• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

advice for "Fallen Angel" to get commercial pilot job

eubankp

I am a Navy flight school washout and now that I'm out of the Navy (after 4 years out of the cockpit) I want to become an airline pilot. I finished Primary training in the T-34, and all of Advanced training in the TH-57 helo until the final instruments check-ride, which I failed. They had plenty of pilots so they gave me the boot to surface warfare. I had a private pilot's certificate before I went into the Navy, which will need to be re-upped.
What kind of a path am I looking at to get hired for an airline? I know I need an IFR certificate and a Commercial pilot's rating, but how quickly can I do that taking into account that I already have around 500 hours and a ton in sims too, with a lot of prior (though dusty by now) instrument training? Which airlines should I apply to first? My cousin, a SW pilot recommends I try for SkyWest commuter airline.
Thank you for your help.
Perry

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
I am a Navy flight school washout and now that I'm out of the Navy (after 4 years out of the cockpit) I want to become an airline pilot. I finished Primary training in the T-34, and all of Advanced training in the TH-57 helo until the final instruments check-ride, which I failed. They had plenty of pilots so they gave me the boot to surface warfare. I had a private pilot's certificate before I went into the Navy, which will need to be re-upped.
What kind of a path am I looking at to get hired for an airline? I know I need an IFR certificate and a Commercial pilot's rating, but how quickly can I do that taking into account that I already have around 500 hours and a ton in sims too, with a lot of prior (though dusty by now) instrument training? Which airlines should I apply to first? My cousin, a SW pilot recommends I try for SkyWest commuter airline.
Thank you for your help.
Perry

You're essentially starting over. No need to "re-up" your PPL, just get your commercial instrument and MEL.

Then apply for commuters and prepare for life to suck financially for awhile.

SkyWest would be a good gig for you, if you can get it.

Good luck.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Isn't a typical question for commercial interviews, "Have you ever failed a check ride?" how much weight would that carry?

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Isn't a typical question for commercial interviews, "Have you ever failed a check ride?" how much weight would that carry?

Yes. That's going to hurt him somewhat, but won't be unrecoverable.

I had a buddy thrown out of advanced jets for an "integrity violation" and he got a job with a regional. He even got adsepped somehow.

I wasn't an adsep expert at the time.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I had an undesignated aviation officer (fallen angel who didn't redesignate) in my last reserve unit who used his GI Bill to get all his tickets and had flown for a regional for at least 8 years. It was only the last year or two that he was albe to make a 'decent' living though, he was periodically requesting mobilizations to make more money.

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot
Then apply for commuters and prepare for life to suck financially for awhile.

http://www.airlinepilotcentral.com/airlines/regional.html

Start clicking through these Regional Airlines and take a look at the pay and take into account the time and expense it takes to get the hours and quals. Do some research on the new ATP requirement and factor that in as well. Flash's example is 8 years which, IMO, is pretty realistic. Don't forget the ebb and flow of PIC (sometimes ME) requirements so you'll have to be the PIC for a while not just logging SIC.

Next, click on the forums section of the same site and, like here, search and learn. Take note of the number of guys who are way more qualified than you and how much they are scrambling for the same stepping stone jobs you are looking to land and take note of their lifestyle.

After all of that research if you still want to go down that path, have your head examined. Starting from that far down on the totem poll in hopes of landing the major job will be a tough path. Make sure you are making an informed decision before you commit.

My advice...don't do it. Find a career that will allow you to fly for fun.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
^^^

There are niche markets out there served by puddle jumper airlines like that. I rode on a couple between Caribbean islands a few years ago (on legitimate TAD no less, tickets care of SATO- thanks, Navy!) and I gotta admit, there was some "fun" appeal to the pilot gigs... as a viable way to earn an income, I dunno <shrug>

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
^^^

There are niche markets out there served by puddle jumper airlines like that. I rode on a couple between Caribbean islands a few years ago (on legitimate TAD no less, tickets care of SATO- thanks, Navy!) and I gotta admit, there was some "fun" appeal to the pilot gigs... as a viable way to earn an income, I dunno <shrug>

Oh see. I'll put my application in at the 20 year + 1 day mark. With a paid off house ;)

JD81

FUBIJAR
pilot
Which airlines should I apply to first? My cousin, a SW pilot recommends I try for SkyWest commuter airline.
Thank you for your help.
Perry

As a guy that works on the training side of the airline industry, I can give you some insight as to what you would need etc... I would investigate the lifestyle a bit more as well, you will get paid crap money for a few years no matter what regional you are at, and as a new guy you'll more than likely be sitting reserve for some time before you can hold a regular schedule line. Some regional carriers are better than others, some pay more than others, but in the end its all about getting to the left seat and PIC as fast as possible. If you want more particulars feel free to PM me and I can share some info, but with the new ATP req's for all aircrew coming you would need to obtain the ATP min's fairly quickly as well.

Like what was said above, find a good well paying job utilizing your education and other skills and fly for fun on the side, I enjoy that much more than I would line flying.

- J

ryan1234

Thank you for your help.
Perry

The regional route really depends on your true end goal. If it's to fly for the majors, the regionals might be right for you. Before I went into the Air Force, I had a very nice job flying a Citation 650 and various other cool aircraft in cool capacities. Definitely recommend the corporate, part 91 route if you can swing into it. The hiring process is more referral than a pool of applications, so spending time with corporate flight departments is key to getting hired. The jobs are out there. I have a friend in T-45s right now who left a really nice job flying a G-V to go fly with the Navy. As for your time: The sims, obviously mean about nothing, 500 hours is a good start. Just grab a Commercial Multi (it'll take about 20-25 hours more than likely) and work on grabbing a CFI/MEI/CFII and instructing until you find a job.

As others have stated, the regional pay scale is anti-climactic at best. Good luck either way.