• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ADHD, Meds, & Military Service

FloridaDad

The number of kids that are put on ADHD meds that don't need to be in pretty surprising as well. There are several kids whose parents I know just had to go to the doc and say their kid has trouble doing homework and boom, pills are flying. I know a few psych docs who have told me we are over medicating kids and not doing right by them.
Honestly it's stuff like this that makes me nervous about my kids being diagnosed with anything even though my 2 year old clearly has a speech delay. I don't want them to be told years later that they can't serve when in reality they'd do fine. I'm not going to let that stop me from getting my kids help to be clear.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Lots of ways to help your kids too; tough decisions for parents choosing which way though.
I fought hard against medicating my youngest who was more of a smart ass than a trouble child. We never did it although his teachers called for it but now that has made it through college (well, at the end of the spring semester) it turns out I was right…he is a smart ass, he just learned to control it.

exNavyOffRec

I fought hard against medicating my youngest who was more of a smart ass than a trouble child. We never did it although his teachers called for it but now that has made it through college (well, at the end of the spring semester) it turns out I was right…he is a smart ass, he just learned to control it.
There was a teacher that worked with a friend of mine, every kid who wouldn't listen in class she would tell the parents the kid probably had ADHD, many would go to the doc and get put on meds. I wonder if she was getting kickbacks from the pharmaceutical companies.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
I imagine that rule will change soon. I think close to 60% of the kids I coached last summer were on ADHD meds. Recruiting is going to be tough in a world where parents actively seek that diagnosis.
Happened to see this in the news today:

For example, in the past ailments like asthma and ADHD could disqualify someone from serving if the recruit had symptoms after their 13th or 14th birthdays. But now the Pentagon is reviewing whether individuals who have been asymptomatic for a shorter period of time could join without a waiver.

Just how bad are the recruiting numbers this year?

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Not sure about ADHD, but I know several people who had pretty significant childhood asthma who are completely normally functioning now as adults. As in they haven't had an asthma attack or needed meds in 20+ years. Perhaps they are onto something, clinically speaking?

exNavyOffRec

For example, in the past ailments like asthma and ADHD could disqualify someone from serving if the recruit had symptoms after their 13th or 14th birthdays. But now the Pentagon is reviewing whether individuals who have been asymptomatic for a shorter period of time could join without a waiver.

Per the article the USN and USMC aren't that bad, the others are having a tough time. I was surprised at the USCG and USAF being so far behind but they really never went out and actively recruited so I shouldn't be surprised.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again

Navy recruiting updated asthma medical standards (i.e. reviewing asthma cases past 13/14 years of age) a few years back.

This isn’t a new change really…

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
LOL . . . OK, whatever. I'm going on 19 years in and O-5 with a childhood diagnosis of inattentive ADHD. All I needed to be back in the day was off meds in high school when I joined up, and NAMI waived me. It is a thing, but in my personal experience, it doesn't necessarily have to be a deal breaker for service, so drop the snark. Maybe the more severe cases are a problem, but not all.

The biggest problem folks will find in the cockpit is that "inattentive" is a misnomer. What actually happens is "channelized attention." Think tuning the presets on a radio. Your brain wants to hyper-focus on one thing at a time, and it takes mental effort to train yourself to keep your scan moving, so to speak. But it's doable. I've also read some stuff online, but never heard from a doc, that it also may correlate with folks whose emotions tend to hit them harder for good and bad. Not necessarily pathologically, but enough that the highs are higher, and the lows kick you in the nuts even more. Which you get plenty of both on cruise, but again. Know thyself and know thy enemy, and you need not fear a hundred battles.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
There was a teacher that worked with a friend of mine, every kid who wouldn't listen in class she would tell the parents the kid probably had ADHD, many would go to the doc and get put on meds. I wonder if she was getting kickbacks from the pharmaceutical companies.
That’s super messed up. She sounds like a real winner. Good reminder to always do your own research and don’t place blind faith in “experts.”

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
LOL . . . OK, whatever. I'm going on 19 years in and O-5 with a childhood diagnosis of inattentive ADHD. All I needed to be back in the day was off meds in high school when I joined up, and NAMI waived me. It is a thing, but in my personal experience, it doesn't necessarily have to be a deal breaker for service, so drop the snark. Maybe the more severe cases are a problem, but not all.

The biggest problem folks will find in the cockpit is that "inattentive" is a misnomer. What actually happens is "channelized attention." Think tuning the presets on a radio. Your brain wants to hyper-focus on one thing at a time, and it takes mental effort to train yourself to keep your scan moving, so to speak. But it's doable. I've also read some stuff online, but never heard from a doc, that it also may correlate with folks whose emotions tend to hit them harder for good and bad. Not necessarily pathologically, but enough that the highs are higher, and the lows kick you in the nuts even more. Which you get plenty of both on cruise, but again. Know thyself and know thy enemy, and you need not fear a hundred battles.
Thanks for the heads-up - just re-read my post and I did not delineate between those 2 thoughts.

One, that perhaps too many people were diagnosed (over-diagnosed?) with issues that should not prevent military service. Two (the main focus), are the recruiting numbers this year substantially worse than in previous years?

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor

I reread the article and the part about a criminal record jumped out at me. I remember kids in my boot camp class that were sent there by the courts and you could probably hear the police sirens that chased my brother into a recruiting office! My guess is that most were able to right their lives in the service but then again, I have always hated the zero-defect mentality that came up in the late 80’s.