• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Accuracy International L11583 long-range rifle.

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
Although I'm sure the rifle played a large part in the success of this corporal's record. Training is key, like anything else.

One hit at a mile and a half is lucky. Two hits is unbelievable. I'd like to buy that man a beer.

m26

Contributor
Looks like the reporter transcribed the name of the rifle incorrectly. I think it was the L115A3.

One hit at a mile and a half is lucky. Two hits is unbelievable. I'd like to buy that man a beer.

Ditto.

I need to get to the range.

ryan1234

BAMF award

...reading the .338 ballistics, the drop @ 1700m is like -600in .... that's pretty crazy... energy @ 1600m is like 900ft-lbs

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
I'll go out on a limb and guess that thing cost some serious coin. Their web site says call for pricing...........

Flying Toaster

None
I'll go out on a limb and guess that thing cost some serious coin. Their web site says call for pricing...........

Last time I looked the AW's (what the Brits and most other armed forces use) were up over 10K but it looks like they've come down a bit to more like 6-9. The AE's which look the same but are more of a police rifle were 5ish, but looks like they are down a bit as well. Of course then you better be ready to add a S&B scope for 3-4k, and pay $4+ a round.

Bevo16

pilot
The rifle is between 5,000$ and 7,500$. About the same price range as the Barrett 98 Bravo, which is one hell of a rifle. There is a model 700 in .338 which is REALLY nice, and much cheaper.

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
The 700 is a fantastic rifle. For the money, it's hard to beat. I don't know about buying one in .338. I don't plan on hunting people anytime soon, so a 7.62x51 is fine by me. And if I want cheap, long range plinking, I stick to my Romanian PSL. It's not nearly as accurate as the rifles being talked about here, but it fires a big ass round, semi-auto, with an AK setup. <Sarcasm>So simple a Marine could figure it out.</Sarcasm>

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
[TJ]Am I the only one who instantly thought of Counterstrike when you saw the AWP?[/TJ]

Focus: Very badass shot. Good on him.

m26

Contributor
BAMF award

...reading the .338 ballistics, the drop @ 1700m is like -600in .... that's pretty crazy... energy @ 1600m is like 900ft-lbs

Muzzle velocity of 936 m/s at a distance of 2475 m. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't that mean it would take 2.5 seconds for the bullet to reach the target?

Seems like a decent amount of time for the target to move incidentally before the bullet arrives, even if he was attached to an MG. (Of course I know jack about sniping, but it sounds impressive)

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
I heard the interview of the previous world record shot (a Canadian sniper in Afghanistan). I think he was shooting a .50 cal, and according to him he aimed as best he could and then ust took a huge swag with the Kentucky windage at where to hold before he took the shot. He also said that he missed on his first shot but was able to adjust his hold and made contact with the rest of his shots (I think two). I only mention that because if I were a betting man I'd say it was similar in this case.

Flying Toaster

None
Muzzle velocity of 936 m/s at a distance of 2475 m. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't that mean it would take 2.5 seconds for the bullet to reach the target?

It takes much longer, if I had to guess it was well over 5 seconds. The velocity starts decreasing the instant the bullet leaves the barrel, so it isn't at 3,000fps for long. I'm not to well versed on the .338, but at that range it was probably transonic by the time it hit the target, which is what makes the the shot so impressive. Generally speaking the max effective range range of a weapon is where the bullet enters the transonic stage. As long as the bullet remains well above the speed of sound you just need to know the ballistics table, but are around/under the speed of sound they typically start tumbling and become unpredictable. For example .308 enters the transonic stage right under 1,000 yards depending on the type of bullet you are using (155/175gr will go past 1,000, 168gr will not).