• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Acceptance to OCS for NFO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thien

I'm off to OCS 14 Sep 02. I know you are a month later, but we will probably see each other down the road sometime. You are lucky to get a spot that early. I graduated in May, and couldn't get down here until Sep. Count your blessings! Talk to you later.
Matt

Tiger

Thien, I am an SNFO who is actually here at OCS at the moment. I was actually due to report on Sep 14, '02 but somehow a slot opened up which allowed me to report on June 16th. Just be patient. There's still a possibility that you may come a week or two earlier. I was notified a week in advance that this slot was open. So, as a result I will be graduating, hopefully, the day before I was supposed to report for OCS originally. Ironic, isn't it?

Anyway, they haven't been feeding us too much information on what's going on with aviators. I think the pilots are classing up relatively fast (within 2 weeks or so) but the NFOs are supposedly taking a little longer to class up (like, between October and March from the gouge I've been hearing) - so, I'm just going to take things as they come and wait to see what happens. If I class up later then I'll use the time to work on my swimming and running and maybe some book study. But I suggest that you work on your push-ups, sit-ups and run, run, run. We just had a 5-mile run (the "Picnic Area Run") and between the hills and gravel it kicked a lot of butts. And you may be in good shape where you are but the humidity down here can punch you in the chest if you're not ready.

Me? I'm going to try my best to get the conversion from SNFO to SNA. Not that I wouldn't be happy flying in the back seat - but I just know my personality and I would rather be in front if the opportunity arose. I have 20/13 vision. I'm about 6'3"-4" tall. OCS has put me in the best physical condition (running-wise) that I've ever been in. The only thing that held me back was age - I'm 29. The gouge is that you can make the jump if you bust ass and that's what I'm going to do. And if for some reason I don't make the jump then at least I can say I gave it my best shot but I'll still behappy as long as I'm flying.

If you can, show up around Thursday the 12th of September or Friday morning. You'll get a chance to see a graduation ceremony and give you some extra motivation, etc. And look me up is you want. I can't tell you too much about the ins and outs of OCS but I can at least give you a heads-up.

Good luck to all of you who are coming. I'm going into my 9th week and I can't wait to get the hell out of here!

Tiger--

Thien

Thanks Tiger! That would be great if I could go a couple of weeks early. I am know only about 1 month away and the reality of it all is setting in. Everything that I do, I think how it will affect me relating to OCS and the Navy! Sounds like you are doing well...ready to get out of there.

I know what you mean about the humidity! I have been living in Pensacola for about 3 months know, and running sucks! Your head starts pounding and every car engine is magnified about 10 times! Moving down here was the best thing, especially because I wased used to running in the clean, crisp air of Western North Carolina. I had a rude awaking when I tried to run in the middle of the day when we first moved to FL. Now I know why they make you get up at 0500...so they can run and not feel bad about making you run in the heat...LOL!

Anyways, hope you can make the switch, I will be going in as an SNA, thank God. I'm like you, not really cut out to ride in the back seat (personality wise), but will if things don't work out. I just want to fly, and if it happens to be SNFO, I can't think of too many things out there that can top that job!!! I'll consider myself lucky and blessed either way! Until next time, happy running!!!

Thien

grouch

Hey Tiger, do you have any flight time? I'm wondering if that will make the transfer easier. I'm in the same boat you are in. I will turn 29 before OCS so age is an issue. I also had to get a medical waiver for some high frequency hearing loss.(Too much gunplay) I have over 300 flight hours though and I'm hoping that will count for something.

gus

Hey,
I head down to OCS in 9 November. I'm 29 ran an 11:50, 87 pushups, 98 sit-up prt and feeling like the heavens have opened up and smiled down up me. And would be honored to be given a chance to serve my country as a NFO

Dave Shutter

The skinny on the waiting is that in the early summer months NASC gets a huge glut of Academy and ROTC grads coming off TAD/leave/OHARP and what have you. Remember that pilots have several places to go but NFO's all go down the road to Sherman field. OCS student were being told that NA was only a few week wait while FO's from OCS would be standing by until OCT. or even later so they could get the USNA/ROTC people cleared out. Enjoy your stash time.

Edited by - Dave Shutter on 09/10/2002 13:31:04

Spin

SNA in Meridian
Hey y'all,

This board and all of you have been very helpfull. I've receieved a lot of help from some so far. My app. is almost complete and I'd rather be a pilot but if I get NFO I'll be happy with that as well. I have a million quick questions but will limit it to one right now. Someone was talking about the Motivational Statement. I REALLY busted my butt chopping it down to 200 words as the app says it should be 200 words or less. What I wanted to know is does it REALLY have to be 200 words or less? It's good, but it could be so much better with one more paragraph. My app should go in sometime in the next 2 weeks so hopefully I will see y'all soon. Oh yeah ... for the "older" crowd, I'm 27 although I DON'T consider that old!!!!

Peace,

Spin

ryan77

Hey Spin, I kept mine to 200 words. The boards have a finite amount of time and a very large applicant pool to evaluate. I think they would look poorly on people who write more than what is allowed. Just my $0.02. -Ryan

cman

Hey spin, 28 here and 29 aint that far away[8D]

Anyhow, I agree with Ryan, keep it 200 or less. Actually, I'd shoot for less. I don't think the board wants to see a lot of fluf.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.