• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Acceptance to OCS for NFO

Status
Not open for further replies.

squatrrs

I heard that nobody really wants NFO, so it is fairly easy to get accepted as long as you are eligible. Is this true? And, does anyone know how many NFO candidates don't accepted compared to how many apply?

Thanks,

Josh

WFU2USN

Josh,

Don't be so sure that there are people who "don't want" NFO - in my case I'm far too blind to be a pilot. It's a great job and I know many who love what they do. They are also the wing commanders in squadrons (someone, correct me if I'm wrong, please) and have an important job on the planes they're on.

As far as how many who get accepted vs. rejected, it varies, based upon the Navy's quotas and whatnot -- call an officer recruiter, they'd have an idea how the numbers work out. Getting accepted is NOT a guarantee, either -- gpa, rec's., etc. count a lot too, especially since more people are applying for OCS given the currrent job market.

Good luck!

RC

Too bad i know guys that are having a hard time just getting to OCS let alone being picky...

i know a guy waiting on a med waiver for marine ocs for 7 months, if they offered him a spot to ocs for dog walking, hes so frustrated, he would take it.

It takes LOTS of work and luck just getting there and to think making it out is another whole ball game. The conviction is HUGE!

cdv478

Josh,
don't discount NFO if it's offered to you because someone says "no one wants it". Read as much as you can about NFO's and you'll find they aren't just along for the ride. The highest scoring U.S. fighter ace in Vietnam was an Air Force WSO or "backseater" in F-4's. In the Navy, the only aces were Randy Cunningham (pilot) and Willie Driscoll(RIO). The two are always mentioned in association with their victories; Cunningham is rarely the only one given credit. Teamwork between the pilot and NFO(s)is critical to their mission. If you go for NFO, do it because you want it, not because you think it may be easy, and I bet you'll be happy.

Dave Shutter

To answer your question, and not to knock NFO's, but traditionally NFO slots are harder to fill from the recruiter stand point and usually easier to come by. Has less stringent test score min's, age, height and visions standards. That said, no comissioned designator should be considered "easy" to get. I've met a few SNFO's who take for granted that they will make it through simply because of the NFO need right now. Bad attitude. You go through OCS and API just like pilots and you have just as many chances to fail and possibly get attrited and stand to have the same physiological problems (ie; airsickness) I've heard instructors say that SNFO Primary can be even more difficult than SNA Primary. A lot more academics and of course "flying" from the back seat.

squatrrs

I didn't mean my question to sound the way it did. After reading the responses and reading my questions again I understand how it was taken, sorry. I want to be an NFO and am suffering from sdome anxiety on the application process. I am becoming nervous on if I will be accepted to OCS or not. I have talked with an officer recruiter breifly and am going to speak with him personally next week. The question was asked to ease the anxiety, but came out wrong. My eyes are questionable for pilot right now, so I am shooting for NFO, or anything actually! I have posted on here before, but if any of you want to help me out with suggestions or anything related please feel free!! Like I said, I will be applying for NFO as my #1 choice, then Supply Corps and I heard that needs of the Navy was good for your last if you really want to be an officer.

Thank you guys!!

Josh

Dave Shutter

Again, not to knock NFO's but the bottom line is they have a ton of slots and few people that want them. If your qualified then you shouldn't have a problem getting it, just my opinion. Remember, the check's in the mail for 548 SuperHornets and from what I read most of them will be 2 seaters, that's a lot of NFO's who'll be dropping bombs. A lot of my frinds from OCS are down the road in NFO Primary and they say it's hard as hell! You'll be doing a whole lot more than just telling the pilot how much gas he has left!

cman

Josh, I'm going to be applying for NFO as well. I'm 28 so I don't even have the option of seeking a SNA slot.

I first talked to a recruiter near the beginning of June. Right now I'm holding on my medical prescreening (the hospital that had my med recs took its sweet time finding and sending them) I'm pretty sure that I'll be needing a med waiver, but I think I've got a good shot at getting it.

