• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Academy to Carrier Op

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you attend another service summer seminar program and apply for USNA, just make sure your Blue and Gold Officer knows you attended a summer seminar. Maybe work into your personal statement with what you learned there. Among other things, summer seminar exposes the candidate to what the academy will be like. And while USAFA is different from USNA, your experience will be a signal to the USNA Admissions Board you know what you are getting into. So...do that in 3 years. ;)

wowowowowow

If you attend another service summer seminar program and apply for USNA, just make sure your Blue and Gold Officer knows you attended a summer seminar. Maybe work into your personal statement with what you learned there. Among other things, summer seminar exposes the candidate to what the academy will be like. And while USAFA is different from USNA, your experience will be a signal to the USNA Admissions Board you know what you are getting into. So...do that in 3 years. ;)
thank you I will definitely reach out to my BGO jr year at around the same time as I apply for the summer seminar and let them know that I am extremely interested in attending the naval academy and that I have at least applied to the summer seminar.

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
I'll throw a bone in here for OCS as well. If you are interested in flying for the Navy, OCS is the only route to guarantee yourself a pilot slot before signing on the dotted line. If you have the ability to pay for your college or are competitive for non-ROTC scholarships, and you know you 100% want to fly, then IMO that is the way to go. I looked at going to USNA or doing ROTC, but ultimately I knew I wouldn't be happy being SWO or Sub drafted, which can happen due to the needs of the Navy, and is why I decided to go the OCS route. Obviously having your college paid for brings an entirely different calculus into the equation, but you have to ask yourself what your goals are.

To add to that point, it is entirely possible that you fail your initial flight physical for something that went undiagnosed during your accession physical, and generally with OCS that meant you got to choose if you wanted to redesignate or get out, which isn't necessarily the case if you're in USNA or ROTC. Again, it all comes down to what your ultimate goals and motivations are, so I would spend some time soul searching before you decide on a certain path.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
I didn't mean attending/ tuition when I was talking about being able to afford to go to Annapolis. what I meant was like summer seminars. and yes I'm looking forward to applying to a summer seminar I meant the summer seminar at USAFA because I can afford to travel there and everything I read has said attend a summer seminar even if its not at the academy you want.

Don't be discouraged if you don't get into summer seminar either. Nowadays, it is largely a recruiting tool aimed at people who live in areas of interest or far away from the Academy and couldn't otherwise make a weekend visit or something.

wowowowowow

Don't be discouraged if you don't get into summer seminar either. Nowadays, it is largely a recruiting tool aimed at people who live in areas of interest or far away from the Academy and couldn't otherwise make a weekend visit or something.
Thank you, I know that most people that apply to summer seminar don't get accepted to it so I know my chances are little to none and I won't let that stop me from at least trying to achieve my goals and if I don't get accepted to the naval academy I won't let that stop me from trying either.

wowowowowow

I'll throw a bone in here for OCS as well. If you are interested in flying for the Navy, OCS is the only route to guarantee yourself a pilot slot before signing on the dotted line. If you have the ability to pay for your college or are competitive for non-ROTC scholarships, and you know you 100% want to fly, then IMO that is the way to go. I looked at going to USNA or doing ROTC, but ultimately I knew I wouldn't be happy being SWO or Sub drafted, which can happen due to the needs of the Navy, and is why I decided to go the OCS route. Obviously having your college paid for brings an entirely different calculus into the equation, but you have to ask yourself what your goals are.

To add to that point, it is entirely possible that you fail your initial flight physical for something that went undiagnosed during your accession physical, and generally with OCS that meant you got to choose if you wanted to redesignate or get out, which isn't necessarily the case if you're in USNA or ROTC. Again, it all comes down to what your ultimate goals and motivations are, so I would spend some time soul searching before you decide on a certain path.
Thank you, I certainly have contemplated OCS a definitely wouldn't be happy being SWO or Sub drafted I 100% do wanna fly, and when the time comes I will definitely apply to the USNA but also USAFA and other nonmilitary collages.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Thank you, I certainly have contemplated OCS a definitely wouldn't be happy being SWO or Sub drafted I 100% do wanna fly, and when the time comes I will definitely apply to the USNA but also USAFA and other nonmilitary collages.

Before committing to any service, you should come to the reality that there is a distinct possibility you don't end up flying. Maybe your grades don't end up good enough. Maybe there's a strong sub draft at USNA. Maybe there's a missileer draft at USAFA. Maybe you get to flight school and get airsick too often or you fail an anthro test. The reality is that you just don't know and you should join the military with the understanding you may end up not flying your "dream" aircraft - or at all.