• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS Active Duty Navy to OCS

HawaiiIDC

PRO-REC Y IP 1820
Does anybody have experience or knowledge of the precise language stated in orders to OCS? Specifically, my wife and I live in Hawaii and would appreciate any feedback in regards whether it is a PCS move or only temporary? Would I come back to Hawaii after attending OCS and IDC schooling or should we already be preparing for a quick move? I have yet to receive my Final Select letter, but like to plan accordingly. Thanks.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Does anybody have experience or knowledge of the precise language stated in orders to OCS? Specifically, my wife and I live in Hawaii and would appreciate any feedback in regards whether it is a PCS move or only temporary? Would I come back to Hawaii after attending OCS and IDC schooling or should we already be preparing for a quick move? I have yet to receive my Final Select letter, but like to plan accordingly. Thanks.

Treat OCS and IDC school just like you would RTC and A-School.

HawaiiIDC

PRO-REC Y IP 1820
The difference is I was a civilian before RTC and A-School. My Hawaii BAH, I think, should continue throughout my training. I'm a little unsure about the transition.

PettyOfficerCJ

I talked to a couple former CTs just turned IW ensigns. As IW, you will not be PCSing until after training in Rhode Island and Pensacola (oh and now we will be adding 3 weeks in Virginia to all that). While at Pensacola, we will receive permanent orders to one of the 5 Centers of Excellence (used to be one of the 4 main NIOCs but they just added the Colorado one to being one that new assessions can go to). We will PCS after finishing the course in Pensacola.

PettyOfficerCJ

And yes, your BAH will continue. They won't stop supporting your family. It's kind of similar to sailors who get sent to do aircrew training or any other specialized school.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
And yes, your BAH will continue. They won't stop supporting your family. It's kind of similar to sailors who get sent to do aircrew training or any other specialized school.

That's probably a better comparison than mine. Don't PCS your family until you're done with schooling and know where your next permanent duty station is.

usnavymle

Pro-Rec Y IW
I talked to a couple former CTs just turned IW ensigns. As IW, you will not be PCSing until after training in Rhode Island and Pensacola (oh and now we will be adding 3 weeks in Virginia to all that). While at Pensacola, we will receive permanent orders to one of the 5 Centers of Excellence (used to be one of the 4 main NIOCs but they just added the Colorado one to being one that new assessions can go to). We will PCS after finishing the course in Pensacola.
He's an 1820, so I could see him going to a NCTAMS rather than one of the big four; that's only an IW thing I believe.

What's the three weeks in Virginia all about?

PettyOfficerCJ

He's an 1820, so I could see him going to a NCTAMS rather than one of the big four; that's only an IW thing I believe.

What's the three weeks in Virginia all about?

You're right. He is not an 1810......Sorry, HawaiiIDC ignore the stuff about for sure going to a NIOC. :)

So, this Virginia training is a brand new thing. The officers in my command came to me with the notification that had been sent out to IDC commands. Starting in October, all IDC new accessions (IW/IP/Intel/Oceano/etc) will go together to a 3 week course in Dam Deck before going on to our specialized schools. The course is basically an "Intro to the IDC". They did the pilot course a few months ago.

Scaevola

Arts and Crafts SME
You're right. He is not an 1810......Sorry, HawaiiIDC ignore the stuff about for sure going to a NIOC. :)

So, this Virginia training is a brand new thing. The officers in my command came to me with the notification that had been sent out to IDC commands. Starting in October, all IDC new accessions (IW/IP/Intel/Oceano/etc) will go together to a 3 week course in Dam Deck before going on to our specialized schools. The course is basically an "Intro to the IDC". They did the pilot course a few months ago.
For 1830s who normally go to Dam Neck for NIOBC, does this three-week course replace part of the 5 months of training, or extend it? Do you know if it's timed to line up with that school or could there be a weird gap in between where we have nothing to do? Trying to figure out how this affects the PCS move that Intel types get for that training. I was looking forward to a little OHARP duty time back at home after OCS to get the house in order, not waiting around to class up in VA Beach...

Sorry for the total thread jack, this is just the first and only place I've seen this training mentioned.

PettyOfficerCJ

For 1830s who normally go to Dam Neck for NIOBC, does this three-week course replace part of the 5 months of training, or extend it? Do you know if it's timed to line up with that school or could there be a weird gap in between where we have nothing to do? Trying to figure out how this affects the PCS move that Intel types get for that training. I was looking forward to a little OHARP duty time back at home after OCS to get the house in order, not waiting around to class up in VA Beach...

Sorry for the total thread jack, this is just the first and only place I've seen this training mentioned.

It's no problem :) Glad to help. Once I have access to my computer (doing this on my phone), I'll type up the actual message info that's being passed down (as well as a recent article that just came out on it.)
It will not replace any of the original specialized schools. It's something that we will all go do before going to our respective schools. You may still be stuck with a wait time for your follow on school. it will delay actual PCSing because this is an addition to the training pipeline.

The neat part that I find about this is that we'll get to meet, learn with, and network with other new officers in the IDC outside of our own designators. As it is only 3 weeks and not designed to be intense, it seems like it'll be a rather enjoyable 3 weeks especially with it being right after OCS. Good times!

PettyOfficerCJ

Just realized that I didn't answer one of your questions and, to be honest, I don't know. As this course is also in Dam Neck, I could see them letting you actually go ahead and pcs there. You'll for sure be in Dam Neck longer than 6 months with all this. I don't have an actual answer on that though, and, as this is brand new to everyone, I don't know who you'd ask. Sorry :/

Scaevola

Arts and Crafts SME
Just realized that I didn't answer one of your questions and, to be honest, I don't know. As this course is also in Dam Neck, I could see them letting you actually go ahead and pcs there. You'll for sure be in Dam Neck longer than 6 months with all this. I don't have an actual answer on that though, and, as this is brand new to everyone, I don't know who you'd ask. Sorry :/
No worries. Given how new the program is, I'm not surprised the information isn't 100% available at this stage. In terms of the 3-week training itself I am right there with you that it should be a nice experience and a good way to get some face time with IDC folks from outside our primary designators. My concern is more about the logistics impact on my family. Wondering if it will be three weeks TAD, then back home, then the PCS; an extension to the usual 1830 PCS move to that area; something else? I'm sure all will be revealed in due time.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Generally speaking: once you have orders in hand with an ULDUSTA, you will be able to PCS your family there, even if you have to go to a bunch of schools en route as I-stops. Until you do, though, the HHG people won't even talk to you.

SharkBait

Will sailors without dependents have their BAH stopped once they go to OCS or will it continue until they transfer to their next duty station?