• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Admiral "reassigned"

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
Grammar(s) is important. Just ask the Master Chief that I know who likes to sit outside the NEX correcting flight suit "errors."

"Master Chief, it doesn't actually say that...."

"They put out a correction in the NEW message, sir."

"Ugh. Enjoy your Rubios."

Perspective. Something I strive for...and something I wish others had.

Gator,
Call the Master Chief on it.
Ask him to stop by your office at a given time and to bring the instruction with him/her so you can discuss it.

If the Master Chief is serious he'll/she'll take you up on the offer. If they are trying to be a pain in the ass, then you have them.
RHIP sometimes!

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Gator,
Call the Master Chief on it.
Ask him to stop by your office at a given time and to bring the instruction with him/her so you can discuss it.

If the Master Chief is serious he'll/she'll take you up on the offer. If they are trying to be a pain in the ass, then you have them.
RHIP sometimes!

It was handled on the spot (I actually ended up eating lunch with him for a bit). He wasn't in my business, he was just generally enforcing the rules for the E's outside. The problem is the wording of the instruction (as has been discussed here in another thread) and the lack of understanding where it was coming from. There's a little more to it that I'd be happy to share over a beer, but it's been covered enough here without getting into profiling the guy, if you know what I mean.

hscs

pilot
And Gen Ward got sh*tcanned for grievously over-spending & gun-decking his expense reports that got him an early retirement & reduction in grade, I believe.
Actually, now MG Ward is still awaiting retirement, pending investigation results. O-9/10 are 'temporary' grades that go with designated billets. An O-9/10 leaving one billet and going to the next has 60 days to get to the next O-9/10 billet or he/she reverts back to an O-8. His rank was reduced 61 days after leaving as CDR, USAFRICOM.

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
Actually, now MG Ward is still awaiting retirement, pending investigation results. O-9/10 are 'temporary' grades that go with designated billets. An O-9/10 leaving one billet and going to the next has 60 days to get to the next O-9/10 billet or he/she reverts back to an O-8. His rank was reduced 61 days after leaving as CDR, USAFRICOM.

I stand corrected. Didn't intend to mislead anyone.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hey BzB, don't shoot the fucking messenger... unless you think hscs was dumb for posting what the policy is. I doubt that was your intent.

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
As I said before, the Navy (IMHO) has had it "fuzziest". Honestly, we just haven't had too much by way of "truly hard times" in our domain...for a long time. Good for us...I frankly hope that doesn't change anytime soon. But absent near-peer competition in our domain, we've become "capability providers" to support others who have it harder (on the ground, usually, but often to the JFACC). We're tasked to provide, we provide...and no shame in that. Wardroom food's good (by and large)...etc.
I would argue that IA service (the in theater, outside the wire (or at least outside the JOC) kind) presents the perfect opportunity to identify and cultivate real Naval leaders right now. Unfortunately, the reality has been to protect the "annointed" from having to dirty their career path with this square peg that doesn't fit into a NPC round hole.

Renegade One

None
I would argue that IA service (the in theater, outside the wire (or at least outside the JOC) kind) presents the perfect opportunity to identify and cultivate real Naval leaders right now. Unfortunately, the reality has been to protect the "annointed" from having to dirty their career path with this square peg that doesn't fit into a NPC round hole.
I didn't even consider the whole IA thing...foreign to my experience. But I expect you're right...on both counts.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor

Scoob, while I agree with your thought, if you were the CO and you had to send someone away for a year (to do God knows what) would you send your top JO or a mouth breather?

KBayDog

Scoob, while I agree with your thought, if you were the CO and you had to send someone away for a year (to do God knows what) would you send your top JO or a mouth breather?

Which helps prove the fallacy of IAs being career-enhancing.

While the boards may get a directive to look at IAs as a positive thing, the fact of the matter is that they are an easy, RISK-FREE way for a commander to cull the herd. Thus, a well-intentioned Marine/Sailor who volunteers for a "good deal" IA becomes associated with the mouth-breathers you referenced. To a man, every JO Aviator I've seen go on an IA (either volunteered or voluntold) has had to try and play catch-up with his peers who did not lose a year + of their flying careers.

While it's relatively early to see if IAs are indeed a "positive" thing for a long-term career, I don't need a crystal ball to see how the command screening results for two otherwise identical candidates - the only exceptions being one stayed in the fight as a JO, and one went on an IA as a JO - are going to turn out.

BigRed389

None

GSA lets people go if they want to, at a time of their choosing with no impact to operational commands.

That said, all the billets I had available had words like "Post Office", "Water Treatment", or "Powerpoint Bitch."
But in all fairness, I would also bet Big Navy doesn't want to send our people outside the wire.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
One one hand, IAs are supposedly a top priority, send "great people" to do "very vital" work during a "critical"* time in the nation's history, etc. etc. On the other hand, there certainly have been a lot of "mouth breathers" sent away to do "God knows what."**

Most cases fall between the extremes and there are plenty of IAs that really do make a difference. Nonetheless, there is still a gap between reality and all the glad-handing, patriotic talk about how important it is to fill those billets. :rolleyes:

* not my words; these are the words of guys wearing stars on their collars ;)

** not my words either, but we've all seen it happen

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor

That'd be a totally different question if precepts weren't just paying lip service to the notion that an IA is career enhancing. What if we lived in a world where a Naval officer was required to fight closer to the front and gain real joint/interagency/coalition experience as a prerequisite to advancement, rather than never leaving the cockpit, except maybe to study what the joint environment is from a bar in Newport?

That'd be crazy.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I don't think I've ever heard of IAs being billed as anything other than career neutral, nor have I seen anything giving preference to IAs on a board precept. Are other communities being told otherwise?