• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Advice/Help

LordTravi

Annoying Pre-BDCP Guy
Hello everyone, I'm sorry about the fact that you probably get a lot of posts like this one.

I recently heard about the BDCP and have been interested since then. Serving my country after school was always something I wanted to do, and the fact that I could get paid to get good grades and stay in shape is amazing.

Anyway, I've emailed my recruiter a few times and went to a meeting where they showed us NUPOC and Civil Navy stuff.

My major (aerospace engineering) only applies, according to the recruiter, to aviation and NFO. While I really like the idea of doing those jobs, they are (according to him) nearly impossible to get.

If anyone here got accepted for aviation or NFO, could you offer any tips or tell me some approximate qualifications? Also, something I could never clear up, if you do BDCP do you still do interviews in DC and all that, or is most of it done by mail? I know for NUPOC you do travel, but I wasn't able to get a clear answer on BDCP.

My grades are good and I do have service, extra curriculars, etc. But I don't play organized sports (only playing for fun with friends). Does that mean I'd be a lot less likely to get a slot?

Anyway, thanks again.

joboy_2.0

professional undergraduate
Contributor
Nothing is impossible. If you want aviation go for it. I am AE and got SNA. If you want NUPOC, go NUPOC. You have to apply first to get rejected....

phrogpilot73

My major (aerospace engineering) only applies, according to the recruiter, to aviation and NFO. While I really like the idea of doing those jobs, they are (according to him) nearly impossible to get.
That's a load of crap. I know people with all sorts of degrees in all sorts of officer fields. I've known Criminal Justice Majors that are pilots, and Aerospace Engineering Majors that are SWOs. The Navy/USMC is VERY good at teaching you to do what you qualify for. I'd talk to a different recruiter...

Kycntryboy

pilot
I recently heard about the BDCP ...

If you are going towards a bachelor's degree (any) from a for year college you qualify for anything under the umbrella of BDCP. Being a technical major (engineering) you qualify 36 months out from graduation to be accepted. So any designator that is under BDCP you are game for.

if you do BDCP do you still do interviews in DC and all that?
You don't have to do interviews.
But I don't play organized sports (only playing for fun with friends). Does that mean I'd be a lot less likely to get a slot?

No, just different, it helps but the panel takes everything into consideration when they look at your package.

Hope this helps,
Clay

CaptainRon

pilot
Contributor
Don't worry about the athletic factor man.

On my application, the noteworthy athletic parts included "Downhill Ski Team Captain in High School" and "Co-ed Intramural Softball in College." So, even a disaster of an athlete like me can slip through the radar.

joboy_2.0

Contributor
Don't worry about the athletic factor man.

On my application, the noteworthy athletic parts included "Downhill Ski Team Captain in High School" and "Co-ed Intramural Softball in College." So, even a disaster of an athlete like me can slip through the radar.

I hate sports and I got picked up for SNA. Never played a single sport a day in my life. Are these really the things people worry about? :sleep_125

CaptainRon

pilot
Contributor
I hate sports and I got picked up for SNA. Never played a single sport a day in my life. Are these really the things people worry about? :sleep_125

You mean you never even tried them? I tried pretty much every sport and sucked at just about all of them except for baseball...and then I quit all real sports at age 14.

Hockey was a blast, but it's too bad I was slips McGee on a pair of skates. I could have done better on a wheelchair out there.

BigRed389

None
Hello everyone, I'm sorry about the fact that you probably get a lot of posts like this one.

I recently heard about the BDCP and have been interested since then. Serving my country after school was always something I wanted to do, and the fact that I could get paid to get good grades and stay in shape is amazing.

Anyway, I've emailed my recruiter a few times and went to a meeting where they showed us NUPOC and Civil Navy stuff.

If anyone here got accepted for aviation or NFO, could you offer any tips or tell me some approximate qualifications? Also, something I could never clear up, if you do BDCP do you still do interviews in DC and all that, or is most of it done by mail? I know for NUPOC you do travel, but I wasn't able to get a clear answer on BDCP.

My grades are good and I do have service, extra curriculars, etc. But I don't play organized sports (only playing for fun with friends). Does that mean I'd be a lot less likely to get a slot?

Anyway, thanks again.

If you're interested in aviation, talk to your recruiter about taking the ASTB as soon as practicable.

If you ace it, the "impossible" will probably seem a lot more "possible" to your recruiter.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick

NUPOC is the only one that has interviews in DC. Your application is screened first to see if you'll be invited. Once invited, the spot is yours to lose. You're not competing with others for a spot in a typical interview sense, as they're looking to screen you in, not out. You'll also find out right then and there if you're accepted, however, make sure this is something you want to do, because you can't turn it down in DC after the interviews.

Concur with Phrogpilot on this one, that's total shit. The Navy needs aviators, so they have to get them from somewhere.

LordTravi

Annoying Pre-BDCP Guy
Thanks so much for the numerous, intelligent, and fast replies :)

I'm going to talk to my recruiter about taking that test and I'll see if I can get anything else out of him regarding what careers I can do with my degree.

Thanks everyone

joboy_2.0

Contributor
what is it recently with posts of recruiters telling candidates they are stupid or have no chance, or just generally giving bad gouge??

WishICouldFly

UO Future Pork Chop
Well, I have to say my OSO definitely hasn't been doing that. He's been straightforward, honest, and most of what he's said makes complete sense as far as recruiting and the Navy goes.

Kickflip89

Below Ladder
None
Contributor
My grades are good and I do have service, extra curriculars, etc. But I don't play organized sports (only playing for fun with friends). Does that mean I'd be a lot less likely to get a slot

Basically, the board looks at the whole person and tries to make a decision based on that. You seem like you could be a strong candidate, so why not start studying for the ASTB. If you get good scores on the ASTB, along with some other positive factors on your application, you can definately get selected.