• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ADHD and USMC Aviation

mwills71

Hello. I'm a high school student with ADHD and I take daily meds. I heard from one of my friends who is also going (USMC) in that you cannot be on meds and or be diagnosed with ADHD. He's going to infantry where as I'm shooting for Aviation. I was wondering if there is some kind of process that I would have to go through in order to get the job I want to do even with said issue. Are there waivers? Do I have to drop the meds?

Any kind of info helps. I'm hoping I can get a waiver but I hear that they're rarely given out. Aviation has been a dream that I've had since I was a wee lad but if I cant do it then it oh well. Wouldn't be the first time a dream's been crushed.

Like I said, any kind of info helps.

Thanks for taking the time to read this if you did : )

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
The rules for enlisting are roughly as follows:

1. No meds for last two years.
2. Not eligible if recommended or prescribed an IEP or 504 Plan, or work accommodations after age 14
3. Has a history of comorbid mental disorders
4. Has documentation of adverse academic, occupational, or work performance.

Please note this is for enlisted service. For officers the bar is higher.

mwills71

The rules for enlisting are roughly as follows:

1. No meds for last two years.
2. Not eligible if recommended or prescribed an IEP or 504 Plan, or work accommodations after age 14
3. Has a history of comorbid mental disorders
4. Has documentation of adverse academic, occupational, or work performance.

Please note this is for enlisted service. For officers the bar is higher.
1. for last 2 years of high school or 2 years prior to joining?
2. which meaning of "Adverse"?

also thank you

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
1. for last 2 years of high school or 2 years prior to joining?
2. which meaning of "Adverse"?

also thank you
1. Two years before you enlist (or join).
2. “Adverse” means you have been kept back a grade or fired from a job because of your ADHD.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Hello. I'm a high school student with ADHD and I take daily meds. I heard from one of my friends who is also going (USMC) in that you cannot be on meds and or be diagnosed with ADHD. He's going to infantry where as I'm shooting for Aviation. I was wondering if there is some kind of process that I would have to go through in order to get the job I want to do even with said issue. Are there waivers? Do I have to drop the meds?

Any kind of info helps. I'm hoping I can get a waiver but I hear that they're rarely given out. Aviation has been a dream that I've had since I was a wee lad but if I cant do it then it oh well. Wouldn't be the first time a dream's been crushed.

Like I said, any kind of info helps.

Thanks for taking the time to read this if you did : )

You need to be fully clear and off meds for at least a year. The more lengthier you’re clear and off meds (beyond a year) the better the waiver odds.

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
Good luck, and remember you can get more accurate and up to date answers from a recruiter. They’ll gladly talk to you.

mwills71

Good luck, and remember you can get more accurate and up to date answers from a recruiter. They’ll gladly talk to you.
Just Dm'ed my brothers recruiter to see if i can talk to him or an Officer Recruiter. The luck is most certainly needed and appreciated. Thank you!