• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ADM James Stavridis nominated for new NATO commander

spinspilot

Anyone in the Jax area attend a lecture he gave earlier in the year at UNF? He spoke about the relationships between the U.S. and its southern neighbors. Well spoken and interesting to listen to.

2sr2worry

Naval Aviation=world's greatest team sport
"...promoted to Admiral..."

Admiral Stavridis is already a 4-star. That's why the press release says "reappointment."

Flag officers promote via the selection board process to the rank of RDML and RADM. Flag officers are "nominated for appointment" to the ranks of VADM and ADM. The nomination has to include both a rank and a specific assignment, i.e. COMTHIRDFLT, NAVAIR, etc.

Admiral Stavridis' latest book, "Destroyer Captain," is good reading for those folks that are pondering making the Navy a career. He captures the special meaning of "command at sea" quite well. Plus, he's one of the most professional and pleasant officers you could ever meet--a true servant leader.

Reactions: das

burningfeathers

Reading the grout jokes
Stavridis spoke at my graduation from USMMA. He spoke for only 7 minutes and I think it was probably the best of the 3 graduation speeches I sat through.
He spoke about how you "never know" where your career was going to take you or how you would get there. Four months later I'm sitting in the NOMI building getting NPQ'd for aviator and I realized just how right he was.
It was good speech, his words will always stick with me.

Carlos Caliente

None
He was our one-star on my cruise on the Big E back in '04. I think he added one star per year after that. Do they get to promote themselves willy-nily? Anyways, very engaging fellow who had my confidence.

HuggyU2

None
When I was running a Det at Key West in support of SOUTHCOM last year, he came by for 10 minutes and spoke with all of us. Very positive experience, inasmuch as 10 minutes can be. The SOUTHCOM guys I spoke to in private all had great things to say about him, and his abilities.

H20man

Drill baby drill!
The "You never know" speech was excellent. My dad went to SWOS with him and crossed career paths down the road a few times, and had nothing but good things to say about Admiral Stavridis.