• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

accepted to Jacksonville University today....

efini_kid

Woohoo. got into my number one choice! im flying in on friday to check the school out and want to set up a meeting with the nrotc unit there. anyone have any good contacts with the unit? students or instructors?

efini_kid

well im a sophomore transfer. my biggest question are about the scholarship. since im a sophomore transfer will i be able to apply for the 2 year scholarship. are there specific major requirements, im a poli sci major. how has your experiences been at the unit, whats your daily schedule like as an OC? with having 2 bases so readily available do yall get to spend time at either NAS or Mayport, speaking with personel from the aviation/ ship communities?

onedge

pilot
JU Alum here C/O 06. If NUKE can't help you (and I suspect he can) then I can answer questions you may have.

EM1toNFO

Killing insurgents with my 'messages'!!
None
well im a sophomore transfer. my biggest question are about the scholarship. since im a sophomore transfer will i be able to apply for the 2 year scholarship. are there specific major requirements, im a poli sci major. how has your experiences been at the unit, whats your daily schedule like as an OC? with having 2 bases so readily available do yall get to spend time at either NAS or Mayport, speaking with personel from the aviation/ ship communities?

Questions concerning the scholarship need to be discussed with the proper Lieutenant, as I don't know. I'm fairly certain that there aren't any major requirements, just a 2.5 or better GPA. Although, a 2.5 GPA will NOT be competitive for an aviation slot, and it will probably put you on mandatory study hours. I've been here for a year almost. Its been interesting. At first, the change was so significant from what I was used to, It sucked. But, as I have become accustomed to how things are ran, its really not that big of a deal.

The unit is LARGE! Three companies of about 65-85 people each. Yes, with your midshipman ID card, you'll be able to go to the base. BUT, we however have officers (staff) from the major communities that you can ask whatever questions you have. Also, recently, we have had two different panels. One was a panel of different officer designators. The other was a panel of senior enlisted from different communities. We simply fired questions at them for an hour or so each. It was very informative.

We PT as a unit every Monday morning. If you score outstanding (overall) on the PT test, then Monday is the only mandatory day. If not, you have to attend 2 other pt sessions throughout the week. They have quite a few, so its easy to fit it to your schedule. Once or twice per semester we have fund raising events. NOT car washes. We used to work Jaguars' games, but there were recently tax issues with that. So, it looks like we'll work the Daytona Races instead. We also have various clubs and organizations: drill team, rifle team, sailing team (which hasn't lost in a pretty good while), etc.

All and all, its an easy gig. Go to class. Make average grades. PT some. Work a weekend or two for funds. Don't get into trouble. If you have any other ?'s, let me know or give the freshman or sophomore advisor a call and I'm sure they'd be happy to speak with you.

spinspilot

Efini, did you know UNF students can be midshipmen with JU NROTC? Just a thought, considering the price tag of JU. Good Luck on getting that scholarship and congrats on admission. btw, FLY MARINES!

EM1toNFO

None
Efini, did you know UNF students can be midshipmen with JU NROTC? Just a thought, considering the price tag of JU. Good Luck on getting that scholarship and congrats on admission. btw, FLY MARINES!

yup, forgot to tell ya that, I don't know much about JU, as I attend UNF.

efini_kid

thanks for the info guys. well i have always wanted to attend JU, and i have been given a decent academic scholarship to there, so my final cost for tuition per year will be around 5 to 8k. so prolly cheaper in the end than UNF considering i am moving from texas. currently i have a 2.9 gpa as a poli sci major. i have a meeting with a LT on monday to discuss joining and options.

EM1toNFO

None
UNF is cheaper. About 2-2.5k per semester, with books! based on a 15 semester hour load.

efini_kid

im not tryin to sound like a stuck up rich kid, but money isnt an issue. ive always wanted to get my degree from JU.