• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Advice for a junior sailor...

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
There are a couple semi-current threads that cover this topic. I believe there is also a sticky.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Good deal, I'll check them out. Thanks.

-mech

I thought there was a sticky, but I can't find it, I will post it if I do.

A very current thread that covers a lot of this is something with a title like "New vision requirements" or something. The OP was redmdgirl, or a somewhat similar name.

robav8r

None
Contributor
I'm going to make an appointment for my flight physical soon, and was wondering about what they do as far as testing one's vision?

Lots of good gouge on this subject found within. If you do nothing else, get a really good nights sleep and hydrate like crazy the day and evening before. It will make a difference, trust me !!!
;)

navymech

I just read through the PRK forum. From what I could tell the contact lense waiver is for winged aviators, and allows the vision to be 20/400. SNA applicants must have 20/40 and correctable to 20/20 both eyes. Eye refractions must be between 8.00 and + 3.00. I don't know what mine are, I'll know when I have the physical.

It's all quite confusing. I'm just going to go in and get the exam. I either get a "yes" or a "no"

...although, I think it's time to start saving for PRK. :-(

haubby

None
Contributor
Or you can apply to the Navy PRK program and have them do it for free. Its all dependent on how fast you want it done.

navymech

Or you can apply to the Navy PRK program and have them do it for free. Its all dependent on how fast you want it done.

Right, that is another definite option. When I transfer to the Truman I'll get in touch with Medical and see if I can't get my name on the list to have the operation. I'll make the decision later on if I want to pay out of pocket so I can put in a package for next year, or I may very well go Core and get the operation at a later time, then hopefully get picked up for Pilot. I'll see what is the best option.

Have any advice?

sickboy

pilot
You can always put in an application for a NROTC scholarship too. I got picked up for that last year after only a year and a half in the navy. I was an E-3 at the time. The only downside that I can think of is that you get separated from active duty to participate, because of that you loose your paygrade. But it's still a good path to a degree and a commission.

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
Make sure you keep working on earning your degree! Keep applying for STA...but if you don't get accepted, you'll be almost done with your degree by the time of your EOS. Then, do what I did and apply for OCS. The boards like prior enlisted guys that earned their degrees on active duty.

-Ken