• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USN AD SSgt USAF to Naval Aviator

CallsignTIDE

Good afternoon everyone,

I wanted to post on here to get some opinions on this. I’ve had some bad luck with recruiters, but the good thing is I am currently in the process of a PCS to South Carolina. I am hoping with the new move, I can start fresh.
Little about me: Active duty SSgt (E-5) USAF
Combat aviator with two deployments to Southwest Asia and Afghanistan and fly air strike missions from the states that are overseas. I have been the main aircrew member for navigation, mission planning, ATC communications, using our targeting pod, and guiding in laser guided munitions. I also have a pilots license and a currently a commercial student.
I applied for the Air Force board this year, but shortly after I applied, the board was cancelled and it had me thinking about giving the Navy an honest to God try. I’m hoping that when I get to SC, I will have someone good to work with.
What scores should I be shooting for on the ASTB? I took the AFOQT and did pretty well, but my math was on the lower side (which the AF does not necessarily care about as much as other scores or content). Does the Navy consider a “whole person package” or do they just care more about the test scores? I have 3 LORs from my squadron commander (O-5) and two Colonels that I have served/flew with for a couple years. I also graduated with a 3.8 GPA and 26 years old.

Did anyone just solely apply for Naval Aviator? I know how bad I want to be a military pilot, but any personal experiences would be appreciated. I know there is a few people around here who have done the switch from USAF to USN. I have all the study resources, it’s really all the same stuff I used to study for the AFOQT. Looking forward to any feedback about test scores and application process.

Cheers,

Tide

exNavyOffRec

Good afternoon everyone,

I wanted to post on here to get some opinions on this. I’ve had some bad luck with recruiters, but the good thing is I am currently in the process of a PCS to South Carolina. I am hoping with the new move, I can start fresh.
Combat aviator with two deployments to Southwest Asia and Afghanistan and fly air strike missions from the states that are overseas. I have been the main aircrew member for navigation, mission planning, ATC communications, using our targeting pod, and guiding in laser guided munitions. I also have a pilots license and a currently a commercial student.
I applied for the Air Force board this year, but shortly after I applied, the board was cancelled and it had me thinking about giving the Navy an honest to God try. I’m hoping that when I get to SC, I will have someone good to work with.
What scores should I be shooting for on the ASTB? I took the AFOQT and did pretty well, but my math was on the lower side (which the AF does not necessarily care about as much as other scores or content). Does the Navy consider a “whole person package” or do they just care more about the test scores? I have 3 LORs from my squadron commander (O-5) and two Colonels that I have served/flew with for a couple years. I also graduated with a 3.8 GPA and 26 years old.

Did anyone just solely apply for Naval Aviator? I know how bad I want to be a military pilot, but any personal experiences would be appreciated. I know there is a few people around here who have done the switch from USAF to USN. I have all the study resources, it’s really all the same stuff I used to study for the AFOQT. Looking forward to any feedback about test scores and application process.

Cheers,

Tide
Do well on your ASTB, get a PFAR 7 or greater and that should put you in a good place.

Good afternoon everyone,

Cheers,

Tide

What was your job in the Air Force? Your description is a bit vague. I was an AD SSgt in the AF as well. I applied through a Navy recruiter for OCS and only listed pilot. I’d recommend you do the same if that’s what you want to be. If you don’t get picked up the first couple times then maybe explore other options.
The Navy looks at the whole person to include GPA, test scores ect.
Ask here or PM if you have any other questions.

exNavyOffRec

The Navy looks at the whole person to include GPA, test scores ect.
for SNA and SNFO it is really only the PFAR/FOFAR and then some GPA and degree mixed in sometimes. There are some other designators that look at the "other items" but those designators have less rigorous pipelines (less attrition) so they can rely a lot less on scores than aviation.