• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Advice for 28.5 Former Marine

Status
Not open for further replies.

pklesius

Good afternoon,

After reading several threads regarding age and USMC OOC Air Contracts I am feeling more confused than ever. I've turned 28 in January and I think that I'd like to take a crack at OCS late this year/early next year (Jan 2005).

I think I am a strong candidate. I served as an 0311 for 9 years in the reserves, went to a ton of schools, I have a BA and MS with a 3.9 GPA... fitnesswise I am confident that I can run a 285 in three months. As far as taking the academic tests, if I get a month to prep, I'll ace 'em.

Being a former grunt, it took a while for this thought to sink in. I hate to get all geared up to go and I would never trust and OSO/recruiter to give me the scoop on my age. Even if I left for class 187, I would just barely make it before I turn 29.

Does anyone have recent experience with this or know for sure if I have a shot? I'm calling my OSO tomorrow...

Crowbar

None
pklesius said:
I would never trust and OSO/recruiter to give me the scoop on my age.

But you would trust information from an online bulletin board more than you would trust an OSO?

You aren't too old. But don't waste time, go ahead and start the application. A couple of years ago, the head of officer recruiting talked to us and said the absolute drop dead cut off for commissioning was 35, and for flight it was 30. Last year, MCRC said that no flight guarantees would be given for those older than 29, but waivers were available based on the "whole Marine" concept. If I had to guess, I would say that some or all of that has changed. As a matter of reference, I go an SNFO guarantee and I won't finish TBS until after I turn 29.

Call the OSO and trust him/her. (S)He is a Marine, after all. Believe it or not, OSO's have more/better information than everybody on this board combined. Good luck!

Clarification: Two years ago, you had to start flight training by 30 yrs old. Last year, had to start flight training by 29 yrs old, waiverable based on "whole Marine" concept (say for me I won't even finish TBS until I'm 29). Don't know how (or if) that has changed since then...

pklesius

Cbar - thanks for the information. It's keeping me optimistic.

Crowbar said:
But you would trust information from an online bulletin board more than you would trust an OSO?

I don't assume that anyone is going to gather the facts other than myself. I wanted to hear what you offered - a concrete example of someone doing what I am hoping to do. I honestly appreciate you taking the time to help me out.

Regards

towbubba

boot 46 pilot
Don't do what he is doing try to be a pilot. Time line for pilots should be considered too. Do you want to be 33 years old heading for your first squadron as a boot? Hell I think I am too old and I'll be 28. There is a guy in my squadron now who is gonna be 30 and he went to OCC when he was same age you will be if you get selected. Either way you will know before you sign if you're accepted fo air. Hard core killer like you shouldn't care though if you are a ground officer though, eh? :icon_wink

pklesius

Cbar. Thanks for your help.

I actually completed PLC- Jr back in 1995 when I was 19, but I declined for coming back to seniors (dot com boom and Clinton). I think I know what I am considering... I mean, I have a great job, live in Manhattan... I should be happy, but I just like how I feel when I with the Marines. I can't really explain it (but the huge pay cut could be tough).

As far as being 33 and a 'boot' - oh no! I hope I dont get my feelings hurt by a 26 year old with a degree from Devry.

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
I'm about to be 34 and I'm not even winged yet. Guess I'll be 35 before I head to my first fleet squadron as a boot. Hmmm a 35 year old boot flying or a 35 year old boot ground pounding. I'll take flying any day.

Dave

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
EODDave said:
I'm about to be 34 and I'm not even winged yet
What's your callsign?

Gramps?
Metamucil?
Geezer?
Depends?

:icon_tong You can tell us....

Doc33

Geriatric

This by far has been the most hilarious posting yet. The optimism is definately high here :icon_tong . Anyway, I am going back into the Navy (I know, I know) at age 29 into OCS this fall and then to SNFO school. Should be interesting but I understand your feeling of something missing, that's why I'm going back in. But, I'm not living in Manhattan either only Mackinaw City and there are not a lot of prospects in the job market much at all in Michigan as of now. So, our situations are a little different. Anyway, I hope the best to you and make the right decision. Once a Marine, always a Marine

reapergm

Im 26, and Ill keep trying until I am 30. The idea of flying for a living/ for the Marines? Hell, if you are in the shape to give it the shot, why not? Go for it!

towbubba

boot 46 pilot
I don't even think Devry is an acceptable degree for the Corps. E5B does that stand for "Sgt Bootcamper"? Did you pay your GI Bill yet? I guess you could be worse off you could be a reversist givin me sh*t. How are your cruise forms going E5B?

oleboy

pklesius, I am in the same boat as you. Prior enlisted 1994 to 1999, crewchief on 53s active duty w/1000+ hours and a additional MOS; 6177 weapons and tactics crewchief instructor, not to mention Honor Grad @ P.I.

Talked to the local OSO and he told me age waviers would be hard to get, but we could try. I feel very confident that I can get a 280 or better on the PFT plus oustanding recommendations from LTCOLs & COLs. I was shocked when the Captain who couldn't have been more than 25 said, " We are getting enough applicants that we don't have to give waviers." It was a real eye opener. I thought the Corp would always take me back, but maybe not.

Personally I want to fly, which is why I am also considering the Army WOFT (warrant officr flight training) program. My own struggle is trying to decide if I want to be a Marine more than I want to fly, which to be honest and having lived in the Marine Aviation Community for 5 years, Flying is much appealing to me than Commissioning. But something keeps pulling me back to the Corp, maybe the challenge, maybe commissioned pay, its something I think about on a daily basis.

I haven't made up my mind yet, the Corp may have made it up for me. But If you want to fly Helo's then the Army with give you that opportunity up 29 with no waiver. From my understanding, as a army warrant, you fly more than any commissioned guy, and have less B/S to deal with. However the pay is not nearly as good.

Just some food for thought...

pklesius

oleboy (is that Ole Miss? I went to Auburn...)

Anyway, I meet with the OSO tonight in Manhattan. I gotta side with you... the Marines arent needing us anymore. He told me I have less than a 20 percent chance and that was being optimistic.

I am pretty frustrated. He sort of let on that I was competing with Columbia students that were more attractive because the Marines "can project these guys out". I asked him directly if it was worth my while and he said, "based on my 3 years of doing this, no". Waivers for us are limited and I need to run at least a 290 PFT by June since I'll be 29 by the time the next class starts. That would be close- I could possibly do it, but if I busted my hump and they said no, I might lose the favorable perspective that I have on the Marines. At the end of the day, I always want what is best for the Corps, but I'll admit my personal frustration.

Guess it all kind of brought me back to my days as an 0311... they break your back when they need you and your self esteem is thanks enough.

I'll begin looking at my other options. Thanks for the hint at my remaining choices. If you want to take this off-line or want more details... pklesius@hotmail.com

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
Oleboy, were you on the west coast? If so, what MEU's did you deploy with?

Status
Not open for further replies.