• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Active Augmentation and other force shaping tools

Lawman

None
It's a far better idea than pulling guys right out of the FRS. Or, pull them after wings before the FRS.

I see this as the logical idea as well. Sorta a if you know your gonna get butt raped why go through all the dinner and movie lets just get it over with. The only real issue Id see with it would be the added no clock time to your commitment and the fact that you'd be one year closer to Captain without the experiance your expected to have with it. We're experiancing a similar problem to this down here at Rucker with the ever lengthening pipelines. Captains and W2's that havent even started advanced aircraft training.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
...Flight school/MOS school attrites should be #1 on the IA list...
That's the way it used to be -- no free lunch or ticket home when you attrite/DOR -- they just didn't call it 'IA' ...

It was called this:

i05397.jpg
p11.JPG

Recidivist

VMFAT-101 is the SD hornet FRS, so it sounds like "yes" based on Her_Dude's post. This corroborates things I've heard in other places as well, but I'm not there, so I can't confirm. 100% maybe

eurotrash

USMC SNA
Hypothetical question if I may, at the end of my 8 year commitment I'll have about 5 years left until 20 (prior service), say I am not deemed worthy of career designation, do not pass go collect $100, etc, for whatever reason. Do I get the green weenie with 5 years left, or if I'm willing to be like the OIC of Urinalysis, or the Coffee Mess Distribution Supply Officer...are they gonna let me finish and retire?

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
^^^^^That's exactly why I never took the devil's money...spot on with giving the IA's to attrites. I wish I could have included it in the 'comments' portion of my job satisfaction survey.

If you plan on staying in, take the money. If you don't, then don't take it. Simple as that.

If you're willing to drop papers if you're given an IA, then you do retain an out, which is worth it as far as that goes. However, if you think you can leverage the monitor with a threat of resigning, think again. He'll say,"Don't let the door hit you on the way out." I'm not saying that's your plan, but just so everyone understands.

Just know that if you do end up staying, that you might be sitting at year 16 thinking, "I'm still in the Corps anyway. Wish I had a boat, too."

HueyCobra8151

pilot
Anybody wanna take bets on how long till they start grabbing guys fresh out of TBS to do IA's?

Faced with 6+ months of nothingness waiting to start API, I inquired to my CoC at TBS about doing an IA prior to heading down to Florida.

I got laughed at. ;(

ArkhamAsylum

500+ Posts
pilot
When I was in the pre-API pool (circa '06), they started asking for volunteers for an IA billet. I guess it was a FAC RTO, and was not "Commandant-approved," whatever that means. As far as I know, it never materialized, but due to the sheer volume of volunteers, it might be an option worth pursuing.
Related note, while skimming through MARADMIN 025/10, I noted a reduction in ACP for FY10, as well as the introduction of the "Early Out" program. Anyone care to elaborate/hypothesize?

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
on my POS cell so excuse any errors...

my off-topic comments in the F-35 thread wasn't just a drunken rant. Pulling dudes for IAs after the Hornet RAG has been a reality for 2 years now. I don't know what's happening with Harriers but my understanding it's similar. There's going to be a void in middle management soon in the jet community, IMO

For those in jets worrying about Career Designation, stop worrying. Unlike a ground dudes who's likely to get only one look at it before their EAS, you will get several due to your 8 year contract after winging. But within 5 or 6 years into that contract, you should be up for Major, and according to the MarAdmin, if you're selected, you are automatically designated...but I'd bet if you show up in zone & aren't designated, it could be a reason to pass you over. The MarAdmin says nothing about those 540 days needing to be MOS observed...just don't suck at whatever the Corps has you doing and you won't have to worry about not getting designated or promoted.

SF

teabag53

pilot
If you plan on staying in, take the money. If you don't, then don't take it. Simple as that.

...or don't take it so you have options if you don't know if you want to stay or go. It's really not a matter of leverage but of being able to say, "Screw this, I'm taking my ball and going elsewhere" if/when the time comes that the needs of the Corps really butts against your personal desires/ambitions. I suppose it all comes down to what you're willing pay but it IS nice to have options...just like flying.

Recidivist

Too many questions

According to this Aug 2009 Document the average age of the USMC's F-18s is 23 years, while that of the AV-8B is only 12 years, is the Harrier community experiencing a lot of the shortfalls in aircraft that the Hornet community is experiencing?
And why are we replacing the Harrier squadrons first (according the the FY2010 aviation plan)? Does that have something to do with supporting the Amphibs first vice supporting the CVNs, maintainence costs or something else?

On another note, does anybody know if the other procurements for the Marine Corps are proceeding on track (h-1 upgrade, West Coast V-22s, KC-130J)?
I've heard the UH-1Ys have already been out on the MEU and dirt Det'd to Afghanistan, what about Ah-1Z?

thanks,
Perplexed in Pensacola

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
As far as V-22s, the transition is back on the revised timeline. We are proceding on time on our revised timeline, 20 years after our initial timeline. Sort of like if I call you on your cell and tell you that I'll be late for dinner, and will be there at 8 instead of 6. When I get there at 8, I'll say I'm still "on time."

KC-130Js and the Huey side of the upgrades are both doing very well. The AH-1Z is behind it.

As far as the age of the Harriers, I think that reflects the time since remanufacture to the current AV-8B Harrier II standard, not the actual age of the airframes, which I think is older. As to why the Harrier will be replaced first, I can only speculate. It's a one for one equivalent swap of VSTOL aircraft, for starters. Once we start replacing F-18s, the whole TACAIR integration fiasco rears its ugly head again. Plus, the degree of improvement in capablity going from a Harrier to an F-35 will be greater than that going from an F-18 to -35.

Clux4

Banned
Here is the MCO dealing with the Career designation piece. Per the order, you are only guaranteed one consideration opportunity. MMOA 3 will give you a mandatory removal date once you fail to make the cut. Those going on IA tours outside of their MOS can request extension if necessary.

I believe "Early-out" applies to the Enlisted folks. There are a few Early Separation programs. A common one is a program that lets first-termers get out in time to start school/college. Here is a link to the separation manual where everything is discussed in detail.

hurricane221

If one was working towards October 2010 OCS with an air contract what should I prepare for and think about at this point going forward? I know this is early but I figure I should prepare myself for everything, what exactly am I looking at with a summer 2011 TBS graduation. Forgive my ignorance on this subject.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
If one was working towards October 2010 OCS with an air contract what should I prepare for and think about at this point going forward? I know this is early but I figure I should prepare myself for everything, what exactly am I looking at with a summer 2011 TBS graduation. Forgive my ignorance on this subject.

PT. That's all you need to worry about at this point. Nothing you do or say will affect the word (that will change countless times before then anyhow)