• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Accelerated Flight Training

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mahler

I hope you don't mind me butting in here, but I would like to contribute a little to the suject. First with the issue of competition. I understand the drive of a competitive person being one myself. But I can also say from experience that being successful as part of a team is far more rewarding than personal acheivement. I was impressed by the way New England came out to the game today. They chose to introduce themselves as a whole rather than a bunch of individuals. This leads into the next subject.

Don't be afraid to be the one expaining things to everyone. Not only will it make you look like a team player, but it will help you do better at the same time. Teaching is by far the best learning experience. You will understand the material far better if you sit down and try to explain it to someone else. And sometimes you will realize you don't understand it as well as you thought - not to mention how good you'll feel when the guy you spent all day with in the ready room comes and thanks you because he just aced his exam because of you.

I'm glad to hear about the option on the accelerated program. I have 60+ hours and a PPL, but I would hardly consider myself an experienced pilot. I hope I will be able to pick up military flying fast, but I don't want to put myself under the gauntlet if I don't have to.

One thing I might have a hard time adjusting to is the academics. I've spent my college career studying aircraft and everything that goes along with them. And unlike pilot skills, the laws of physics don't change because it says NAVY on the side. It's going to be difficult being taught aerodynamics from pilots. There are a lot of misconceptions that are taught to pilots - mostly because the pilots that are doing the teaching refuse to challenge their ideas. For instance: How many of you have heard the notion that two air molocules that seperate at the front of the wing (one goes over and the other goes under) have to meet back up at the back?? Or the Newton's 2nd Law thing where some lift is caused by an equal and opposite reaction to the air hitting the bottom of the wing??? Things like these sound convincing, but it just doesn't work this way. Yet, I've heard of many heated arguments between engineering and air science professors because the pilots refused to budge on what they've been taught. Maybe it's an ego thing or something. There is an on going issue as to why the FAA still allows incorrect material to be taught to pilots. Oh well, I guess I'm just gonna have to learn to grit my teeth and nod my head in agreement in flight school. Sorry I went off a bit, but I deal with both pilots and engineers on a daily basis, so I've built up some frustrations on stuff like this.

Back to the flying stuff... What are some of the major differences between civilian and military flying??? I keep hearing of all these people with hundereds of civilian hours washing out because they couldn't adjust. Is it really that different??? Maybe it goes back to the whole notion of pilots not being able to change their ways I've been wanting to take some instrument instruction, but I'm nervious it will hurt me more than it will help me because I'll pick up "bad habits". Any takes on this???

James

beau

Mike,
For your first post you mentioned going to API/Primary and not telling anyone about prior flight time...........well I thought I would do this when the time came, but it turns out they make you fill out a sheet with your prior time/ratings. O yeah, and if you lie and they find out (which they will) you will be shot out of the military on an integrety violation. I would have to agree with Matt on the whole team concept and your reputation carrying it self in the military.........hell I can see it at the NROTC level! Remember, Officer first, then a pilot not the other way around. Good luck with the navy thing though.

Finch

GO SOONERS!!!

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Mike,

I kind of find that remark about the T44 surprising. I found the T44, or King Air, to be a fun plane to fly, and of course the longer legs were good to go on cross country with! BUT, on the other hand, those longer legs meant that you and another student go flying with an IP, and you guys swap seats, so for a 3 hour flight, you guys are each doing your 1.5. The NAVAIDs were excellent once you get the hand of entering the information.

But, talking about being in the seat, I had a pilot trainer the other day, lasted 5.6 hours, high work, and pattern work. The damn FE had a Natops Check, so I had to "participate" and get quizzed on all his/our malfunctions, lol. All good stuff, but boy was I happy to get out of the seat and call it a day.

