• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Acronyms/Flight school info

corrie

SNA MOM2
Is there by chance anyone knows where to find a list of current and frequently used acronyms? Some I already know but many I don't. For example, what is IFS? How does it apply to API? I know one definition is integrated systems facilities. If you have recently graduated from Navy OCS do you immediately (or as soon as there is a slot) start API? I've gleaned as much info as possible from the faqs and other forums. Also, does anyone know the address to send correspondence to an API student? Thanks to all for your help.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Introductory Flight Screening... It is a program that the Navy uses to see if you have the basic aptitude and desire to fly. It occurs before API. Soooo.. if you son/daughter just finished OCS they would start IFS next.

An API student should have an apt/house out in town so that would be the address you use to send them personal correspondance.

corrie

SNA MOM2
Thanks for responding so quickly. I was of the understanding that during OCS some candidates may already be designated as SNA's and as such do extra swimming for example. If they already are designated as such, do they still do IFS prior to API or could this have been done even before OCS? If they are a civilian pilot already (and I do know there is a huge difference between civlian and Navy), does that make any difference. If not, how long is IFS?

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
If they have prior experience (25 hours and cross-country flying) or if they have a civilian license (as I did), they do not need to do IFS and will class up for API relatively quickly. If they have no experience flying, then they will be assigned a location to complete IFS on the Navy's dime.

Josh

corrie

SNA MOM2
Thanks so much Josh (Bogey Spotter). That's what I thought, that one would go directly to API with the quals you referenced. Now, any suggestions on a list of acronyms? I don't want to be a bother but if I can find out some answers on my own I wouldn't have to ask. On the other hand, maybe some of my questions could help some other "uninformed parent" Too bad there haven't been posts on the parents corner for around a year now. Thanks again. (Aren't you in API now yourself?)

corrie

SNA MOM2
Thanks Puck 11, and everyone who's providing information. It's greatly appreciated. I'll check out the site and thanks for the direct link.

Heloanjin

pilot
There is also the DICNAVAB - Dictionary of Naval Abbreviations. Amazon sells it. It won't have everything since these things change, grow, morph very quickly.

T.M.Gray

I find www.acronymfinder.com invaluable. It encompasses acronyms and abbreviations from all over, not just the Navy. Sometimes this means having to skip through 20 or 30 definitions that don’t apply, but they are usually easy to skip past.

corrie

SNA MOM2
My thanks and appreciation to you all. I will put the info to use and maybe it will help will be of assistance to others as well.

fatathaland

If they have prior experience (25 hours and cross-country flying) or if they have a civilian license (as I did), they do not need to do IFS and will class up for API relatively quickly. If they have no experience flying, then they will be assigned a location to complete IFS on the Navy's dime.

Josh

I would like your opinion on IFS in my case:

Student license, 40+ hours student flight, practice area solo but I never finished ground school, no cross country or PP license. I stopped short due to money and figured I could finish up in the Navy.

Would I be going to IFS or API? I would hope IFS at this point as I've already gotten pretty rusty.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor

Student license, 40+ hours student flight, practice area solo but I never finished ground school, no cross country or PP license. I stopped short due to money and figured I could finish up in the Navy.

Would I be going to IFS or API? I would hope IFS at this point as I've already gotten pretty rusty.

I couldn't tell ya. You're just going to have to talk to flight management when the time comes. If I had to guess, because you lack the XC time, you may be headed to IFS, but I really wouldn't count on my word...ya know....since I didn't do IFS. :icon_wink

KnightNArmor

ASO
pilot
When I went through IFS part of the requirement was to finish the X-country. I would guess that they'd make sure you were checked out in whatever A/C you were going to solo in, give you a flight or two to get prepared and then send you on your XC.
Just a guess... but it sounds logical.

MN Navy Mom

Another site for parents...

Hello Corrie -

The people on this site are GREAT and often quite amusing but here is a site that is actually developed for parents and SO's...if you are like me, you'll be a bit more comfortable weighing in here :icon_smil

www.officerfamilies.com

Julie

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor

Now that the curriculum has been standardized it's very likely you'll have to go through the same program as everyone else. If you demonstrate competency, they'll likely accelerate it for you (i.e. less practice time), but you need to hit all the same benchmarks that are now assigned for IFS - FAA written exam, and the Jeppesen I/II Stage Checks.