• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Accredited University for PLC

airowana

I was wonder if I was going to accredited online University, that it would be harder for me to get accepted to PLC juniors, than if I was going to a traditional local state Universty/college. I feel that going to school online is the best option for me right now but is worried that I might be over looked because of the school. Also does it matter if it's a nationally or regional accredited school. I am going for ground contract. Any info would help. Thanks

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
It's going to have to be a nationally accredited school. I was accepted from a community college as an SNA. I think it can be done, but talk to your OSO. He'll have the best advice for you.

airowana

Yes it is a respectable nationally accredited 4-year university and it's not University of Phoenix Online. I really don't want to talk to a OSO right now, the reason being I just got out of active duty and want to complete atleast my freshman year before applying for PLC. I've not been in school since high school graduated in 2000 and don't know how well I'll adjust being a full time student, studying and working full time. This is the reason for me going to an online university instead of the local state University/college. I understand that the OSO will have the best advice but don't want to be pressured to come down to the recruiting office until I know that I'm ready. Is anyone in the same position as myself and any additional info would be great. Thanks

Oh-58Ddriver

Scouts Out!
None
Contributor
I say go to school. You will learn more, you will be forced to adjust, and you will be far better prepared for PLC and other Navy courses. Sometimes you have to just jump in and hope for the best.

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
Who cares if the OSO pushes you for a face to face visit? If they do, tell them no. It's not like he'll call you over and over like an enlisted recruiter. They won't steer you wrong as to whether the school you want to attend is good to go for later entrance into the program.

airowana

Well I did call the OSO today, I had to find out for sure what the deal was. Apparently he wasn't in and a SSGT helped me out. He told me that as long as the school is a nationally accredited university, it did'nt really matter what type of school it is. Then things started to get a little crazy, the SSGT started talking to me about joining the Reserve and continue to serve and still be able to attend PLC during the summer. I did tell him that I might join later once I completed my freshman year but you know recruiters, he started to talk to me that there was one job slot open and guaranteed in contract. That he doesn't know when the next slot will be available. So in the end we talked for about one hour about my options, he wanted me to come down to the office today but I told him that I was a very busy so he's calling me tommarrow to schedule a appointment, so he can give me more details in person. This is why I didn't want to call the OSO. I know it's my fault for saying that I was interested in joining the reserves but I did tell him after my freshman year. I thought it was pretty funny how things changed quickly from qualifying for PLC to joining the reserves. He did have alot of very useful information and I probably will join the reserves but not now. I feel that attending college and one day become a marine officer is the most important thing for me but the recuiter made me feel a little gulity for not continuing to serve.

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
If you don't want to go meet with him then grow some balls and just say no! His job is to get you to join the reserves, I had the same issue when I was researching the PLC program. Don't let him make you feel guilty about it. Just a quick story, my friend is/was a Marine reservist in the PLC program. They told him that he could finish school before ever having to deploy. He believed them and now he is in Iraq, not in school. So think about it before you commit to it, I'm sure the PLC guys on here can help you more than I can. Just wanted to relate my experiences!

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
airowana said:
I feel that attending college and one day become a marine officer is the most important thing for me but the recuiter made me feel a little gulity for not continuing to serve.

The don't join the reserves. If you want to go to OCS and be an officer of Marines then do that. With the deployment tempo going like it is, you will miss school and will get behind. Tell him thanks, but no thanks.

It isn't a OSA SSgt's job to get you to join the reserves. He's not an enlisted recruiter.

Crowbar

None
HighDimension said:
If you don't want to go meet with him then grow some balls and just say no!

One thing you may have to do as a new lieutenant is tell a SSgt to pound sand. May as well practice it now.

Seriously, thank him for his help but tell him it's not for you. If he has your phone number the calls may continue for a while but eventually will taper off.

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
Yes it is a respectable nationally accredited 4-year university and it's not University of Phoenix Online. I really don't want to talk to a OSO right now, the reason being I just got out of active duty and want to complete atleast my freshman year before applying for PLC. I've not been in school since high school graduated in 2000 and don't know how well I'll adjust being a full time student, studying and working full time. This is the reason for me going to an online university instead of the local state University/college. I understand that the OSO will have the best advice but don't want to be pressured to come down to the recruiting office until I know that I'm ready. Is anyone in the same position as myself and any additional info would be great. Thanks

I graduated from the University of Phoenix in May 07 with a degree in Business Management - Pro-Rec SNA, first try.