• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Advanced Standing/Sideload Scholarships

cameron172

pilot
From our CO: According to his meeting in Pensacola, NETC will NOT be offering sideload scholarships for the college programmers already in the program and will most likely will not be approving Advanced Standing applicants for midshipmen expecting to graduate in 2013 or 2014.

I'm not sure about two year scholarships, but I know we did not receive any midshipmen on two year scholarships this year. So the basic mentality at our unit is that any freshman or sophomore mids not on a four year scholarship will not be able to commission through NROTC. Four year scholarships are getting far and few between as well.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
Not surprising considering the status of the manning in most communities right now and the general trend as we move forward is likely to be reduced manning.

USAF is over manned by about 2000 officers, the Marine Corps is looking at a large scale force reduction.

JhwK08

That's a bit scary to think about. Roughly 10% of the navy 4/c at my unit are on scholarship last I heard.

getswole0763

What the hell? I am a 4/C Marine Option college program. Hopefully this situation is only either A. isolated (i goto University of San Diego), B. Only for the Navy, or C. A passing ordeal that will straighten out. Either way, not good at all :/

Immy

The situation was the same last year as well. I don't think the Marines are giving out as many scholarships to college programmers as they were a few years ago, but they are giving out some. As Cameron alluded, there are no side-load scholarships for Navy college programmers. The PNS scholarship was the only scholarship available to college programmers. But, yes, also as Cameron said, the gist was that if you didn't pick up some kind of scholarship (the PNS), you weren't going to able to commission through NROTC because advanced standing was not being approved and 2 year scholarships were as non existent as 3 year side-load scholarships.

cameron172

pilot
What the hell? I am a 4/C Marine Option college program. Hopefully this situation is only either A. isolated (i goto University of San Diego), B. Only for the Navy, or C. A passing ordeal that will straighten out. Either way, not good at all :/

A) Nope, fairly certain that since this came from Pensacola that it is true for all NROTC units.

B) This was directed towards the Navy option mids, but I'd imagine the USMC sideload schoalrships are getting far and few between. I'd talk to your MOI.

C) Reduced manning has happpened in the past, especially in officer ascension programs, but it takes years to get better and we'll be long gone from ROTC (either commissioned or not) once it starts to pick up again.

getswole0763

A) Nope, fairly certain that since this came from Pensacola that it is true for all NROTC units.

B) This was directed towards the Navy option mids, but I'd imagine the USMC sideload schoalrships are getting far and few between. I'd talk to your MOI.

C) Reduced manning has happpened in the past, especially in officer ascension programs, but it takes years to get better and we'll be long gone from ROTC (either commissioned or not) once it starts to pick up again.
Interesting. Well I better start to apply for advanced standing/scholarship ASAP then. thanks for the information.

cameron172

pilot
UPDATE! From the director of Officer Development in Pensacola:

Sophomores (Year Group 2013): Zero side load scholarships for College Program midshipmen expecting to graduate in 2013. Although there are four "Language Skills, Regional Expertise, and Cultural Awareness (LREC) Program" scholarships nation wide.

Freshmen (Year Group 2014): Up to 36 side load scholarships for College Program midshipmen expecting to grauduate in 2014 and 24 LREC scholarships, both nationwide. Note that 85% of scholarships go to technical majors. So about 30 scholarships nationwide will be available for technical majors and 6 nationwide for non-tech.

gparks1989

pilot
Contributor
UPDATE! From the director of Officer Development in Pensacola:

Sophomores (Year Group 2013): Zero side load scholarships for College Program midshipmen expecting to graduate in 2013. Although there are four "Language Skills, Regional Expertise, and Cultural Awareness (LREC) Program" scholarships nation wide.

Freshmen (Year Group 2014): Up to 36 side load scholarships for College Program midshipmen expecting to grauduate in 2014 and 24 LREC scholarships, both nationwide. Note that 85% of scholarships go to technical majors. So about 30 scholarships nationwide will be available for technical majors and 6 nationwide for non-tech.

Any gouge on what the criteria are for LREC scholarships? Is it a 4,3,2 year type scholarship or set amount of money?

getswole0763

To clarify, do "side load" scholarships count as advance standing, or scholarships in itself? If not, does this mean that advance standing will still be attainable for MIDN graduating in 2014? Thanks.

cameron172

pilot
To clarify, do "side load" scholarships count as advance standing, or scholarships in itself? If not, does this mean that advance standing will still be attainable for MIDN graduating in 2014? Thanks.

The side load scholarship is the full schoarship in itself. Advanced standing is a whole seperate status/program. I would assume if they're offering side load scholarships to YG14, they'll be advanced standing approved. Not sure about YG13. They're never really sure until the time comes. Just keep the PT, grades, and evals up!

Will_T

Will_T
Any news here? I.e. when they're planning to release the names of those who received these scholarships?

Heidi Harting

My son just found out yesterday he was awarded the Marine Side Load. He is just finishing he Freshman year and he was told he was given only one of 14 scholarships for GY 2014! We are so proud, wish I could tell his dad but he is somewhere in A-stan!

Bossadai

Just got notified today that I got a 3-year scholarship! I was a College Programmer with a tier 3 major (International Studies), but am doing the LREC program (Arabic). Needless to say...I'm pretty excited! At least now I can commission without going to OCS!