• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

"Active Topics" vs "Today's Posts"

Which Navigation Bar post search link should I keep?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Added two now thread search options on the top navigation bar.

Today's Posts, is the same one as before, shows all posts within the last 24 hours.

Active Topics, provides a drop down menu, and choices of how far you want to look for posted topics.

They both run the exact same query of the database. Which one should I go with?

John

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Since I'm dumb and hate change, I voted for Today's posts.

Is there a start page anymore? The one with the ads?

stevew

I like the todays posts. I usually use it if I dont have a chance to finish reading the new posts and my session times out. I can always go back and see all the posts from that day which I might have missed. Besides, what's the difference between "active posts" and "new posts"?

VarmintShooter

Bottom of the barrel
pilot
Ummm. So "Active Topics - Last Day" is exactly the same as "Today's Posts?"

If so then I vote for the "Active Topics." Web, if you took the time to program it then you might as well keep it, especially if they are essentially the same, only with the new having more options.

Oh, and agree about the front page with the ads ...

makana

I wake up in the morning & I piss excellence.
pilot
When "Today's Posts" disappeared a couple weeks ago, I was disappointed becuase that's what I use to get a broad overview of the posts from the day, hence the name. I'm glad to see its return. However, isn't it a little redundant since the first choice in Active Topics is "Last Day"? I like them both but I think Active posts seems more useful (e.g. away from computer for 2-3 days) and come back to get our AW fix by clicking on Last 3 days.

smittyrunr

pilot
Contributor
I like "Active Topics" better, but normally I'll just use "New Posts" to see what's been going on since I was last here.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Quo Vadis ????

It seems to me that we should ask: What do you want the "search" function(s) of the webpage to do?

I like "TODAY's" posts, even though I notice some are from "yesterday" at the present time. Does "Today" represent the past 24 hours?

I find the current "New Posts" sometimes has NOTHING on it --- no new posts in a defined time window, I guess. I would do away with this in favor of the new "TODAY's" option.

I do like the new "Active" item on the toolbar, however --- I just think "TODAY" is of more value. Could "ACTIVE"'s multiple-day search function be incorporated into the present "Search" menu as an additional drop-down item? The present "Search" option offers little unless you know the direction you want to go?

VarmintShooter

Bottom of the barrel
pilot
People, "Today's Posts" equals (as in: is exactly the same as) "Active Topics - Last Day." :confused:

The real question is, do you like the ability to bring up posts from the last one, two, three, four, or five days selectively, or only to bring up the last day's posts.

In my mind it's a no-brainer. For those who voted "Today's Posts," what is it that you think works differently with using the Last Day option of Active Topics? Perhaps I missed something.

The only thing we get from Active Topics is more functionality that you can choose to use or not.

I think perhaps folks are confused by the new technology, but you don't lose anything by getting rid of the Today's Posts.

I usually use "New Posts" anyway, but I am on here way too much.

bennett4362

deployment sucks
i like active posts. as varmitshooter said, it gives you the same function as today's posts, but also allows you to see a little further back; so if you can't get on the computer for a couple of days, you can still check to see what happened.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
VarmintShooter said:
People, "Today's Posts" equals (as in: is exactly the same as) "Active Topics - Last Day." .... I think perhaps folks are confused by the new technology....... :confused:

OUCH !! O.K. !! GOT IT !!! .... that still doesn't change my opinion on the relative "value" of the drop-down menu options postited by Web-San, which I believe was the object of this exercise.

P.S. "New tech"? ... while in my previous incarnation, I only used computers for navigation and dropping bombs, I will bet I was building computers while you were getting ready to pick up your date for the HS Prom ... (just kidding) :) :)

VarmintShooter

Bottom of the barrel
pilot
Hey A4, wasn't trying to bash you, just top make sure everyone understood that they weren't losing anything with the new function. :)

You might have been building the computers while I was in HS ;) , but I did log a few hours on my Commodore 64, as well as the Atari, Apple IIe, and all of the old DOS machines (can remember when the 286 was awesome). :eek:

Besides, I'm just a slack-jawed yokel ... :D

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
VarmintShooter said:
Hey A4 ..... I'm just a slack-jawed yokel ... :D
Roger that: But was that you who danced with my ex-wife at a Honky-Tonk in Grapevine, Texas in 1979??? She disappeared for the next three (3) days ....

IF SO, I wish you had done it 100 years earlier ....
9999916932.JPG

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I, too, use the New Posts function most often, but there are times when I would like to be able to bring up posts from a specified time period. Most of the time it's when I let my session time out and then want to come back and continue reading with new posts. Also, it will come in handy when gone for a few days. I think the Active Posts thing is a great idea. Everyone who disagrees should slap themselves in the face 14 times and reevaluate their priorities :icon_shoo.

VarmintShooter said:
People, "Today's Posts" equals (as in: is exactly the same as) "Active Topics - Last Day." :confused:

The real question is, do you like the ability to bring up posts from the last one, two, three, four, or five days selectively, or only to bring up the last day's posts.

In my mind it's a no-brainer. For those who voted "Today's Posts," what is it that you think works differently with using the Last Day option of Active Topics? Perhaps I missed something.

The only thing we get from Active Topics is more functionality that you can choose to use or not.

I think perhaps folks are confused by the new technology, but you don't lose anything by getting rid of the Today's Posts.

I usually use "New Posts" anyway, but I am on here way too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.