• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

addressing officers in email

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Probably more appropriate. Bogey, who the hell puts their degree in their signature??? Tool. Doubly so because it has nothing to do with the subject at hand...military courtesy. You probably put US Navy as your "company" for UPS deliverys too...:D

If you didn't catch the sarcasm and obvious arrogance of my post....well...then I weep for the future of the warpig community... ;)

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I can't remember where that is written but I have always been told to use your exact rank so you don't promote yourself. i.e. Calling yourself CDR when you are a LCDR. Someone else can can verbally promote you, i.e. LT vice LTJG, etc. but I don't know where it is written.

As stash SDO at a training squadron, they were flakes about Marine lts not answering the phone as "lieutenant X," even if they were first lieutenants. Apparently possibility of the Marine O-1/2 lieutenants being confused with Navy O-3 lieutenants was just too much. After answering the phone as,"VT-6 SDO lieutenant X," one of me peers told me,"You'll get in TROUBLE (ooh) answering the phone like that!" Then it became, "VT-6 SDO lieutenant X, MARINES..."

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
When I was a Lt. in flight school I just let it ride. I answered the phone "Lt. Harrier Dude". If they didn't like it/get it......they could get bent.

Then again I did get phone watch for a week for "answering the phone wrong", but that wasn't why. Some chickenshit Marine IP got bent out of shape because I said "Phone watch" instead of "Good everning, VT-27 Phone Watch, Lt Harrier Dude speaking, how may I help you sir or ma'am".

This was before e-mailing the flight schedule out was possible and you had to call in to get your schedule for the next day. The phone literally rang off the hook between 1600-2000 and there wasn't a 5 second gap between phone calls. It just seemed quicker and more efficient my way. 99 times out of a 100 it was some SNA like me just wanting to know what he was doing the next day.