• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Adult braces

Wingnut

Kill your television
I've kicked this thought around now and then for a year or so, and I'm hoping someone here might have some info. First a little background. I'm a winged NA in Jax for the P-3 FRS and will be headed to my squadron in Feb. I never got braces as a kid, my parents couldn't justify the cost with five of us. So, my teeth are crooked; fortunately nothing crazy, none turned sideways or that sort of thing. They may be getting a little worse though. Anyway, I'm considering a consultation with an orthodontist, especially since technology has made braces sans a tin grin possible. I'm guessing a flight surgeon has to sign off on it, it's cosmetic so I'll be paying out of pocket, and of course it'll have to be worked in around my being away from the orthodontist for months at a time. I suppose there's the possibility that they'll want surgery, which would make it a very different ball game, unless it's just removing my wisdom teeth. Regarding that, nobody said a word at my OCS physical, one Navy dentist in Corpus said he didn't see any reason to have them out, and another said he'd prefer to have them out. They're still there.

So, without drawing this out any more, does anyone know what kind of hurdles I'm likely to jump through for this? Anyone with actual experiences (first or secondhand)? I don't see any big reasons why I'd be turned down, although the world of Navy medicine doesn't always see things my way. Any insight is appreciated.

Lobster

I could be wrong but I know my Dad had to wait until he retired to get braces, I don't think you're allowed to fly with them, I don't know if invisalign is a different story or not because you can take them out. I'm sure someone will have better gouge than be but that's just what I know

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Long story short:

I wanted braces for purely cosmetic reasons when I was in my first Fleet squadron. I was nice/friendly with the Navy dentist. She was willing to sign off on "the extent to which braces are warranted" (I guess Doc's are granted some discretion in this). HOWEVER, I was slated to go to an area where there would be no dental professionals available for whatever the hell happens with braces (tightening?). So she signed off on veneers. 3 months later: hollywood teeth.

(But as I tell everyone, veneers are not worth the hassle. Get braces if you can. Invisalign may also be an option. ASK.)

edit: I want to clarify, by "discretion," I mean the Nav was going to pay for braces, and has paid every penny for my porcelein veneers (which have all been replaced with crowns).

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've kicked this thought around now and then for a year or so, and I'm hoping someone here might have some info. First a little background. I'm a winged NA in Jax for the P-3 FRS and will be headed to my squadron in Feb. I never got braces as a kid, my parents couldn't justify the cost with five of us. So, my teeth are crooked; fortunately nothing crazy, none turned sideways or that sort of thing. They may be getting a little worse though. Anyway, I'm considering a consultation with an orthodontist, especially since technology has made braces sans a tin grin possible. I'm guessing a flight surgeon has to sign off on it, it's cosmetic so I'll be paying out of pocket, and of course it'll have to be worked in around my being away from the orthodontist for months at a time. I suppose there's the possibility that they'll want surgery, which would make it a very different ball game, unless it's just removing my wisdom teeth. Regarding that, nobody said a word at my OCS physical, one Navy dentist in Corpus said he didn't see any reason to have them out, and another said he'd prefer to have them out. They're still there.

So, without drawing this out any more, does anyone know what kind of hurdles I'm likely to jump through for this? Anyone with actual experiences (first or secondhand)? I don't see any big reasons why I'd be turned down, although the world of Navy medicine doesn't always see things my way. Any insight is appreciated.

Guy in my squadron has them, flys Prowlers, is deployed, etc. You're right about having to do it on your own dime, and they can't adjust/tighten them while you're deployed. This is something that's normally done every 4-8 weeks, so it could add to the total time you have to wear them. The guy in my squadron said they do an adjustment right before cruise, then they're OK being left alone for cruise, thenm they'll get back on the regular adjustment schedule upon return. Obviously surgery would complicate things and your command probably isn't going to want you to be med down for an extended period for an elective procedure, but overall, braces shouldn't be a problem.

Brett

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
One of the phrog guys on the MEU had Invisalign things. He had to pay out of his own pocket for those, and they were not technically authorized, as the Doc knew nothing about them. He said that they were doing the trick, despite being stupid expensive.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Actually, the Navy will pay for them, they paid for mine. If your teeth are so messed up it can actually be considered a health issue and not just cosmetic and you can be pushed to the front of the line. If they aren't that bad, then the docs can do it if they can fit you in. Not every base has an orthodontist though. Plus, I don't think they do invisalign, although it's been awhile since I had mine so they might now.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Navy can and will do it. Happens for a lot of mids at USNA.

Navy covered mine. I had a bad bite on one side. As I was on shore duty for 3 years, I got a consult from a navy orthodontist. The consult indicated they were needed for other than cosmetic reasons. So they agreed to do it.

Navy paid.

Wife had invisalign to help align her teeth better. No navy help there, I paid.

I had to have them off before going to sea/overseas duty.

Cobra Commander

Awesome Bill from Dawsonville
pilot
If you do get braces, seriously consider getting metal ones. I've had invisalign and it works well, but I had metal ones afterward for about a year and they did a much better job. It's not a big deal if you can't see your orthodontist very often if you have metal braces. They just put a heavier wire on when you go in and you're set for a while. Of course that makes your teeth hurt really badly, but it's definitly worth having nice teeth.

