• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Academy, NAPS, PLC, USMMA

CaseyL90

I received a nomination from the Congressman in my district to the Naval Academy.

I think it would be an extreme miracle if I was accepted right out of High School. My GPA is low compared to USNA midshipmen (like 2.8 probably will graduate with a 3.0)

When I went to the nomination interview an Admiral told me that my GPA was the only thing holding me back, and that my extra-curricular activities were good, and my SAT was a little bit above average.

He told me to take the January SAT, as well as look into NAPS. He gave me a number to a guy named Tom Teshera who is apparantly part of the admission office..not sure!

Anyways, if I got accepted into NAPS would take it in a heartbeat.

Questions are:
1) Basically you just apply to the USNA, and the admission office will offer you a NAPS option if they feel you are lacking 1 thing? You don't actually have to do anything special like contact someone through some secret phone call, do you?

2) If I don't get into either, but I go PLC instead at a state college, can I still apply to USNA next year? If accepted into PLC, isn't there some obligation to go to OCS, preventing me to go to Induction day and plebe summer?

3) The Admiral also recommended I look into the USMMA, since that is where he graduated from, and every academy offers the cross service commission selection. However, you need a congressional nomination for this? I already turned my congressional nomination packet way before he even mentioned this, so how would I get a nomination for USMMA? I should have asked him right then and there, but I didn't :(

Thanks
Casey

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Curious who the admiral is? Can you PM me?

Thanks.

JBM

Gainfully Employeed
None
1) you can not apply to NAPS the admissions board will either accept you to USNA, accept you to NAPS, or to a foundation school

2) I'm not sure but I think you could still apply to USNA after accepting PLC because I'm pretty sure you do PLC Between before your junior and senior, or just senior year.

3) USMMA does require a congressional nomination to get into, and about 20% of each graduating class commission into the Navy. I believe it would be too late at this point to apply/get accepted into USMMA for this coming fall, but it could be an additional option for next year.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
I told USNA at this time my Sr. year in the form of a letter that I'd do just about anything to come here and once I arrived, I'd be doing everything I could to excel. Couple weeks later came my foundation offer, I accepted and here I am today. If USNA is your dreamshot, then let them know it... if you are willing to do that extra year, let them know it, and tell them you'll work your @$$ off during it. I don't think it can hurt.

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
Just remember, Marine PLC is a great option. But this means you would want to go Marine option through the Academy or USMMA correct?

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
I told USNA at this time my Sr. year in the form of a letter that I'd do just about anything to come here and once I arrived, I'd be doing everything I could to excel. Couple weeks later came my foundation offer, I accepted and here I am today. If USNA is your dreamshot, then let them know it... if you are willing to do that extra year, let them know it, and tell them you'll work your @$$ off during it. I don't think it can hurt.

When I was interviewed by my B&G officer he asked me if I considered NAPS as another option as a way to getting into the academy. I said yes and he wrote it on the side of his notes. But yes you're right on about telling them about your aspirations.

CaseyL90

1) you can not apply to NAPS the admissions board will either accept you to USNA, accept you to NAPS, or to a foundation school

2) I'm not sure but I think you could still apply to USNA after accepting PLC because I'm pretty sure you do PLC Between before your junior and senior, or just senior year.

3) USMMA does require a congressional nomination to get into, and about 20% of each graduating class commission into the Navy. I believe it would be too late at this point to apply/get accepted into USMMA for this coming fall, but it could be an additional option for next year.

http://www.usmma.edu/admissions/facts/nominations.htm

What about this?

Where/who would I tell that I really want to become part of the USNA? The BGO?

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Basically all that site says is that you have to go through the same nomination process for USMMA that you do for any other service academy. In your case, it's already too late to get a nomination to USMMA for this year, so you'd have to reapply next fall. They have the same nominations cycle that the other academies do, so all the nominations won't take place till next fall. When I applied for a nomination, my congressman had me put the academies in order of preference. As far as getting into USNA, tell your BGO how you'd be willing to do foundation/NAPS in order to get in. Like Danmav said, you can also send the admissions office a letter, although I'd definitely get in touch with the BGO first. Mine really went to bat for me and called the academy when he saw that I was borderline to get in.

JBM

Gainfully Employeed
None
Bottom line is be persistent, show them you really want in and would even be willing to reapply. Just about 1/3 of every class had gone to some other college/school before they got into the academy. We had a guy in my class who was a senior at USC before getting accepted.

CaseyL90

I didn't go to the summer seminar last year. I am still able to go?

Also, anybody else recommend I write a letter to the office of admissions saying I will bust my ass to get and take as many years allowed to get into the USNA?

navy09

None
I got a nomination from Anna Eshoo a few years back. Get in touch with Mr. Teshera, he's pretty much been a Blue and Gold officer since they opened the Academy. He is a tremendous resource and a great guy.

I'm pretty sure you only get one shot at Summer Seminar (summer before your Sr year in HS).

I didn't get in, but it was a pretty fun process. I went the ROTC route and I've loved it. If you absolutely want to go to USNA, don't give up. On my cruise last summer, about half of the USNA Mids had done something between HS and USNA (active duty, NAPS, civ college).

CaseyL90

My BGO is Capt. Scott Perkins

When I called Mr. Teshera, I asked about the NAPS program. He asked me to send a copy of my HS transcript, with a phone number on it. Sent it to him, never heard from him again. Do I call back?

I'm not sure if my NROTC application is accepted. It is currently at Pensacola getting processed. I also applied to Texas A&M, but have not heard back. Most colleges I applied to probably wont respond back until Feb or March

I have only heard from two universities that I have applied to, and got accepted to both.

CSU Chico (BAD IDEA)
SJSU (an okay school)

Definitely not going Chico, that will just divert me away from becoming an officer. SJSU is okay, it has an Air Force and Army ROTC. In case I ever decide to go Chair Force :)

Also, does anyone recommend I write a letter to USNA admissions saying I would bust my ass and really like to go to NAPS, if possible?

JBM

Gainfully Employeed
None
Don't worry about not hearing anything yet, I didn't find out until April the results of my package. And I didn't find out that I did not get into NROTC until March. Be patient and keep focused on getting in shape and finishing up strong in high school. If you really want it you can make it, but you want to be able to show that you continued to work hard.

As far as the letter goes, it can't hurt. Just make sure it is well written and talk to your BGO about it first and see what he thinks. There are about 12,000 applicants/year so the admissions board is really busy right about now.

phrogpilot73

Also, does anyone recommend I write a letter to USNA admissions saying I would bust my ass and really like to go to NAPS, if possible?
No - it'll go in the circular file because there's 12,000 applications on their plate right now. Have you finished the personal statement part of the application? That's where it should go if you haven't? Summer Seminar is not even remotely a requirement. It's more like a recruiting/attrition tool for USNA. I never went, and I'd say neither did about half of my classmates.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ditto. The personal statement part of the app is where the begging and pleading go.

You mentioned Texas A&M...I can tell you if I had it to do all over again, I would have gone Aggie Corps. USNA was what it was, and I don't regret going, but A&M would have been a much better fit.

Summer Seminar is interesting, but there's also a pre-frosh sort of deal at Canoe U. Spend a night or two with some plebes/youngsters as a "drag". I did it during the winter of my junior year, and it's a good way to see a bit more of the place and see how it really functions. Eye-opener to say the least. Also did "Spend a Night With the Corps" at Aggieland.