• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Adderall...

Slob91

So my freshman year in college, I went to the doctor because I had problems studying (looking back it honestly was just me being lazy, but I've buckled up since then), and got prescribed adderall. I took it for a semester and I've been off it since. I was told you have to be off it for a year before you start NROTC, and that's fine. But in all honesty do I still have a good chance of getting SNA?

Im an aerospace engineering major with a 3.0 gpa.

KCOTT

remember to pillage before you burn
pilot
A guy in my unit was actually disenrolled because he popped positive for adderall on a drug test and wasn't prescribed it. Don't know how it works if you're prescribed. Either way, try to get off it. I highly doubt they want someone flying an airplane that uses it.

Slob91

yeah I haven't used it in about 9 months and my focus in school is better than ever so I don't need it at all.

GreenLantern330

yeah I haven't used it in about 9 months and my focus in school is better than ever so I don't need it at all.

I used to be on a different medication for ADD for about 7 years. Spoke to my OR last year, he told me I'd need to speak with my doctor about getting off the medication. After being off it for a year you have to go back to the doctor that prescribed it (or any other psychiatrist) and have them re-evaluate you and obtain a "bill of clean health" or so to speak. That'll get you the waiver you need not just for SNA to be in the military in general. Without that waiver, you can't even apply for OCS. I've been off mine ~8 months so not as long as you, but am seeing the same results as you, but still have to wait for this semester to finish before I can go back to my doctor and get the needed documentation for a waiver. Even though I have to wait an entire year before I can submit my application, my OR is aware of my situation and is allowing me to take the ASTB and begin the application from now knowing all the work required. I know it's slightly different from your situation since I'm applying for OCS and you're looking into NROTC, but I just thought I'd share with you what my OR told me.

Also, this question has been asked and answered in the past. Use the search function to read up on other people's stories concerning ADD waivers. Everyone else had to go through the same process. Same for other branches as well. And I know there are a few winged aviators on here that have the waiver for ADD treatments. So, do you still have a good chance? As far as the Adderall goes, as long as you can get a waiver, yes! Now your chances of getting selected on the other hand... no one can answer that. Best of luck though!

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
I'm going to blow a fvcking gasket if I read another "What are my chances" post.

To the OP and everyone else that wants to ask "What are my chances", the answer is ZERO if you don't apply. So if you want to be a Naval Aviator, stop worrying about your chances. Its a waste of fvcking energy. Instead, ask an intelligent question, call the recruiter, get the paperwork and apply. One of two things will happen: You'll get accepted or you won't. End of story. No one on this forum knows your chances of picking up a SNA or SNFO slot. And we never will. It's all subject to the "Needs of the Navy".

SO to the OP, just fvcking put in the paperwork. You'll either get it or you won't. Simple as that.

/rant

Slob91

I'm asking for the opinions of other people, all I find out from the recruiter is that I need a waiver after a year of being off it. Im just trying to find an honest answer here from experienced guys of how you think this situation will affect me. Is that not what this forum is for??? I like to research something and know everything about it before I commit to it. Obviously the answer is zero if I dont apply, Im not stupid. Im simply trying to see if anyone here has had a personal experience with something like this. Sorry to piss you off, but seriously dude chill the "fvck" out.

SWACQ

pilot
Contributor
Sorry to piss you off, but seriously dude chill the "fvck" out.

If you are pursuing a career in the military, particularly as an officer, you'll quickly learn what language is appropriate when speaking with others. I'm sure one of the principles will be along shortly with a paddle.

Im not stupid.

That remains to be seen. Didn't have a problem with the original post, but I'm not impressed with your reply to Bubba. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Bad Move!

Sorry to piss you off, but seriously dude chill the "fvck" out.

Slob, when you tell a Winged Member to "chill the fvck out", you're not gonna get much help here, just sayin'? :icon_smil
BzB

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
@ Slob:

Excuse the language. The point to be had was that no one knows what your chances are, and neither will you until you apply. Yes, there are certain factors that can reduce your chances and some that can increase them. We don't know your whole story. We won't see your package. Neither you nor anyone else will know if you can pick up a SNA of SNFO slot until the board publishes it decision. Simple as that.

So instead of basing whether or not to apply on what you or we think your chances are, I'm suggesting you just apply and the chips will fall where they may. That's what every one of us that are winged, in flight school and awaiting a decision did. We applied for what we wanted to do. For some of us, it worked out. For others, it didn't or it won't.

Despite what's in your package, there is alot you can't control and we don't know about that will affect your "chances": needs of the Navy, waivers, timing, board composition, board precept and a whole host of other things.

Bottom line is there is only one guarantee: You've got absolutely ZERO chance of flying something with NAVY printed on the side if you don't apply.

Apologies for blowing a gasket. It wasn't directed at you personally, but at the "what are my chances" posts in general.

Again, you've already made the decision that Naval Aviation is a career you are interested in. My advice is not to worry about what chance you have of getting into a commissioning program, but worry about how to best represent yourself to the board and getting any waivers you might need.

*gasket replaced*

Bubba Out. There are some balls that need calling...

Slob91

Yeah, I know my comment was a little over the top. Sorry about that I just don't appreciate a comment that uses sarcasm to make me look dumb and every word is "fvcking this" "fvcking that." I understand this is the military and I guess thats how things work, but im just looking for an honest answer here.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
The honest answer is that no one knows. Even if we knew every little detail about you, we wouldn't know.

Hug it out broseph.

GreenLantern330

Just to add again... there are already threads about ADD. Utilize the search function! There are plenty of aviators on this forum that have the waiver, so in retrospect to the whole "will ADD prevent me from becoming an SNA/SNFO" crap... NO as long as you can get the waiver.

That is just to answer the ADD question. All other parts of your application... that's up to the selection boards.

Slob91

bubba I just realized I didnt even see your long detailed answer before, thanks a lot that clears it up a lot.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeah, I know my comment was a little over the top. Sorry about that I just don't appreciate a comment that uses sarcasm to make me look dumb and every word is "fvcking this" "fvcking that." I understand this is the military and I guess thats how things work, but im just looking for an honest answer here.

Dear Francis,

Well fvck me in the heart mu fvcking brutha from anotha mutha!! That is how the fvcking military works. We fvcking swear all the fvcking time. what the fvck do you fvcking think we fvcking do? So FYYFF. That's short for Fvck You Ya Fvcking Fvck.

Your chances are 0.00%, I know that for a guaranteed 100% fvcking fact, maybe.

Just fvcking kidding. i fvckin think...read my fvcking discalimer. Fvck, I can't fvcking help myself...