Anyways, to reiterate what Matt has been saying... competition is good, but so is teamwork and helping out your buddies. You WILL need those friends, because even if you are the whiz bang smartest guy in the room, you still won't know everything, and that friend of yours might just have flown with the IP you are about to fly with, and might have some useful "gouge" for you, or heck, a good sounding board for you to make sure you in fact studied for all you should have. I know this is beating a dead horse, but to date, I am very impressed with the degree of cooperation and support you get out of your fellow aviators in the aviation pipeline, and even now in the Fleet as I am upgrading. I can only think of one or two occassions off hand where I have encountered "check valves" who were only in it for themselves. And they either got an attitude check, or weren't around for long.

Oh well, my 2 cents, got to get back to work.

mattlowery

You all are making me nervous with all of this flight talk. I honestly don't know jack about flying, just that I want to. I am going to OCS March 23rd, and then hopefully on my way to becoming a Navy Pilot. Matt S., did you say you didn't have any flying experience before the Navy?? I just want some kind of encouraging words that I actually have a chance in hell learning everything from scratch and not having a very technical background. My degree was in Finance, so I didn't have a technical major either. I am just nervous about not having a prior aviation background I suppose. Any comments, suggestions, etc?? Thanks!

Matt L.

Grunt

I have a degree in international affairs and have spent the last 6 years of my life learning how to shoot people and sell drugs (legally sell drugs! what do you think I am!) and I'm giving this a whirl. I figure that if I can eventually figure this stuff out, anyone can. I didn't even crash in the Hornet sim, I must be a natural, hehe (pardon me while Ii roll around on the floor and laugh at myself).

Mike the Grunt

mattlowery

Thanks for the encouraging words, really appreciate that. I have no clue right now what Goose's real name was. However, i did jsut crawl out of bed, hehe, kinda foggy still in my harddrive. Well, I've gotta get to work and crunch some numbers and get through this snow somehow, can't stand this nasty slushy crap. Take it easy all.......

Matt L.

mattlowery

Matt S., Thanks a lot man. That is my exact flying experience right now. I have never sat in the front seat of any plane. It helps a lot to see a similar situation, someone that has made it from nothing to Hornets, awesome, congrats. Also, thanks again for providing so much info to all of us and answering questions. I'm sure you'd rather be elsewhere and have better things to do soemtimes.

Matt L.

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Geez,
I think I'm going to go blind reading this forum. Man you guys are long winded. First off, Grunt, I'm proud of you because you didn't crash the sim. Of course the sim operator had the "crash override" on because they knew there was a "leg" in the cockpit.
I'm a criminal law major with no prior flight time when I went to flight school. Over the past few years I've flown the T-34, T-37, T-2, A-4, T-45, EA-6B, F-18, F-16, TAV-8B(I flew that with an instructor. I'm not crazy enough to go solo) and civilian 737-200,300,500 and 700. I also have time in the UH-34, CH-46, UH-1N and CH-53E. Do not misconstrue this as boasting, rather, my point is to reinforce all those nontechnical degree individuals. In other words, if I can do it then so can you!
Matt is right in the respect that some prior flight time is good for comfort and familiarity in the cockpit but that's it. Yes, military aviation is that different. Airplanes are designed to get from point A to b safely and efficiently while pursuing the enjoyment of breaking those earthly bonds. That's civilian flying. Military pilots fly a weapon. The goal is to become proficient in the capabilities of your platform and deny the enemy his priviledge of inhaling the same air you breathe. That's the goal of every military combatant whether it be a PFC with an M-16 or an F-18 pilot. The goal is the same. Not all prior flight time SNA's do well. Habits or ego get in the way. It all depends on what kind of person you are and OCS and flight school will determine your character. Do not flaunt the fact you have prior flight time but if asked, do not deny it. Help others because flight school is a team effort. Those who choose to do it alone will remain that way throughout their career, if they have one. I thought I knew everything about aviation until I was required to teach others what I know. I realized that I didn't know my ass from a hole in the ground. I learned more by teaching others then I could have possibly learned by just being instructed. That's enough. Questions, comments or complaints....I'm listening. Semper Fi! Frumby

Attack Pilot
Major USMC

Grunt

Frumby, I don't even remember the altimeter reading zero, or the dome going red (which is what it did when I crashed the Tomcat sim 11 years ago), but he did have the no-crash button pushed for sure. (Matt, feel free to embarrass me with anything funny that I may have done without realizing it. I'm always up for entertainment.)

