• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Advice for a junior sailor...

navymech

Sir's, and OC's alike,

I just wanted to say thanks again for you're time in replying to my message. I really appreciate it, it does nothing but encourage me even more to go for it. I wish I could apply to each, but duty calls.

This will be an interesting few months coming up, and I'll certainly be keeping you updated on how things are coming along.

Thanks again,
-navymech

pat

Just another quick thought: Try to find an O that you respect/like, who is willing to help you out, to act as a mentor. Let him know you are serious, and he/she will likely lend a hand.

I say this because, in the frustration of putting together my package, earning new qualls, all while working late and underway forever, I got burnt out and said fck it. Were it not for my DivO (who is long gone but I still talk to regularly) pushing me when I was sick of it all, I might not have stuck it out. Also, he scored me some great contacts for recommendations, and helped with my boards.

Good luck, and don't hesitate to ask if you need a hand.

cdrsniper

Lovin' life....
Mech, stay on course!! I had a sailor get picked up for STA21 after being in the Navy for only a year and a half. Stay on track and let no one stop you. You will get there soon enough! Good on you shipmate!!

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
Stay motivated...you will absolutely love this program, especially if you like PT!

Sayre

navymech,

Have you considered the Naval Academy as a path to a commission? At 19 you're still young enough to be eligible and it carries a great deal of prestige in many circles. See OPNAVINST 1420.1A Chapter 3 for all the info.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
navymech,

Have you considered the Naval Academy as a path to a commission? At 19 you're still young enough to be eligible and it carries a great deal of prestige in many circles. See OPNAVINST 1420.1A Chapter 3 for all the info.

A very good option to keep in mind, and I'm glad you mentioned it. HOWEVER...I highly recommend no one goes to the Academy just for the prestige. That in and of itself will not get you through. My two cents.

phrogpilot73

A very good option to keep in mind, and I'm glad you mentioned it. HOWEVER...I highly recommend no one goes to the Academy just for the prestige. That in and of itself will not get you through. My two cents.
Agreed. Had several classmates that went for the prestige, and ended up leaving...

user2176

STA-21 Core Selectee FY08
Contributor
My LT asked why not the Academy when I put in my package; unfortunately I'm too old, 23. I believe the cutoff is 22?

My two cents: I've read and heard good things on the lessens learned in the Academy that are beneficial for a military career. Look into it.

navymech

navymech,

Sayre,

Yes, I have looked into it. It seems like it would be a fantastic opportunity to attend, but, when it all comes down to it I feel like I'd be better suited at a state university.

Thanks for the tip though!

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Sayre,

Yes, I have looked into it. It seems like it would be a fantastic opportunity to attend, but, when it all comes down to it I feel like I'd be better suited at a state university.

Thanks for the tip though!

Why do you think that?

navymech

Why do you think that?

Honestly, it's merely personal preference. I have a friend who is there now, as well as a friend who is going to the USAFA and, while they speak highly of both institutions, I didn't get the vibe I wanted from hearing them talk about daily life at an academy.

... it would be a truly great success story though, a former enlisted engineer, accepted to and a graduate of the US Naval Academy. Although, if I was doing is solely for that purpose (prestige, poster boy for Navy success stories) I would be doing it for all the wrong reasons.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Honestly, it's merely personal preference. I have a friend who is there now, as well as a friend who is going to the USAFA and, while they speak highly of both institutions, I didn't get the vibe I wanted from hearing them talk about daily life at an academy.

... it would be a truly great success story though, a former enlisted engineer, accepted to and a graduate of the US Naval Academy. Although, if I was doing is solely for that purpose (prestige, poster boy for Navy success stories) I would be doing it for all the wrong reasons.

That's cool, just curious.

navymech

Sir's,

I have another question for you. I'm going to make an appointment for my flight physical soon, and was wondering about what they do as far as testing one's vision? Is it just like going to an optometrist, or is it a more detailed exam?

Also, my vision is 20/400. I've read here, and have been told by a couple of pilots at the air show that they will accept up to 20/400, with the use of soft contacts. Although you must have worn them for at least 6 months, which I have. (4-5 years)

I was wondering though, is this really legit? I don't want to get my hopes up thinking it is, and wind up going to the flight physical to find out that I'm disqualified from flying in the Navy. I know that my vision isn't going to stop me from making it, I'll pay for PRK if I have to. If that was the case, I'd hope that it would show them my dedication to the Navy and desire to become an Naval Aviator. Or is this a common occurrence in STA-21, and OCS applicants wanting to fly?

As always, any help is certainly appreciated.

-mech

ps. if anyone flew in the Oceana Air Show... outstanding job! I had a blast.