• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

AD USAF to Navy Reserve

HighSlowLowFast

Hello all!

I’m an active duty USAF aviator looking at options when my commitment expires. I’d like to continue serving, but the family is ready to not move every 2.5-3 years. I’m familiar with the ANG/AFR hiring process, but am clueless about the reserve component in the Navy/USMC. What does the process for interservice transfer into the reserve component look like? I’ve got a few units in mind; do I just call them up like I would in the AF or is there a more centralized process?

ARAMP1

Aviator Extraordinaire
pilot
None
I was active duty AF and transfered to the Navy Reserves. It was a 10 month pain in the ass process.

Call them up and see what your options are. They're looking for the same thing the AF is...junior/most qualified but also a good dude/dudette. From what I've seen (in the training command), the aviation selection boards have been super competitive and I am humbled to have been selected amongst such competitive company.

Just my speculation here and I have no data to back this up, but I would say with the airlines not hiring as much now, there's probably even more applications with qualified pilots now than in previous years.

Last edited:

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Just my speculation here and I have no data to back this up, but I would say with the airlines not hiring as much now, there's probably even more applications with qualified pilots now than in previous years.

For comparison, some Air Force reserve tanker units that was taking pretty much anyone from any service a year ago are now only considering qualified and current instructor pilots. I’d venture to guess it’s the same for a lot of Navy reserve units as well.