• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Academy Laptops

Status
Not open for further replies.

H20man

Drill baby drill!
im happy that our is a laptop, mobile is good, plus we can take ours on our Sea Year to help us with our projects we have to do.

LoneSailor

Are you allowed to own a laptop while at the Academy? If so is it possible to get it hooked up to the Academy's internet?

viv

Midshipman 4/Trash
I'm fairly sure that you are allowed to bring your own laptop to the Academy eventually, but I'm not sure what the usage policies are.

LoneSailor

I'm also curious to know what other type of electronic devices you are allowed to own while at the academy.

H20man

Drill baby drill!
well i belive that the USMMA issues PDAs as well.

yeah WiFi is sweet, ours will have em.

VAmookie

You can bring whatever electronic devices you want... computers, pda's, cell phones, walkmans.... although plebe year some of that stuff youre not "supposed" to use. There is no reason to bring your own computer. The one the academy recommends you buy is tip top

xof

laptop experiment

The academy issued laptops to several dozen plebes in the first semester of '00. My roommate had one, and had to bring it to his classes along with all his books (which, of course, sucked). At the end of the semester (or maybe the year) the powers that be saw that the laptop test group had suffered academically, and plebes have been issued desktop systems ever since.

Regarding bringing a non-issue computer. Officially, only machines running XP professional are allowed on the network (so big brother, er, Ward Hall, can snoop on your stuff), but I had a mac laptop and never had a problem.

Regarding other electronics. Bring as little as possible to I-day, because it will all be confiscated, stored and potentially lost. Have your parents mail you your stuff after plebe summer is over.

cougar23

I visited the Academy as part of Candidate Visitation and still wasn't clear on the question of when certain devices, such as cell phones and personal cd players, were allowed for plebes? Can anyone answer this question?

petescheu

yeah you can forget that stuff as a pleber... no music plebe year, unless the kinder, gentler usna has changed that. no pagers, cell phones, etc...

H20man

Drill baby drill!
yeah plebe year restricts you on what you are allowed to have.

For here at USMMA it is...

no music, no DVD, phone use only on sundays from 0700-1900. Of course thats only the stuff i can think of off the top of my head for electronics.
There are also other restrictions on what you can have in the room.

cougar23

When I went on my CV(April 2004), the plebes I stayed with had their cell phones? Can someone currently at USNA clear this issue up?

MidMom

Cell phones

In 2004, the incoming class was encouraged to bring their cell phones. Plebes were allowed to retrieve their cell phones from storage and could use them to make the 3 scheduled phone calls during Plebe Summer. After each phone call, the phones were returned to storage. At the end of the summer, after Plebe Parent Weekend, my son was allowed to keep his cell phone in his room and use it according to whatever guidelines his company had established.

Eagle32

I'm taking you to the looneybin.
Yeah, I'll clear it up... once you give me their names and alpha codes.
Just kidding.
Sorry can't help you, I was there too long ago. Just do not get caught, and it is all good.

Status
Not open for further replies.