• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ADS-B in Navy / Marine Aircraft?

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
Of course if you blow through Hong Kong's approach/departure corridors and get scolded by a female air traffic controller with the sexiest British-Chinese accented English, then all's good.

Alright, you can't throw that out there and not tell the story :D

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
This is disturbing from a counterintelligence perspective. Case in point, the SOF op in Libya that was compromised this week: http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/dec/17/secret-us-mission-in-libya-" revealed-after-air-force-posted-pictures

AF Ravens can only do so much perimeter security in 3rd world countries. If terror groups know the tail number, airstrip,orp and timing - there is no stopping them.
This is exactly the aircraft in the original post of this thread. AFSOC Dornier flown under the auspices of "Sierra Nevada Corp" which everyone and their brother knows is SOCOM airlines

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Alright, you can't throw that out there and not tell the story :D

Not too much more to tell, let's just say some AC's were better than others in decision making and it is probably not a good idea to wander through busy international air corridors as an 'unknown rider' even if you are operating 'due regard'. Legal? Sure. Smart? Maybe not. That, and the controller who yelled at us that day could have made a very good living as a 1-900 operator (do they even exist anymore?) back in the day if someone called up looking to get scolded for being a bad boy. Very proper British English with a slight Chinese accent, unique and strangely appealing in the middle of a 10.5 hour BOREX.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I really don't see the big deal here. SF isn't some secret squirrel organization. One of their prime missions is to assist (albeit quietly) the local <insert group> fighters in becoming more effective in <insert country>. And if successful, the U.S. likes to publicize it. A really good contemporary read is Lions of Kandahar.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
This is exactly the aircraft in the original post of this thread. AFSOC Dornier flown under the auspices of "Sierra Nevada Corp" which everyone and their brother knows is SOCOM airlines
Umm... so obviously it's time for a new shell company name

Vidofnir

Fly Delta Jets
pilot
The P-3s with TCAS (Spiral V?) can occasionally get ADS-B data. I'm not sure why it only happens every now and again. We usually get the red ADS-B flag with TCAS operating. Also, Mode S is required for TCAS to work so that's sweet. (Not.)

Of course if you blow through Hong Kong's approach/departure corridors and get scolded by a female air traffic controller with the sexiest British-Chinese accented English, then all's good.
I'll squawk IDENT for her any time. ;)

jbuck387

Gene Police: You!! Out Of The Pool!
pilot
The P-3s with TCAS (Spiral V?) can occasionally get ADS-B data. I'm not sure why it only happens every now and again. We usually get the red ADS-B flag with TCAS operating. Also, Mode S is required for TCAS to work so that's sweet. (Not.)

I'll squawk IDENT for her any time. ;)

We have 2 TCAS planes that are TCAS and fully ADS-B capable. It's pretty awesome to see in action, my understanding is the ADS-B flags we get in the P-3 are a software block for ADS-B.