• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Achilles pain...

jpmatta16

I had some pain in my achilles tendon over the last week and I was wondering what would be good to do for it? I ship to OCS on may 27th and dont want this to be a problem. Any advice would be great!

helo_wifey

Ice followed by easy stretching. Use a towel or a band and flex your foot toward the floor and then up. Only do this though if you don't have swelling/if it's inflamed, if it is swollen/inflamed then ice with motrin, etc until swelling has gone down.

When do you have the pain? I had achilles tendonitis and had pain when running, and if the tendon was shortened for long periods of time.

I also had massage therapy done for it as well.

* but I'm not a doctor, so obviously consult with a doctor but I'm just giving you experience with what has happened with me and what I know as a personal trainer/massage therapist*

Jynx

*Placeholder*
Contributor
I had some pain in my achilles tendon over the last week and I was wondering what would be good to do for it? I ship to OCS on may 27th and dont want this to be a problem. Any advice would be great!

Diagnosing over the internet is a bad call, especially with something like an Achilles, with that said...

I'm gonna go ahead and say that if you're inflamed, RICE 3x daily. (Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation) Also, see what Ibuprofen does for you, assuming you're not allergic to it. Aspirin works as well, but makes you bleed more freely. I'm gonna assume it's running what bothers you and causes the pain. If that's the case try biking and the elliptical. If the pain doesn't go away after 3 or 4 days of low impact and care, or inflames again really easy, you should seriously consider talking to a doc

Again, getting medical advice over the net is usually not so great, but I hope this helps somewhat.

FLY_USMC

pilot
Having been someone who about week 6 got some nasty achilles pain from humping up hills with a fairly heavy pack, I would HIGHLY recommend just going to the f'ing doctor, no matter how mild it is. I'm not saying I frequent the doctor.....ever...but in this case. This is not something you want to have to worry about at OCS, and if anything can aggravate your body, it's OCS. I also got a nasty case of plantar fasciatis....also from carrying a heavy pack...so I guess as long as your willing to take 2000mg a day of Ibuprofen to numb the pain, and can look pass pissing blood, your are GOLDEN:)

jpmatta16

My pain started first at mini-ocs but it went away soon. After that I started feeling it a little tight after I ran on Tuesday and then today it was really hurting after. Running not so much during the run. Iwill be going to see the doc tomorrow, the corpsman at mini-ocs said of could be cuz in flat foot so well see

Ice followed by easy stretching. Use a towel or a band and flex your foot toward the floor and then up. Only do this though if you don't have swelling/if it's inflamed, if it is swollen/inflamed then ice with motrin, etc until swelling has gone down.

When do you have the pain? I had achilles tendonitis and had pain when running, and if the tendon was shortened for long periods of time.

I also had massage therapy done for it as well.

* but I'm not a doctor, so obviously consult with a doctor but I'm just giving you experience with what has happened with me and what I know as a personal trainer/massage therapist*

Amall

To add on to the above advice....

Do not mess around with achilles pain. If you snap your achilles, you have to have surgery to reattach, rehab is 6 months, and you'll never run like you did before. Not a light matter...

Achilles issues usually stem from chronically tight calves. That being said- Stretching (as helo wifey mentioned above) is key, lots of easy stretching. Also, ask a trainer or massage therapist about "foam rolling" or look it up online. Essentially, you can purchase a foam roller for about 10-20 bucks and use it to release "knots" in your calf muscles through myofasical release. I could go on, but googling it would save everyone here from boredom. As a person with calf issues, the foam roller is jesus to my running program. Also, make sure you're not pushing it with your runs- no unstable surfaces (like the beach). Run on dirt paths if you must, otherwise take a break for a while and ease back into things. Also, massage is an awesome way to get your calf muscles back in shape.

Don't take the pain lightly and "push" through it unless you'd like to push back your OCS date as well.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
You spend too much time on your feet at OCS to be going into OCS with pain/possible problems. Go to the doc, maybe you will need to push back. That is better than going and getting medically dropped....

jpmatta16

I am going to the doc today but I dont think I can push it back since Im PLC-C, and its really my last chance since I need to be commissioned by 27 for my flight contract. I dont think is a big deal since it just started, but well see wjat the doc says. Thank you all for the advice I have been in the RICE method since yesterday and its worked pretty good.

Lobster

I had tendonitis in my Achilles early in the season and the sports med staff had me on ice and stim, along with a cortisone cream (which apparently was NCAA legal), but I continued to skate with it I just had it taped before I went on the ice. Just to reiterate what everyone else said get to a doc or a physical therapist if you can.

jpmatta16

Just went to the doc and he said that its fine, that the only thing is that my achilles is to tight so I need to stretch it a lot so this does not hapen again. I will continue with RICE and slow down on the work out till it feels good again. thank you all for the advice

helo_wifey

Along with stretching comes a proper warm up...not doing a proper warm up before running was what caused mine.

ArkhamAsylum

500+ Posts
pilot
I had some Achilles pain a few weeks ago, and it was caused by my boots rubbing on my tendon the wrong way. I fixed it by avoiding those boots for a few weeks, massaging the boot to make the heel softer, and the RICE methods above. Good luck.