I have to agree completely with you about the principal job of an aviator. That's to kill the enemy or, depending your platform, to provide support to those who do. The whole military is a team (despite the rivalry) and no part of it can fully execute its mission without the others. Hence the emphasis on combined arms and joint operations. That requirement for teamwork translates to the lowest level. Besides, as officers we are always responsible for training. Our own along with our subordinates. Might as well get used to the feeling now. I won't have much to offer to my peers initially in terms of making an airplane do what we want it to do, but I have been an officer in an operational unit for a while and I'm sure I'll be able to contribute some of that experience to the group to help make us all better. Besides, I'll be the stone who doesn't understand all this stuff and be asking for your help, hehe.

Mike the Grunt

Grunt

Hehe! I did have a problem maintaining airspeed as I chased you in circles all over the sky. Picture me flying a tight corkscrew pattern while almost completely rolled over the left wing while Matt just zipped back and forth and watched me drop airspeed until I would have to roll and dive to regain speed while Matt shot me again, and again, and again, and again. What did you have, 42 kills? I think the unlimited fuel and pernament burner was all that kept me in the sky.

Just wait till I actually get trained (hahahaha)!

Mike the Grunt

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
Hey Matt,

When do I get my turn in the sim? Jusst kidding I grew up in those things. My dad was an F4 and F16 driver for the AF. I remember going to the squadrons in Iceland and Germany and having my dad send me off to play in the sims just to get out of his hair. Oh what fun. I seem to have a faint memory of landing an F4 inverted!

Dave

Grunt

quote:
Anyways, by the looks of things, meaning the rate my eyes are healing and how Grunt is coming along with his application, hell, we might me in the same class down the road! Hey Grunt, you teach me about being an officer, and I'll teach about "I'm hitting the brakes, he'll fly right by!" That was a joke, in case you didn't catch it!

Heheheh!

My app is coming along, but it looks like I'm 6 months out at best. I've still only git the 60% solution on how this is going to work. I'm sure giving some great training effect to the folks at BUPERS because of the 50 Interservice Transfers they do a year, apparently none are like my situation. Latest update: When I left the active Army, they forgot to enroll me in the IRR. Now, to do the transfer, I have to enroll in the IRR first, then apply for the transfer. I almost lost my mind when they told me that. They had the wrong address, so instead of tracking me down, they just archived the file. I couldn't stop laughing after I hung up.

Mike the Grunt

PeacoatMan

Michael Webb,

Has anyone ever told you that you talk a lot, maybe even too much?

I believe you're looking for Nick Bradshaw, a.k.a. Goose.

Good luck with the application.
Fly NAVY!
Joey

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Michael,
First off, let me explain my meaning when I mean "help others." I mean that in a general sense. Your prior experience will lend you no help in study sessions or very little. FAR's aren't a concern to the military. Did you know that only CNO can violate a USN or USMC pilot? DoD approach plates are a heck of a lot different then Jepps. Takeoff alternates do not exist. It will help you when you break down an approach plate and for "some" planning. Help others is a general statement for all because it is very difficult to do it solo. Just don't be a braggart with prior experience. I promise you, it will bite you but after reading your posts, I don't believe that's in your character.
I don't know Lucas but I have met Tom. He was in the class behind me. Real nice guy. I thought I had a bad commute initially but I was leaving a SWA city (Corpus) to go to Chicago. He has to drive 2.5 hours just to get to an airport that would take him to Chicago and it wasn't a SWA city. I hope his commute has gotten better. I haven't seen him or talk to him in over a year. Semper Fi! Frumby

Attack Pilot
Major USMC

Ski3

Hello Frumby,

I noticed the conversation shifted slightly towards Southwest Airlines, so I just wanted to ask you something:

I heard that SWA requires a 737 rating in order to be hired, is this true? If its only preferred, then roughly what percentage of newhires get on without the 737 rating?

Jack Szarkowski
szarkoj@erau.edu

Status
Not open for further replies.