations, but I'm certain 25 is plenty of time.
If you are planning on finishing your degree in 2 years, when do you plan on fitting in time for the reserves in addition to PLC? Unless you have always wanted to be a reservist I would recommend just going PLC at this point. Good luck.

twztdfmgtr

It was explained to me that after MOS, I'll be a Reservist and at that point I apply to PLC since I'll basically have my AA. I'll go to school for a BS while doing my reserve duty one weekend a month, 2 weeks in summer. Between Jr and Sr years, I go to OCS. I was told that already being a reservist will help me in OCS because I'm already disciplined, already in the Marines (as an aviation mechanic btw) so I already know the aircraft, and am already in good physical condition to pass the PT. That made sense to me, so that's what I'm in the middle of doing. I just haven't joined yet, but i will in the next couple days

scotty008

Back at last
pilot
I turned 25 just after completing OCS. We've got two guys in our TBS company who are 27- both are headed to Pensacola after finishing up here in March. I'm not sure of the current age cutoff, but last I heard it was that you must be no older than 27 at time of comissioning. This changes according to the needs of the service, but at 25 you shouldnt have any concern. That aside, you'll still want to get the ball rolling as quickly as possible.

KBayDog

twztdfmgtr said:
It was explained to me that after MOS, I'll be a Reservist and at that point I apply to PLC since I'll basically have my AA. I'll go to school for a BS while doing my reserve duty one weekend a month, 2 weeks in summer. Between Jr and Sr years, I go to OCS. I was told that already being a reservist will help me in OCS because I'm already disciplined, already in the Marines (as an aviation mechanic btw) so I already know the aircraft, and am already in good physical condition to pass the PT. That made sense to me, so that's what I'm in the middle of doing. I just haven't joined yet, but i will in the next couple days

A few considerations:

1. You do not need to be a reservist in order to go PLC.
2. While it is true that your boot camp experience will help you a little with OCS, it won't make all that much difference (except that you'll know how to tie your boots and make your rack). Boot camp and OCS are apples and oranges.
3. You'll need to be in good physical condition to be accepted to OCS - boot camp may/may not help you there. Remember that boot camp is designed to train a basic Marine to meet the MINIMUM standards - not turn you into a competitive OCS candidate. You must do that on your own.
4. Remember that, barring delays, boot camp is three months, MCT will take you the better part of a month, and your MOS school (depending on class availability) could take many, many months. This may cut into your timeline.
5. THE BIG ONE - Are you prepared for your college/PLC/commissioning plans to be interrupted by possible deployment? This is not the typical "You must want to be a Marine first" lecture; it is just a friendly reminder that as a reservist, you are first and foremost and enlisted Marine - if it is your turn to go to (wherever), you must be prepared to put all of your plans on hold and fulfill your obligations as a reservist.

Think long and hard about this decision; if your goal is to be a Marine, regardless of what the future brings, then absolutely go for it (the reserves). If your goal is to become a Marine officer, you might want to weigh the pros/cons of enlisting first, vice going through PLC as a "civilian."

If you've got any questions, check around this board, and don't hesitate to ask. Good luck with whatever you choose.

JZAB

Livin the MEU life
pilot
Age cut off

I was told the cut off is 27 1/2 years upon commissioning for air contracts. I was contracted last fall for plc-c for the up and coming summer 06’ and I am 25 years old, all most 26 years old. I will be 27 years and 2 months when I am commissioned and I am good to go. Ask your OSO for the full regs but I am 99.9% sure.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
KBayDog said:
5. THE BIG ONE - Are you prepared for your college/PLC/commissioning plans to be interrupted by possible deployment? This is not the typical "You must want to be a Marine first" lecture; it is just a friendly reminder that as a reservist, you are first and foremost and enlisted Marine - if it is your turn to go to (wherever), you must be prepared to put all of your plans on hold and fulfill your obligations as a reservist.
KBay beat me to it. I would plan on at least one deployment of at least 6 months. This could set you back in your education a year. I say "could" because you could end up being deployed right in the middle of the semester and then return in the middle of another semester. Just something to think about. Considering what your long term goal is, by-passing the reserves and applying directly to PLC may be your best bet. This is just my opinion of course and provided to your simply as food for thought.

MotivatorJames

Very good advice KBayDog

KBayDog said:
A few considerations:

1. You do not need to be a reservist in order to go PLC.
2. While it is true that your boot camp experience will help you a little with OCS, it won't make all that much difference (except that you'll know how to tie your boots and make your rack). Boot camp and OCS are apples and oranges.
3. You'll need to be in good physical condition to be accepted to OCS - boot camp may/may not help you there. Remember that boot camp is designed to train a basic Marine to meet the MINIMUM standards - not turn you into a competitive OCS candidate. You must do that on your own.
4. Remember that, barring delays, boot camp is three months, MCT will take you the better part of a month, and your MOS school (depending on class availability) could take many, many months. This may cut into your timeline.

Think long and hard about this decision; if your goal is to be a Marine, regardless of what the future brings, then absolutely go for it (the reserves). If your goal is to become a Marine officer, you might want to weigh the pros/cons of enlisting first, vice going through PLC as a "civilian."

If you've got any questions, check around this board, and don't hesitate to ask. Good luck with whatever you choose.

I have been in the same predicament. It is exactly right that the boot camp experience may/may not help you get accepted to OCS over any other civilian/ military PLC candidate. The recruiters tell you that being enlisted will give you the advantage but in all reality it may end up in you getting deployed for 12 months+ and your education will get interrputed. It is not a bad way to go, but DO UNDERSTAND the obligation that you owe while enlisted. Its better to go PLC non-enlisted if you can, but if your ultimate goal is to be a Marine and eventually a Marine Officer, then the PLC Reservist route is a good option to consider. -MotivatorJames