• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USN Advancing Education While Active Duty

Skywalker

Student Naval Aviator
I'm presently getting my B.S. in mathematics, and while my immediate goal is to become an NA, my long term goal is to become an astronaut, which requires an M.S./M.S.E. in a STEM field.

What challenges are faced with getting that kind of education while active duty, assuming it's possible? Is there a kind of duty station (fleet squadron, IP, miscellaneous) best suited for such an endeavor? I realize that things could be different by the time I'm actually in a position to act, but in the mean time I'm trying to think ahead here.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
...my long term goal is to become an astronaut, which requires an M.S./M.S.E. in a STEM field.

Not a requirement. It definitely helps, but there have been astronauts selected without a post-grad degree.

A masters' isn't a bad idea though. You can go to grad school right after you get your BS (before you go to flight school), or you can work a distance learning program during your first shore tour. Those are the two most common options that I've seen to get a masters' degree prior to your first set of orders as an O-4. After that, there are still options to pursue a masters' degree, but it gets more complicated based on what track you find yourself.