Like you, I've heard conflicting things about the difficulty in getting picked up for a NFO slot. When I first talked to my recruiter he told me that the Navy really needs flight officers at the moment, but that was over a month ago and I'm sure slots feel up quick.

Chris

Edited by - cman on 07/14/2002 22:12:13

cman

Just wanted to add this so my last post isn't misunderstood.

I'm pumped about the posibility of serving as an NFO in the navy. I don't feel like I missed out on anything by not meeting the age restriction for SNA. Hell, when I first went to the recruiter I didn't think that I would qualify for anything in aviation. I have degrees in English and political science, don't have 20/20 eyes, and I knew that waiting until 28 to seek a commission was pushing it. So, when the recruiter told me that I was a good candidate for NFO, I just about got a stiffy.

The navy wouldn't shell out the dinero for training and paying all its NFO's if they weren't a valuble part of the mission.

Chris

Brooklyn

Why is there even a question on the need for NFO/RIOs? Sure, one guy gets the stick, and one guy drops the bombs, (along with the other 5000 things they both do in the cockpit), but they both fought and worked endless hours to be able to wear the coveted wings of gold. Both naval aviators, both one team.

And until I wear wings on my chest, they are both living my dream.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I want an NFO for Christmas. It would be great, someone in the back seat to tell me where the hell I'm going. Right now, all I have is myself in the backseat trying to figure out where the hell I'm going.

Ironnads

Just a thought... The Navy will now accept PRK vision correction for Naval Aviator applicants. Maybe they will aprove Lasik before it is obsolete.

Travis Alexander

USN4LIFE

Chris just wanted to let you know that you can apply for SNA, they have made a waiver avialable up to 31 if you are prior service. I to am applying for NFO, just waiting on the navy you now, you know what they say "hurry up and wait". Good luck man.

quote:
Josh, I'm going to be applying for NFO as well. I'm 28 so I don't even have the option of seeking a SNA slot.

I first talked to a recruiter near the beginning of June. Right now I'm holding on my medical prescreening (the hospital that had my med recs took its sweet time finding and sending them) I'm pretty sure that I'll be needing a med waiver, but I think I've got a good shot at getting it.

Like you, I've heard conflicting things about the difficulty in getting picked up for a NFO slot. When I first talked to my recruiter he told me that the Navy really needs flight officers at the moment, but that was over a month ago and I'm sure slots feel up quick.

Chris

Edited by - cman on 07/14/2002 22:12:13

cman

USN,

Thanks for the info, but I don't have prior service time. Like I said though, I'm not complaining. NFO sounds great to me.

Chris

cjimenez

I just recently found this website and it's great to see all of the posts. It looks like many of you have lots of questions about the application/selection process for NFO or trying to decide if you want NFO. NFO was my third choice, behind Intelligence and Cryptology. I was a former IS2 and thought I was a sure thing for intel...not the case! I was selected last week for NFO and took my oath yesterday. I'm really excited about NFO. Fortunately, I got an Oct 26 slot for OCS, so I should be in API around Feb/Mar. According to the officer processor here in Chicago, many of the SNA/SNFO selectees are not leaving for OCS until next year and I was very lucky to get such an early OCS class.

As far as selection, I'll give prospectives an idea of what I think got me in. I have a degree in political science w/ 3.6 GPA, prior-service petty officer second class, and four years of work experience in info technology. Do NOT skimp on your motivational statement! Write a page and give it to 3-4 close friends or family. If they wouldn't select you, chances are neither will the selection board. Your statement gives the board the opportunity to see who you are...not your numbers. My ASTB scores were OK, probably the weakest part of the application. My PRT was strong...ran the 1.5 mile in 9:15. Run...run...run! It's the hardest part of physical training in my opinion. If you know other naval officers, get letters of rec from them. If there is anyone out there that is going to OCS on Oct 26, I'd like to hear from you!

Later.

Status
Not open for further replies.