Rubiks06

pilot
Wait until your first shore tour

My two cents. I had them while i was at the Academy. Navy paid for them. There is a gentlemen in my squadron now that has them and is flying with them. He is paying for them out of his pocket, but didnt seem to be an issue. My suggestion is you've waited this long, wait till your first shore tour. That way your not sitting with them on your teeth for six months or longer while you are on deployment. Not to mention if you break a bracket or pop the wire off you could be a hurting unit if you cant get it fixed right away.

Wingnut

Kill your television
I see several mentions of Invisalign, which was exactly what I had mind. Cobra Commander, I am curious what the difference you saw between metal braces and Invisalign was. If it's a matter of taking longer, that's not too big a deal, but if they can't get as good results, that's different. Invisalign does seem like the option I'd prefer if the Navy won't cover. The extra cost isn't an issue, and it seems like it would be easier to work around on deployment. As I understand it, they make several progressive sets on each visit, so I'd be good for a couple months. Of course, if it's between standard braces from the Navy or having to pay my own money for Invisalign, that's not a hard choice.
So, I'm probably going to look into it next month. I understand the sentiment of not doing it during the sea tour, but if I'm going to do it, I feel like I might as well get it out of the way. Hopefully they get me finished up here with some time to spare, then even if they have to do more than just pop them on I've got time for it without upsetting anyone's schedule. I don't know if there are any lurking issues with my teeth, I've never had problems beyond the occasional cavity. Whether or not there's anything to be fixed, it sounds like my squadron isn't going to mind if I show up with braces as long as everything's checked out - that's what I was hoping to hear.
Anyway, thanks for all the input; there's just nothing like Airwarriors for this kind of question.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
I had braces. My Fiance got invisalign. My advice: invisalign the shit out of your teeth. Braces were a hassle, tore my mouth up, gave me a crazy lisp, and hurt like a bitch everytime they would throw a chain on, crank the appliance, or put a new wire in. Popping a wire or a rubber band in the middle of Djibouti is not something I'd wanna deal with for x number of months on deployment. Invisalign is something that will probably take longer, but you can get straight teeth without the pain and hassle of having to see a doc every 6 weeks. I think they might even be able to gin you up a set or two in advance, since they come up with a game plan for your teeth and are able to chart your progression, so it might be worth it if you plan on doing this while you may be deployed. Pop out the old invisaligns on the day you're supposed to change over, put the new ones in. No ortho appt necessary, AFAIK.

Either way, talk to a doc and get some mo knowledges. I will say this though, straight teeth are the way to go. Having a jacked up mouth sucked when I was a kid. Wear your retainers, too. I still have straight teeth, one just has some "character" since I chucked a retainer into the garbage bin for the last time my junior year of HS and didn't look back.

Edit: My fiancee had her invisalign for 2 years. I had my braces for 3.5. I think it's an individual thing as to how jacked up the teeth are.

submarinerssbn

the biggest thing for you is that going on deployments will cause the amount of time for them to be on to be longer. fewer adjustments while on deployment will slow it down. i just got mine off, but i waited to get them until shore duty so i got mine tightend once a month and had to have a S.A.R.P.E. done because my upper jaw was too narrow for my bite to be correct.... god help you if you have to do that, but the navy will do that for you so if you need it don't worry about it. i'd recommend getting them the sooner they get on the better instead of waiting like i did... the amount even over a longer period of time is still pretty much the same cost. i'm me if you want to know what the S.A.R.P.E. entails etc. but all in all it was the best 5,000$ i ever spent. a strait smile and easy flossing is worth it, and in the long run you will have better dental hygene because of it.

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
regarding invisalign, I was looking into it, what you run into is they make you 6 weeks worth at a time, you wear each set for 2 weeks and then go back to the orthodontist to make sure everything is OK and get your next 3 sets. The retainers loose their elasticity after a few weeks and become useless. I'd imagine they'd be a hassle on deployment because you can't get new ones without consult.

Cobra Commander

Awesome Bill from Dawsonville
pilot
regarding invisalign, I was looking into it, what you run into is they make you 6 weeks worth at a time, you wear each set for 2 weeks and then go back to the orthodontist to make sure everything is OK and get your next 3 sets. The retainers loose their elasticity after a few weeks and become useless. I'd imagine they'd be a hassle on deployment because you can't get new ones without consult.

That's not quite right. When you get invisalign they take impressions of your teeth like they would for normal braces. They send the impressions to invisalign who makes all of your trays (which are numbered) at once and ships them back to the orthodontist. The orthodontist glues two little nubs on your back teeth which attaches the trays to your teeth. When you go in, the orthodontist will give you 6 weeks worth of trays. You usually wear each set for 2 weeks and you can take them out whenever you want. If you wanted to, your orthodontist could give you a whole bunch of trays that would last you the entire deployment. You would just put the next one in when you were ready. Just don't loose any of the them or you're screwed.

Invisalign should work out pretty well since the orthodontists doesn't do anything besides glue the nubs on your teeth. Plus they're only $400ish more than regular braces. They can only do so much though. After I had them, my teeth were straight but when I clenched my teeth they didn't fit together (perfectly) like they should have. If you do get invisalign and have minor issues afterward, some orthodontists will put regular braces on after the invisalign for free (mine did) if its in their contract. The orthodontist will hate your for this but they're way overpaid anyway. Regular braces suck, but you'll only have them for a little while and your teeth will be perfect afterward.

If you have any other questions let me know.