• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Adventures in Air India

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
The aviation agency report concluded that the 25-year-old co-pilot had not been trained in the specific scenario the jet encountered and “probably had no clue to tackle this kind of emergency.”
Not trained to bring the plane out of a dive? YGTBSM!

Pugs

Back from the range
None
I had an uncle who was a Boeing field rep and was there when Air India got their new 757 (or maybe the 767) and he did a lot of time in the jump seat with a Boeing check guy in the right. He shot some video and it was truly terrifying.

One was some single engine work and as you hear the rad alt announce "30 feet" the Air India Captain took his hands off the controls and said in his best 7-11 voice "Oh, I cannot do this" the Boeing guy of course said "I got it" and finished the landing.

No chance I'm EVER getting on Air India.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Note to self: Air India is not the carrier of choice.

Unrelated question to HAL or other Airline guys: Do you guys ever fly any type of approach other than ILS or visual approaches during the "normal" course of airline ops?

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Occaisonally. LOC, LDA, VOR, GPS and NDB (LNAV/VNAV of course using GPS overlay, anyway else just wouldn't be civilized).

Rubiks06

pilot
That really does seem far fetched .....not being trained to pull back on the yoke......more to this scenario maybe?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
That really does seem far fetched .....not being trained to pull back on the yoke......
A LOT of foreign carriers' right-seat guys are VERY low time/low experience types ... as such, they're not really 'trained' for jack, except straight & level. They are largely simulator-spawned-test-tube-baby-pilots.

But then, the foreign carriers who fly that way don't care; it's their bottom line that matters to the Nth degree. That's what you get for a monthly salary of $2k (or less) + a bag of rice.

The morale of the story: stay away from airlines that pay their pilots in rice.