• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Accelerated Training

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Gatordev,
Thanks for the info. When I get down there I'll definitely do that. Now it's time to find homeowners insurance.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
I accelerated through Primary starting in February. It does help the NSS alot if you dont suck. If you have a bad flight, it will hurt you. Also, in early RIs where MIF is 2 for some easy things that you could get 4s and 5s on, you are losing out on it. So if you want to game the NSS thing, accelerate through late FAMs and RI's, not early ones and accelerate maybe a BI. If you arent absolutely comfortable flying IFR, you arent going to be successful in the T-34 accelerating. If you manage to get jets, you are going to fall on your face in the T-45 where you are partial panel 70% of the time in instruments. Unless you have airline time or are an NFO to pilot (S-3/EA-6B/F-14/FA-18) you should not be accelerating.

puck_11

Growler LSO
pilot
One more concern if you are accelerating, if you have an awesome flight, with comments like excellent, excellent, etc, but you get stuck with someone who is a miffer, it screws you pretty bad.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I accelerated through Primary starting in February. It does help the NSS alot if you dont suck. If you have a bad flight, it will hurt you. Also, in early RIs where MIF is 2 for some easy things that you could get 4s and 5s on, you are losing out on it. So if you want to game the NSS thing, accelerate through late FAMs and RI's, not early ones and accelerate maybe a BI. If you arent absolutely comfortable flying IFR, you arent going to be successful in the T-34 accelerating. If you manage to get jets, you are going to fall on your face in the T-45 where you are partial panel 70% of the time in instruments. Unless you have airline time or are an NFO to pilot (S-3/EA-6B/F-14/FA-18) you should not be accelerating.

All good points. To put things in perspective, and I think I've mentioned this before, even guys who have 1000 hours of fleet time come back and struggle w/ the T-34 initially when flying instruments. Maybe not everyone, but for the most part, there is a learning curve of varying slope. It's not the easiest thing to fly IFR in.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
If anyone knows kmac, it's very understandable as to why he asks what he does. Imagine having to fly side by side with him. Other than always trying to touch you, he asks question after question, makes comment after comment :icon_tong The overall key here, whether accelerated or not is don't suck. If you do suck, suck less. I've flown with a few guys with prior flight time, none that I know of were on the accelerated and none of them were any better than anyone else. I've flown with 2 different studs who had zero prior time and were rock solid. Could have been a good day or just solid overall performers.

MasterBates

Course Training Standards. Spells out EXACTLY what you need to do to get a 2, 3, 4. 5 is kind of up to IP Discretion.

Here is the CTS for "Landing" for T-44s
-Begins when crossing threshold or beginning roundout, whichever occurs first.
-Ends when slowed to safe taxi speed or when advancing power for touch-and-go takeoff.

*Dual Engine: Arrive at threshold +5/-0 knots of Vref Speed
*Single engine: Arrives at threshold +10/-0 knots of Vref speed
*Touches down in prescribed landing zone
*Lands and maintains +-10 feet of centerline
*Touches down <300 feet/min

In the beginning of the chapter, it states that meeting the standard equates to a Good/4 grade.

The grades are as follows:

1- Demontstrated. When IP demos and student does not perfom during sortie. Also used for SSRs, Solos, etc.
2-Unable. Performance is unsafe, or lacks sufficient knowledges, skill or ability. Deviations greatly exceed CTS significantly disrupting performance. Corrections signigicantly lag deviations or aggrivate the deviation.
3-Fair. Performance is safe, but with limited proficiency. Deviations exceed CTS detracting from perfomance. Corrections lag deviations, and may not be appropriate.
4- Good. Characteristic perfomance is within CTS. Deviations outside CTS are allowed provided thay are brief, minor and do not affect safety of flight. Correctiosn must be appropriate and timely.
5-Excellent. Greatly surpasses CTS. Performance is correct, effiecient, and skillful. Deviations are very minor. Corrections if required, are initiated by the student, and are appropriate, smooth, and rapid.

In a nutshell:
1-Demo
2- You suck.
3- You won't kill yourself, but you still suck.
4- Meets standards.
5- You rock. Keep it up.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Is this public knowledge or IP only? What's CTS?

Yeah, what MB said. That's the dirty little secret of flight school. All the answers are already there. It really comes down to a combination of effort on the individual's part and raw ability. How much of one versus the other is required is always up for debate.

MasterBates

All what I wrote was directly from the STUDENT Master Curriculum Guide.

You know, that little green book that has your spider chart and briefing items in it.

Try reading the whole thing. :D

Heloanjin

pilot
I don't care about my NSS, that was quite a while ago. I am just trying to figure out the merits of it, and more or less curious as to how the whole thing came together. Don't assume that I have a vested interest in it.

edit: I'll add that I don't have the NSS forumla in front of me, but am curious how the Navy decided to use this. Did anything in the formula change with MPTS or did NSS stay pretty much the same (with the minor correction for the value changes assoc. with MPTS)?.

Kmac - The answer to your question is the NSS formula is basically the same as it has always been. It is simply a T-score. That's a statistical term. Google it and you can read how it works.

I don't recall what the specific formula was before MPTS, but I don't believe it used 10% TGI and 90% grades. I think it was 100% grades. Mostly because in the old days, there was no flexibility in what maneuver could be flown when, so the total graded items was the same for everyone.

Where the big difference comes in is the grades themselves. MPTS uses a performance standard grading system. Some say it came from the USAF, but it has its roots in the civ world long before the USAF. Before NSS, there was no performance standard. Guidance to IPs about what a "below", "average", or "above" was consisted of "you know it when you see it."

Why does the Navy use NSS? Because it is a cheap, quick, and easy way to rank students. The ranking is used for selection. Since it just takes grades and there is no subjective input, it is theoretically less subject to outside criticism (like a member of congress asking why their voter's son Johnny didn't get jets).

Why does the Navy use MPTS? Because it sets "objective" standards of performance (unlike the old "above", "average", and "below"). The drive to MPTS got a big boost awhile back when someone said they weren't treated fair, a senator got involved, and it cost a very good admiral a very good job.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Explanation...

That seems to make pretty good sense. Thanks for the description of that, as well as the real roots of MPTS. But that didn't still answer the question of what percent get........