• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Advice for SNA switching to SNFO

parrothead08

KCCO
pilot
Nah man, you didn't get what you want so just quit. :cool:

Seriously though, this situation is great practice for the rest of your career. You'll be happy as a member of the aviation community no matter what you do. Remember that the worst day flying is better than the best day afloat. Your career will be full of times where you want one thing and get another (especially during selection time). Have fun, good luck, and fly safe.

99.5% True. TH57C EP + special missions class < Getting drunk on the beach during an Aruba port call.

Atreyu098

This post you started. This is the exact situation I am in and it really hurt me when I got DQ'd because I missed one letter with my left eye on the chart. Broke my heart because I have been chasing the cockpit for years, since I was 5. Was wondering if you could update me on how you are doing nearly a year and a half later. How you like FO and how you dealt with the whole pilot to fo thing. Please let me know!

Renegade One

None
This post you started. This is the exact situation I am in and it really hurt me when I got DQ'd because I missed one letter with my left eye on the chart. Broke my heart because I have been chasing the cockpit for years, since I was 5. Was wondering if you could update me on how you are doing nearly a year and a half later. How you like FO and how you dealt with the whole pilot to fo thing. Please let me know!
Well, after you get over the fucking heart break, it's just the next best thing…and about the same in many ways. Community independent, I'm sure, but the pay/flight pay/promotion opportunities/challenges, opportunities for command, major command, very senior rank, etc are all EXACTLY the same…and all depend on HOW YOU PERFORM. Yes…retention bonuses may differ…and probably will…but that's the way it goes.

I also know too many NFOs who have gone on to long careers flying "in the game/with the majors" to shake a stick at. So if that's your "end of the tunnel" vision…don't sweat it.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
Well, after you get over the fucking heart break, it's just the next best thing…and about the same in many ways.

So someone who wanted to be a pilot since he was 5 got DQ'd, he's upset and you're saying he needs to "get over the fucking heart break"?

He never said anything disparaging about NFO except that his dream was to be a pilot and he did not achieve his dream. He then asked someone who went through the same thing how he was liked being a FO and how he dealt with switching.

Nice mentoring R1.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor

Disappointment is understandable. However, the key to success as an NFO for you will be to not be bitter about being a NFO, or having a chip on your shoulder because you didn't get to continue to be a pilot. It isn't the NFO communities fault that things didn't work out for you, so don't resent it. You will still be in the cockpit and a VERY important member of the team, and Naval Aviation as a whole. You can still be a civilian pilot on the outside. I have several NFO friends who do that on their own (and own their own airplanes as well) so they get both worlds.

Kick ass in NFO and don't look back. You can still have an awesome life and career in Naval Aviation if you don't let your personality and outlook hold you back.

Renegade One

None
If the young man made it past your first sentence, there's actually decent advice in there...
So someone who wanted to be a pilot since he was 5 got DQ'd, he's upset and you're saying he needs to "get over the fucking heart break"?

He never said anything disparaging about NFO except that his dream was to be a pilot and he did not achieve his dream. He then asked someone who went through the same thing how he was liked being a FO and how he dealt with switching.

Nice mentoring R1.
Hey…just for the record…"I wanted to be a military fighter pilot since I was 5 years old" as well. All I'm saying is that there are many alternatives…NFO is but one... none of which should be dismissed just because of the vision DQ.

Sorry for the tough love…which I increasingly understand has no place on this forum.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
I'm not sure it's as much this forum, as much as it is that a lot of the meaning/tone gets lost on the internet so people easily come off as assholes, even when they don't mean to.

Atreyu098

To R1, I've read you post somewhere before a much more bitter comment than the one you posted here and afterwards you said gotta have a tough heart on this forum, so that's how I took it. However, the problem was I never said I wanted to be a military fighter pilot which my words were twisted around. I am not trying to be Maverick here, in fact much rather would have gone the Helo route which is why the NFO thing never was in my head. However, I appreciate everyone else helping me out. I have a buddy who I hopefully will go through flight school together who didn't get his first choice, and we both do agree that instead of moping around, we are going to try and be the best FOs we can be.

Renegade One

None
I'm not sure it's as much this forum, as much as it is that a lot of the meaning/tone gets lost on the internet so people easily come off as assholes, even when they don't mean to.
Sorry I came off as an asshole, after 31+ years of being the second best thing I could imagine.
To R1, I've read you post somewhere before a much more bitter comment than the one you posted here and afterwards you said gotta have a tough heart on this forum, so that's how I took it. However, the problem was I never said I wanted to be a military fighter pilot which my words were twisted around. I am not trying to be Maverick here, in fact much rather would have gone the Helo route which is why the NFO thing never was in my head. However, I appreciate everyone else helping me out. I have a buddy who I hopefully will go through flight school together who didn't get his first choice, and we both do agree that instead of moping around, we are going to try and be the best FOs we can be.
Maverick doesn't/didn't exist. NAs do…be they in any community. Navy Rotary Wing Aviation…as I've said many times before…is probably the hardest job in Naval Aviation.

Thanks to you and your buddy for trying to be the best you can be.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Sorry I came off as an asshole, after 31+ years of being the second best thing I could imagine.

Maverick doesn't/didn't exist. NAs do…be they in any community. Navy Rotary Wing Aviation…as I've said many times before…is probably the hardest job in Naval Aviation.

Thanks to you and your buddy for trying to be the best you can be.
Doesn't mean I haven't played volleyball in jeans and dog tags...and I am most definitely "dangerous"...but telling the truth does not make one an asshole...

There are a LOT of redesignated SNA's in the fleet...some double-anchor, some intel, some SWO...you have two ways to go about it: grow where you are planted; or be a bitter fucker...there are enough of the latter to make it hard for the former...
Pickle

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
Like in CRM/ACT (or whatever term is en vogue now) the method of transmission is just as important as the info you're trying to convey.

Is there times to use tough love, yeah.

When someone is asking a fellow member their experiences of transferring from SNA to SNFO in a thread entitled "Advice for SNA switching to SNFO" IMO is not a time to use tough love.

For the individual who had questions, provide answers and encourage him to take up the new challenge before him. Let him know that lots of folks didn't get what they dreamed about (hence, I never got to fly the F-14). Let him know that there are still great opportunities to promote and lead as an NFO and you can tell him he has a better shot of making flag then helo pilots routinely do.

But telling the truth doesn't have to start with an F-bomb.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Well, you came across like an asshole. Not the first time btw, live and learn...or not. Wouldn't surprise me either way.