• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Admiral McRaven on bin Laden raid

MasterBates

dogs-and-cats-living-together.png

exNavyOffRec

It is interesting that Admiral Olson who was in charge of USSOCOM at the time of the OBL raid remained quiet on the whole thing, of course he did retire several months later.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
This was the high point to me... (not to discredit what the Admiral said WRT OPSEC etc...)

McRaven also talked about the problem of suicides for veterans and touched on the stresses of serving multiple tours of war.
"We were clearly fraying a year ago, I think that fraying is getting worse," he said.

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
ADM McRaven spoke at NPS a month ago. He was one of only a few good speakers. He had an especially good comment about "taking care of your people" meaning being a disciplined officer - as opposed to (s)mothering your sailors.

Stearmann4

I'm here for the Jeeehawd!
None
ADM McRaven was my C.O. at SEAL Team ONE...a very long time a go. He the definitive straight shooter, and is exactly the same man and leader now as he was then. He speaks the hard truth (as did GEN McCrystal), problem is I don't if anyone is listening.

MR-

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
Had chow with him in a DFAC in the 'Stan. He just rolled up solo, plopped down and made light conversation. Seemed like good guy, especially since he opted to sit near some filthy aviators.

Renegade One

None
Somewhere in a cave in Afghanistan some Taliban commander is doing a facepalm and wondering "how can we be losing to these people"???
I wonder...
"Those people" will be leaving well before the Taliban does. It's their country, after all. I'm sure we will depart feeling that "we did the best we could". Some nations (or whatever) just can't be fixed. Nothing wrong with trying, of course, and then just letting them all get on with the poppy harvest.
Someone will try this again within our lifetimes. Hope to hell it isn't us. Some sinking ships just can't be saved. There comes a time when every good Captain understands that his near responsibility is to save as many of the crew as he can.

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
Nation-building in the Mideast/Muslim world is a contradiction in terms. We should have declared victory & left Afghanistan 6 weeks after the wiped out the Taliban government there in 2002. They would have come back like termites to wood, but we would have saved several hundred billion $$ and thousands of American lives. Kabul, in the entire history of Afghanistan, has never unified this "nation" of warring tribes, and it ain't gonna happen now. JMHO.

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
Concur, we should have pulled out long ago...especially considering where Karzai's true loyalties lie. Michael Yon as always has a great assessment of the situation, I'll have to see if I can find it to post.

FlyinRock

Have you ever seen anyone with the Navy marksmanship badge? I Cant say I've ever heard of that those before, but it would definitely be some cool bling to wear.
One of the young naval officers I flew with in IFS won a gold "leg" medal in the Navy Fleet matches with pistol. I knew and competed with his father years back. Yes its nice looking bling and I am damned proud of mine.
Semper Fi
Rocky - Distinguished Pistol, Presidents 100 Pistol, 2600 club

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Pseudo on topic, we should leave the morale singing and dancing videos to mids during army/navy.

???Is this a joke... or some kind of criticism???:confused:
*With 6 total posts & a locked profile, not much cred...
BzB

Pugs

Back from the range
None
???Is this a joke... or some kind of criticism???:confused:
*With 6 total posts & a locked profile, not much cred...
BzB

Concur. First time I've seen that. Note to the newby. Being declared an unknown rider here isn't in your positive column.