• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Acls?

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Random question I just thought of... do SH-60F and HH-60H have any sort of ACLS capability, even if just Mode 2?

MasterBates

I believe the 60S is also Tacan only, but I am not 100% sure. 60B/F can auto approach to a hover for SAR/ASW Dip purposes, but that is the only auto approach I know of that the 60 series has.

MasterBates

Damn. And they have "New Helo Smell" too. I stand corrected on the S.

I just cant believe the R is Tacan only. It is supposed to have a "self contained approach" utilizing the Radar or HawkLink, but I have not seen the NATOPS for it.

Pags

N/A
pilot
I'm guessing ALCS is the needles on the boat? If so, no, we don't have it in the sierra. Like Squorch said, we have VOR/TACAN/NDB/LOC/ILS capability. We can also do the auto approach...same AFCS as the older 60s.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Pags said:
I'm guessing ALCS is the needles on the boat? If so, no, we don't have it in the sierra. Like Squorch said, we have VOR/TACAN/NDB/LOC/ILS capability. We can also do the auto approach...same AFCS as the older 60s.

Yeah, needles.

I never understood why ACLS was needles (the spermy) and ICLS was bullseye.

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
Why do helos need an ILS? couldn't you just fly to the center of the field, or a point (GPS or RNAV) and just lower yourself?

I really don't know much about how helos shoot approaches, so if this seems like a stupid question, it isn't meant to be.

ghost

working, working, working ...
pilot
PropStop said:
Why do helos need an ILS? couldn't you just fly to the center of the field, or a point (GPS or RNAV) and just lower yourself?

I really don't know much about how helos shoot approaches, so if this seems like a stupid question, it isn't meant to be.

Helos have to shoot instrument approaches like any aircraft when the weather is bad. The 60-B/F/H/S/R do not have an IFR GPS or RNAV. Even if you could navigate yourself to a point over the airfield, you can't just lower yourself down. Automatic approaches are designed to work over empty areas of water and might not function 100% correctly over land (I would not want to trust it IFR overland). Helicopters do get special consideration when flying approaches though. We can cut vis mins in half down and there are special copter approaches.

Pags

N/A
pilot
PropStop said:

like ghost said, we shoot approaches just like everyone else, just slower plus we get the special considerations already mentioned. we still need a way to avoid all the obstacles people insist on building around airfields.

hovering requires outside references and depth perception. without a coupler (auto hover basically), we wouldn't be able to do night SARs since there would be no way to safely hover without good exterior refs.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Wait a second - so the 60S has no IFR GPS capability? ARE YOU KIDDING?

Why does the backwards ass Navy inisist on keeping TACAN around. Jesus that is moronic.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Probably because ships have TACANs and move. What I want to know is why every bug-smashing 152 on the planet has an ILS and my $30 million Harrier doesn't, which makes me rely on a PAR given by the junior ATC sailor in the navy. That is, unless it's raining, which renders our L-class ships pathetic radar unusable for glideslope. ASRs anyone?

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
TACAN is a nice tool in the very narrow , limited world of finding a moving ship - BUT THAT's IT. It's bad airmanship not to use your GPS for primary navigation reagrdless whether the morons at NAVAIR have it "IFR Certified" or not. My 2 cents :) - and if I'm the PIC/HAC that's the way we would do it in my A/C