• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Advanced Helo questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaiangel

I am about to start RI's in Primary and am planning on selecting helos. I know most of the options for selecting out of the HT's. But could someone give me the complete list that you choose from for your dream sheet. Also, what is the general trend of places people are going, like what percentage HS, HSL, HC, HM. And finally, any general comments about the HT's compared to VT's would be appreciated. Thanks.

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
Do a quick search, there is a lengthy post about the communities...

As far as what each selectio looks like... it is different every week.

HT v VT.... HT's the briefs are more in depth, but the flying is more teaching. I defenalty enjoy the HT's more!

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
HT's are already more fun in the first several FAM's than I had in all of Primary combined. I have yet to actually meet anyone who isnt enjoying it. The instructors are much more friendly. As long as you know your brief, the flight wont be a problem, they are very patient. I think auto's are some of the most fun ever.

Bevo16

pilot
HS-East (JAX)
HS-West 4 San Diego squadrons and HS-14 in Japan
HS squadrons fly the SH-60F and HH-60H. HS Squadrons deploy off of carriers and missions include Anti Surface Warfare, Anti Submarine Warfare, Naval Special Warfare Support (flying SEALS), and Combat Search and Rescue (CSAR) (going behind enemy lines with guns to pluck out a jet guy who had to punch out). There are only 4 HS billets each month, and is the hardest slot to get.

HC-San Diego (Sierra)
HC-Guam (Sierra)
HC-Norfolk(Sierra)
HC-Norfolk (H-3's, and soon to be Sierras)
Most HC squadrons have finished the transition to the Sierra, and the rest will be done soon. The HC mission is primarily vertrep, but they will be picking up some CSAR and NSW missions when they figure out how to put more gas on the bird. It does not have the legs for that mission right now. There are only 4 HC squadrons and they have the newest birds, so it is pretty tough to get.

HSL-Jax
HSL-San Diego
HSL-Japan
HSL are the LAMPS bird and fly the oldest 60's in the Navy, the Bravo model. Their primary mission is Anti-Sub warfare. HSL squadrons deploy in small detachments on tin cans. HSL is the easiest billet to get since there are more HSL squadrons than all other squdrons combined. I have never heard of someone who wanted to go HSL and not get it. If you know that you want to go to Japan, then HSL-51 will be happy to have you.

HM-Norfolk
HM-Corpus Christi
HM-Italy is still on the sheet but is no longer an option.
HM squadrons fly the MH-53 and they usually select one or two guys a month for these squadrons. Their missions are heavy lifting anti-mine warfare.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
One more that you forgot... HSL-37. It's in Hawaii. HSL's mission is changing, and is a bit more dynamic than explained. In the next couple of years, HSL will actually be on the carrier w/ the HS guys (and in fact, HSL-47 is already doing it). Even though the Bravo is for ASW, it's primary role nowadays is SSC, bascially driving around w/ the radar on and IDing things on FLIR while the E-2 dudes are sleeping. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.